“Awful place”

Katerina Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Argassi
“Awful place”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks b&b here. Standards v low, definitely not 3 star. Breakfast terrible-no changes in 2 weeks, just cereals, bread , jam, tinned fruit, ham, cheese and occasional boiled eggs.'orange'juice was cheap fizzy pop and was vile. Rooms basic; ours had a broken toilet seat &cracked wash hand basin.Towels old and ragged. Glass allowed around pool resulting in breakages and glass in feet. Glass broken into pool and guests, not staff retrieving it. Very noisy pool bar staying open until 3am so no sleep if you're near it like we were. Hotel staff don't care nor does the owner so long as she can squeeze a few more euros out of late drinkers. Dont go there.

Room Tip: Not near the pool bar eg 111, 113, 115, 117
4 Thank Watte00

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

In August 2013 we stayed at Katerina Place for the second time. On hind sight we wish we'd stayed somewhere else. Our first visit there in 2008, put us in a cellar room behind the bar with no outdoor access other than a high window-type opening. Upon complaint we were eventually moved to a huge room with 2 balconies. We requested this room last February by emailing twice with no response. When we arrived in August this year the receptionist apologised that it was not possible to put us in our requested room, even though it was empty for the first part of our week. Instead, we ended up behind the bar again, in a second floor, small, room, albeit hidden behind a palm tree so no views. The toilet didn't flush, the air conditioning didn't work and the shower head kept coming out of the wall, along with wall plugs and screws, every time the cleaner cleaned. Bed linen was changed for our last 2 nights rather than mid week.

The breakfasts were meagre and no good if you have a gluten-free diet. I ate hard boiled egg and raisins for 3 mornings and then went to a friendly local breakfast bar (The Snack Academy). The owner was out and about, but never smiled or spoke to anyone other than close friends. On the Greek night, which sounded good, she sat with friends /family and ignored everyone else. The evening was devisive in that, newcomers who arrived late and sat in front of everyone were invited to dance and not us 'oldies'. We eventually left and enjoyed a good night in a local bar (The Green Frog).

There was a 10% discount for eating at the Piccadilly, within the hotel grounds, but they could not cater for anyone with a food intolerance or dietary requirement.

We would not stay in this hotel again.

Places to eat: The Peppermint; The Green Frog for Saturday attainment; Legends for entertainment and sport.

3 Thank White1958
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have always stayed in 4/5 star hotels when travelling, however I decided to try out the Katerina Hotel. I don't know what people expect from a 3 star hotel but I was more than happy with the accommodation. I stayed in room 210 it had a bedroom, lounge area, bathroom with shower and two balconies. Rooms were kept spotless, however the maid didn't have much cleaning to do as I always clean up my mess wherever I go. I stayed bed and breakfast and although I only had breakfast 3 times out of 10 I found it more than adequate. Pool bar drinks and snacks I found to be excellent and very cheap. There were always plenty of sunbeds and pool areas were kept spotless. I found all the staff to be very friendly.
Argassi itself is a small town however it has everything you need for your holiday. Plenty of restaurants, bars and supermarkets. Everything is on your door step from car hire, booking trips and massage/ beauty. The beach is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and although the beach is small the Ionian sea is crystal clear warm water with plenty of water sports at good prices. The restaurants at the beach serve good food at good prices and if your needs are not satisfied at argassi there are plenty of other beaches around and zante town 8 euros in a taxi.
Overall excellent holiday. For the people who moan about this hotel I suggest you pay the extra and book 4/5 star hotels because this was the cheapest holiday I have had in years and one of the best.

Room Tip: Room 210 for 2 people.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Philomena R
Warrington,England
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed in typical Greek self catering studio . Usual amenities , fridge, kettle, toaster , two ring stove and very little in cutlery ,crockery and pans . Room was simple , adequate and kept clean , towels changed sporadically , sometimes just one , sometimes all , and sometimes none. One wardrobe , two beds , a couple of draw units , no TV . Shower had a wall fixing , base and curtain , and not just the usual wet room hand held style . Air conditioning was an extra payment . The Katerina complex is quite large and has a nice pool and poolside snack bar. Very well positioned off the main road , but everywhere is in Argassi as the resort isn't that large, but it still has enough life to keep you occupied .

manchester
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our second stay at Katerina Palace, which we enjoyed as much as the first time. Our room was 227 in the new block [ which was further away from the pool/bar ] but this wasn't a problem. The room was very spacious and nicely furnished. The bathroom had a bath as well as a shower. The maids cleaned our room daily as well as all public areas, and Katerina herself was always around checking that everything was clean and tidy. The breafast was continental but had quite a good choice of foods, and the pool bar served nice food at reasonable prices. All the staff were very helpful and friendly towards us. The location is great because we were near to all bars and restaurants but didnt get disturbed at night with noise from bars etc. We would definately reccomend this hotel as it is good value for money.

3 Thank carol2013883
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at Katerina Palace in August 2013. The hotel on a whole was kept very clean, the rooms were kept clean, my room was basic but adequate. I stayed in room 311, the toilet and bath could do with being changed, as the toilet seat was stained, and the bath had seem better days. Before I left for my holiday I emailed the hotel and asked to be in a quite block, because of my son, and on a high floor. My room was opposite World Tour, bar/mini golf which stayed opened till around 1 am, so was a bit too noisy, but when I asked to move, I was told that the hotel was fully booked. I was offered another room over a week into my holiday, but seen as I only had only 5 days left of my holiday and the room I was being offered was situated above the room I was already in, I didn't think it was worth it, so declined.
I paid for bed and breakfast, but wished I went self catering. The breakfast was repetitive and boring, not worth getting up for to be honest. Most days there was cereal, bread, jam, chocolate spread, eggs, ham, cheese, tin fruit, tea, coffee and juice.
One of the biggest problems that I found at this hotel was the fight for sunbeds. There are not enough sunbeds for the amount of people staying in the hotel, the first morning I went down to get a sunbed, all beds already had towels on them, but there was no one by the pool side. In a nutshell, if you want to get a sunbed, you would need to be up around 6 am to get one.
Staff members, I found Joanna, Denise and Anastasia to be very helpful, I couldn't say the same about Katerina, I found her to be quite miserable.
In my opinion this hotel needs with updating, and there needs to be more entertainment, and more things for the children to do.
Places to eat, Piccadilly, Apollo and Posidon. The food in these places are very tasty, and I would strongly recommend to give them a try.
24/7 and Ruby's for snacks, a must is the crepes.
Places for ice cream, Vanilla.
I enjoyed my holiday to Zante and would return, but wouldn't return to Katerina Palace.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Blackninja21
Sheffield
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'll start with the positives for this hotel.
It is pretty basic but I found it to be very clean and in my opinion that's the most important thing. The beds and towels were changed daily. The location is excellent, far enough away from noise but within very easy walking distance of the strip. I found the staff helpful and attentive. The pool area and pool bar were lovely and I found food and drink were no dearer that if you went out of the hotel which was good. There was free air con which would have been sufficient however I personally chose to pay extra for the better air con. I don't feel that 30 euro for 10 days was too expensive and would pat it again for sure as it did make a huge difference.
However that's where the positives end.
There is no way near enough sunbeds to cater for everyone and if you weren't willing to set your alarm clock at 7am to get one then unfortunately you were out of luck for the day. I personally found this extremely frustrating and it did put a downer on the time spent there. I refuse to do this as I know from the opinion how angry this makes me and it is not my idea of a relaxing holiday having to set alarms for matters like this. Never once did I see management removing towels even though it was complained about. As a result myself and my partner spent a lot of the time having to sit in the uncomfortable chairs around the pool bar just to get some sun. Also a lot of the sunbeds and umberellas looked like they had seen better days and were in need of replacing.
The breakfast was really the weakest point of this hotel, with hindsight I would have booked self catering, once again it seemed if you weren't there for 8am when it opened there was virtually nothing left and in all fairness it was not worth getting up for, we ate twice in 10 days and that was enough.
If there were more sunbeds and the breakfast was better this hotel would have been great.

As for the resort of Argassi it is a beautiful little gem of a place. It was a nice relaxing place but with enough bars and restaurants to keep you entertained. I would definately return but maybe not in the Katerina Palce.

4 Thank LyndsaySheffield