Stayed for 1 week's self-catering (£360) in Room 220 in La Palma block next to the very quiet road - large, very clean, apartment. No heating or aircon. Very large bed with firm mattress. Asked for extra blankets and pillows - no problem. Modern bathroom - clean towels every day (some a bit thin). Kitchenette small and just the bare minimum of equipment. Paid a deposit for a kettle and toaster. TV small and not much to watch - BBC World and CNN in English. Fantastic unobstructed east facing 180 degree sea views from large balcony (overlooked by neighbours so no privacy), which gets morning sun (if there is any). Weather variable - some days very cloudy and cool - every day was windy. Could see Tenerife in the distance if it was clear. No problem with airport noise - the occasional plane was a welcome break from the sound of birds (joke). Mostly older guests who enjoyed walking - mainly German but also Spanish, Dutch, Italians. Pools nice and sunny but cold.
Hired a Renault Megane for a week through Thomsons for £108 - well worth it to explore the island. Keen drivers will love the twisty mountain roads but you need a good map - try the 1Euro map from the tourist office in Los Cancajos or the 3euro map from the hotel reception. There are fantastic views from 7000 feet up at the top of the island down into the vast caldera - and observatories (not open). Santa Cruz is a nice place to wander around and discover the 'ship museum' and the the dancing dwarves.
You can cut through the tunnel in the mountain to reach Puerto Naos or Tazcorte for a day on the (black sand) west coast beaches that seem to get better weather than Los Concajos. Bananas are a big industry here and the place is blighted by their plastic covers in parts.
If you want sun stay on the west side in Puerto Naos or Tazcorte. Very enjoyable for a week - not sure about a longer stay on La Palma.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel-Apartamento Las Olas is a 7-minute walk from Cancajos Beach, and a 3-minute drive from La Palma Airport. The complex features outdoor swimming pools, a gym and free Wi-Fi zone.All apartments Hotel-Apartamento Las Olas have a balcony or terrace and a living area with satellite TV. Guests can cook in the well-equipped kitchens, and there is a handy mini supermarket on site.The aparthotel offers a large sun terrace with loungers and views of the sea and mountains. There is a paddle tennis court, beauty salon and massage service. Bicycle rental can be arranged at the 24-hour reception.Secure parking is available on-site and an airport shuttle service is available. Las Olas is less than a 10-minute drive from the island's capital, Santa Cruz de la Palma. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Las Olas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aparthotel Las Olas Hotel Playa De Los Cancajos
- Hotel Las Olas La Palma/Playa De Los Cancajos