“5 stars, couldn't have asked for more”
other travelers have booked this property
Cosy spacious rooms with great views over open countryside
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Cosy spacious rooms with great views over open countryside
Beautiful old country house with quirky features and tranquil setting.
Spacious parking.
Roaring open fires on chilly days and nights.
Space to work in every room.
Home cooked  food. Breakfast included, lunch and Dinner optional extras.
Spacious grounds with  riverside seating.
River Piddle in grounds
Relaxing areas.
Alfresco dining on our sunny south facing patio.
20 minutes drive to beautiful beaches and the Jurassic coast.
Art and craft gallery with all exhibits for sale.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 6 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
JoannaPag...
“5 stars, couldn't have asked for more”
Reviewed August 11, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

I stayed here the night before my wedding. The house is beautiful and immaculately clean. Tracy and Martin are accommodating, generous and such thoughtful hosts. I have no hesitation in recommending South House Retreat to anyone that will stand still long enough! Very highly recommend.

Aug 31, 2017
We so loved being able to make your special day that bit more comfortable. Happy marriage days always
Stephen P
Exmouth, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed May 9, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

This place is lovely. Tracy and Martin have converted an 1820 large house which retains wonderful character. We were welcomed with tea and white wine on the lawn and a chance to play with Benji the dog.Tracy and Martin could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The house is spotless quiet and the breakfast was terrific.
Highly recommended

Paul S
“The perfect country break.”
Reviewed May 8, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

I've just spent the most idyllic few days with Tracy and Martin at their beautiful home in the stunning Dorset countryside. Not only is the house beautiful and immaculately kept throughout but you are also welcomed like one of the family and instantly put at ease. It really is like visiting old friends. The rooms are beautifully decorated. The catering is superb. The grounds are beautiful and you are in the heart of the most gorgeous corner of England. I would wholeheartedly recommend South House Retreat to anyone looking to relax and unwind and I'm certain that I shall be back soon.

FiofBucks
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“Space to retreat”
Reviewed September 12, 2016 for a stay in September 2016

In so many respects, Martin and Tracy Willoughby have created space - spacious rooms, a quiet, calm space, space to relax, a homely, welcoming, thoughtful space. The setting is delightful - remote, quiet, rural with a stream through the garden. South House has been beautifully renovated and the rooms are large, quiet and the beds luxurious and cosy - even a fluffy dressing gown is supplied and Tracy had very thoughtfully put on the heating in my room as the September day had turned chilly. I appreciated the selection of tea bags too. Guests are welcomed into the kitchen where breakfast is freshly prepared and other meals can be had too - even a packed lunch. Check first re special diets though. I liked the little gallery space in the hall - a great idea. Rooms are not en-suite but there was no clash or rush for the bathroom though a sink in the room would be a welcome bonus I think. It was easy to book and I got rapid responses when I when I texted with queries. A lovely spot with a great welcome.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The relaxed and warm welcome and very comfortable room
Liked least: Not having a sink in my bedroom!
Traveling group: Solo Traveler
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Sep 18, 2016
We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at South house Retreat. We try our best to help all our guests enjoy their stay. As you mentioned at very busy times such as summer season , it is possible that you may share a bathroom with one other room i.e one or two guests, but I am glad as others you did not find this a problem. Due to the age and listing of the building we are unable to run plumbing directly to the rooms as it would be a logistic nightmare. We very much hope you choose to recommend us and stay again. Kind regards Tracy
scary dad
“Homely tranquillity”
Reviewed July 31, 2016 for a stay in July 2016

Great house, hosts and hospitality. Lovely dinner with our hosts. Thankyou for all the local information and suggestions for places to visit. Delighted with our purchase..a beautiful painting to remind us of our visit and our wedding anniversary.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Aug 8, 2016
Lovely to have you stay. You were delightful guests!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing