“Perfect 1st Couples Holiday”

Zakantha Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Argassi
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Zante last year in July 2011 for a week B&B and we didn't want to leave it was so amazing! This should be a 4 Star hotel!

The Room: The hotel room was spot on. There were no problems in the room, the bed was comfortable, the shower worked perfectly, and it was cleaned spotless everyday!!! The maids even organised our shoes nicely in a row! The only problem we had was a broken lock on the balcony door when we arrived, but that was fixed by the time we returned to the room from dinner!

Food: The breakfast was lovely, with a continental breakfast buffet style which was lovely! We ended up waking up late a few times over the week so we missed out some mornings. And when we missed out we headed over to a little cafe called Ruby's Cafe a minute walk away for a fry up!

Location: The hotel is located perfectly at the end of the busiest street in Argassi which may I say, was not busy at all. It was all so laid back relaxed and beautiful! Definitely a perfect location for a relaxing couples holiday! When you walk out from the bar, you walk onto a lovely terrace with tables, chairs and sunbeds which follow round to the pool and the pool bar. But best of all, steps straight onto the beach which is lovely and quiet. Though be warned, you have to pay for beach sunbeds as they are separate from the hotel! We happily stayed on the tables and chairs on the terrace playing cards and not getting sandy!
As for the street it's on, it is a lovely walk with a great selection of bars, shops and restaurants. We tried something different every day for lunch and dinners and took trips to the bars which had comfortably loud music and a great friendly atmosphere. Don't forget to take the horse and cart ride, which is lovely and romantic!

The Bar: The bar is run by an amazing woman called Monica! And our one regret was not spending more time at the hotel bar! The bar was quiet but full of conversation with couples of all ages, chatting to each other and having a good time. We had drinks at the bar on our last evening, and Monica was lovely even having banter with us about how my boyfriend should let me win snooker and giving us extra free coins for the pool table, topping up the peanut bowl and being VERY generous with our drink measurements telling me that "if you're going to drink, do it properly" when I didn't want half half vodka to coke, though my boyfriend was happy with his ratio! You'd feel very welcome at the bar!

Overall: Overall this was an amazing hotel and I would return here again without a doubt! Perfect 5 Star treatment for a 3 star hotel! Don't let one bad review ruin your choice! Thank You for a perfect couples first holiday!

Room Tip: non-sea view rooms are just as lovely!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CATxo

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is the first time that I have holidayed on bed and breakfast basis and was quite pleased with the experience. Breakfast was OK...not too keen on the mushrooms...they had a funny taint to them. Sausages were little chipolata type and bacon was OK. Scrambled egg was not too pleasant so I spent the rest of the week eating toast and croissants. The room was a bit small for me and my two teenage children, but at the end of the day its only for sleeping in. Air con was free for the time we were there (14th to 21st August 2012) but I think you have to pay at other times. Noticed that the air con in our room (room 321) made a faint whining noise which became annoying. Also a charge for the fridge and safety box. We had a room on the side of the hotel which gave a view of the sea towards Zakynthos town and harbour. Room was cleaned every day and new towells each day. The pool was lovely, and managed to get sun beds every day..although it appeared to get busier toward the end of our stay as an influx of Greek and Italian tourists arrived. We were one of only a few British parties which was actually quite nice. Apparently I chose the expensive week when most Brits stay away :). The bar was a bit expensive but Monika the bar maid was very friendly. Argassi town itself has limited acivities apart from eateries and the usual gift shops there was not much else to do (lots of crazy golf). We had good meals every night, and restaurants to note were Peppermint, Premier and also Rossi's which is an Australian bar specialising in "Brit" food for when you need an injection of real bacon and tea. A taxi to Zakynthos town was well worth the 8 euros, although I suspect the test for taxi drivers in Greece is less stringent than it is in UK....a good white knuckle ride. We took a couple of day trips which we booked through Thomson...a bit expensive but well worth it (although we did not see any turtles on the turtle spotting trip!!). All in all we had a great holiday and found that the hotel was all we could have wanted...

Room Tip: We paid extra for partial sea view, we were on top (third) floor on the side of the hotel. View was...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Imanoot
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel itself as a building is OK, rooms are spacious, bathrooms are clean, the furniture, equipment is in good shape, so you can feel comfortable. The air condition is very effective and quiet (it is connected to the balcony door- the AC doesn’t work if the door is open).
The breakfast room is quite big, however the tables with food are often crowded, because they are squeezed into a corner and often you have to stand in line.
Don’t eat your dinner at the hotel – rather try the local tavernas or gyros pitas to go.

I didn’t like the fact that the hotel had no free wi-fi. If you paid for it, it was only available in the lobby (not even at the terrace at the back of the hotel). In this day and age I think it’s unacceptable to charge your guests extra for wi-fi (hotels with less stars in Greece and the rest of the world offer wi-fi for free).
The rooms that face the main road can reach wi-fi from a restaurant Stars which is across the road (the password is/was 1234567890 :))) thank you very much : )
If you decide to eat at the Stars, you’re probably going to wait like 1 whole hour for a basic greek salad.

The hotel halls are very loud, there are no carpets, doors have a gap at the bottom, doors close loudly (there is literally no quiet way to close them, even if you’re careful). So when you’re in your room, you can hear every step, word, door slam …

Make sure you put your things away properly !!! (in the drawer, your bags …) – the cleaning personnel decides for themselves what is trash, and they take your things from tables and night stands and throw them away (different plastic glasses, boxes…they just throw it away, don’t care if you still need them or what is inside). I have also read in other reviews of this hotel that they had the same problem; luckily we didn’t lose any important things, like the previous reviewer.

I also thought the hotel/the staff were sometimes too ‘self-sufficient’’ and a bit arrogant, e.g.:
- on the morning of our departure they opened the dining room only 10 minutes before our bus to the airport was scheduled to leave. I have never stayed in a hotel before, where they were so arrogant in this matter. In all my previous experiences in other hotels, breakfast was available very early if the guests had to leave early (even before 6 am if necessary). I would understand if it were just a few of us, but in this case there were 15-20 guests and we all had to gulp down a quick sandwich in 10 min and then run to our bus.
- the woman at the bar was very rude: e.g. the door to the back of the hotel was always open, but one time, when we left it open, she rudely ‘reminded’ us to close it (I understand if they want the door to remain closed, I just don’t understand if it’s open all the time, and then she just chose this one time to bother us with closing it …).
- one time I also heard this same woman (from the bar) arguing with some guests: from what I could understand, she probably gave a hard time to an older couple who tried to bring some food to the back of the hotel or the pool area, and a man explaining that he had never seen that kind of behavior anywhere else.

I understand those were minor things, but still they leave a certain stain in the hotel’s reputation. I think a 4 star hotel should do much better and the hotel staff should work on their behavior and respect the guest a bit more.

The sunbeds are very quickly taken in the morning, so come early and put your towel over it if you decide to stay by the hotel for the day (some people think everything belongs to them, and they put their towels over a whole section of sunbeds and later when they come from the breakfast, they decide which sunbeds they are actually going to use and remove their stuff…)

The beach is sand, water warm and shallow, nothing special.
Rent a car/bike and go to other much prettier beaches to the north (Xygia – 3 beaches, Makros Gialos … - stone-pebbly beaches) or south (Vasilikos: Banana beach, St Nicholas beach …- sand beaches).

You can walk from Argassi to Zakynthos town: about 30 minutes one way, mainly on the main road, they don’t have many sidewalks, so be careful. There are also buses but not very late at night.

Room Tip: rooms facing the main road are louder at night, but you can use the wi-fi from the restaurant nearby
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank tci210
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hello everyone, I return from my beautiful holiday on 14th of august . Hope this comment will make you think twice before you decide to go to "this fabulous 4* hotel".
Let's begin. First day. The arrival day. They gave us a small room, wich had 2 single bads joined, facing the street, across the street was a bar, and a small market for souvenirs. Very noisy. So we decided to go downstairs to change the room. The receptionist told us that the hotel is full and we have to wait for the mornig to talk to the manager. We went back in the room, trying to calm down..to have a shower,..but when we pull up the toilet lid, we saw A MARK OF FECAL MATERIAL!!!. We came of nerves, we went again back and miraculously found a room. The room was much better, with a see view, a little bigger, the mini bar was opened, and we didn't have to pay for it.(if you want to have the mini bar you have to pay 2E each day).
Second day.Nothing special happend. The breakfast, was the same every day, english breakfast..
Third day, everything was ok..we found a very nice beach, called "banana beach", we went in a cruse ..we saw blue caves, navagio..pretty nice..all ok..
Fourth day. the maid, stole from my boyfriend's wallet 20E. The wallet was in a bag and the bag was closed. Of course they have a safety box but was not for free..and they say is a 4 star hotel..ha ha ha..We decided not to tell enything, thinking that we might spended, or lostet.
We staid 7 days, and in the last day, before check out, all the bags were prepared, we went out for about 15 min. when we came back I checked my wallet, and 50E were missing...again..the wallet was in my bag, the bag was closed and on top of the bag was a lunch box..We went down..the receptionist call the maid and the manager..they were very rude to us..and in the end told us.."how can I know you really have this money, you can came and say you had 1million ...if you didn't have a safety box..its your problem.."
This was the worst part..the good part was the beaches, restaurants (zorba's, peppermint,) and our friends..
Beside the hotel service, everything was ok.
My advicee is for all you want to go there..think twice..you might have a good time..but real chance to regret..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Andra P
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is a little gem of a hotel. Its at one end of the busy street in Argassi town and definately has the best part of the beach. Its a very narrow beach in litte caves which are very stoney/seaweed, however this hotel sits on the sandy part and literally steps straight on to the beach. The sea is lovely & warm & shallow too so perfect for kids. We stayed B&B so only experienced breakfast which was okay. We had a good selection of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, sausages, beans. Also cold ham cheese tomatoes, yoghurt, biscuits breads, cereals, melon & peaches. Was okay to set you up for the day! We had lunch a coupe of times at the pool bar - but found it cheaper down into town. We had to pay for fridge in room @ 2 euros per day, but this was useful for chilling drinks, water, snacks etc. Rooms were cleaned every day and fresh towels too. The pool area was kept very clean and I have never come accross a place where you didnt have to get up at the crack of dawn to put down your towels!!! Seriously, you coud get some beds at 10am, and very good choice at 9am (there are rules to say you cant reserve them until 10am). I unfortunantly had my purse taken by the pool bar on the first day we arrived (30Euros inside) but no clue if it was staff of a customer, but asked and nothing handed in. This did not spoil the holiday - I should have taken more care!! Also, I felt it a shame that there was no evening entertainment at the hotel, although it does state there isnt any in the brochure.
What was great that you could get to Zante town in under 10 mins by taxi (8ish euros). This is a lovely bustling town, plenty of places to eat, shop & entertain, and lovely harbour too. Again, dont rely on your cards to pay in shops, restaurants etc as we had same trouble in resort. There are cash machines but a bit hit & miss! We also went to water park on trip with Mytours which boys loved and would recommend for a fun day out (64 Euros for 4 of us).I would go back again to this hotel, although we do ike to try new places. Hope this has helped you & I havent rabbited on too ong!

Room Tip: Choose a quiet room ( pool facing or beach facing) as you could experience more noise at the front...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank coco2320
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I got back from my trip few days ago. I was staying in hotel Zakantha Beach with my friend from Aug 1 until Aug 12th and we had half board. First of all it is due to say that this hotel is even near four stars, and everyone that we talked to who also stayed there agreed. And it is also not value for money, since our friends stayed at cheaper hotel with better value for money.
So about the food, breakfast was small buffet made from ingredients for English breakfast, plus some croissants, one bowl of tea biscuits, and for fruit there was only one small plate with watermelon which didn't look fresh,ever. And it was same every single day, no changes for 12 days!And dinner is not buffet, it is a choice of three- four meals and few garnishes, and few salads and also one kind of soup per day and one kind of dessert per day. Meals were not quality at all, usually one Greek dish which is usually shameful to Greek cuisine, and some sort of pasta or potato dish with very bad sauce or spice mix.Soggy and same salads which were not good. So food was terrible for us, and we are very sorry that we actually paid for it. And also to say there is always one member of staff overlooking how much food you put in your plate which is very uncomfortable.
Rooms were the only good thing, because size was ok, but the bathroom was very small and there was no bathtub but small shower instead. and we had a room facing the street, just across from club /restaurant named Portokali which worked every night with very loud music untill 3-4am. So very noisy, and bad sleep.Mini bar was locked and they charged per day to open it,an so was a very small safe that could only fit documents and money. Walls are also thin so that didn't help with noise problems.
The garden was nice, and didn't charge sunbeds, but those are all taken before 10 am. Pool are was ok and clean, but small and there were a lot of children jumping so it was not for swimming. There was a snack bar also but we didn't try anything there.
And the hotel beach was small like in all Argassi and they charged for sunbeds even for hotel guests. And not very clean beach area.
So the last thing that i have to say is about hotel service. So we had an unfortunate event where the maid accidentally or not took or threw away two full bags with snacks,and sweets that we both at local super market and other bag with two very special olive oils, some souvenirs and ouzos. So when we addressed our issue at the reception, first lady that we talked sad that maid threw away those bags thinking it was garbage. When we realized that there were olive oils and ouzos also missing we talked to the receptionist again and she told us, but not very politely, that hotel will compensate the cost of missing stuff, than some manager came in and sad they will purchase the missing items for us. We agreed that was ok thing to do, but they also made some uncomfortable comments to us which were not very nice. So when the second receptionist was giving us the bag with that which they purchased she made a offensive comment that it was not nice from us to lie and do something like that. So we returned that bag and sad that it we were very offended with everything that has happened, and they sad nothing to us, not even they are sorry.
So i wouldn't recommend this hotel and my only advice is to pick another one because there are nice hotels and people in Greece an it would be shame to have as bad of experience as we did.

Room Tip: If you decide to go to this hotel anyway do not take the room at the street side, there is a club na...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Borjana B
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just got back from Zante and had a fab holiday (6th July - 20th July). When we arrived I wanted a room with a different view and the woman on reception happily let us look at a different room and swap. The rooms were lovely, modern and cleaned very well everyday. We was B&B but only went to breakfast 3 times as we didn't really like it. We ate out at resturants every night in Argasi and all of them we're gorgeous! The pool was fab and went just at the right time as when we was leaving more children were turning up! Can't wait to come back again next year.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple