“Great diving getaway”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Seattle, Washington
“Great diving getaway”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We recently spent a week at Atlantis (in May 2014) and enjoyed ourselves immensely. I dive but my partner doesn't and we booked a reservation for a room only. Five minutes after our arrival I was invited out on a dive with a group of several other divers. Talk about feeling welcome! But first we sat in the open air dining area for our room check in procedure and Toby, the manager, came over and visited a while - he's a great guy and has lots of stories.
Everyone was very friendly - they all said hello often and they knew our names even before we had met some of them. They are extremely well organized and we were very well taken care of. They really know how to take care of their guests.
The dive team is great. They emphasize safety and follow through with it on every dive. You will need a dive computer and can rent one from them if you don't have your own (you can rent other gear as well if need be). Diving fees are per dive or it's a flat rate for daily unlimited diving. When we were there you could dive up to five times in a day. The break-even point is around three dives, so if you are diving three or more dives it pays to get the unlimited diving. I don't know how it works if you are with a group but as a single diver they let me decide each day what I wanted to do. Of course I took unlimited every day! They have lots of nitrox tanks so it's well worth getting nitrox certified either before arriving or from them once you're there.
Every diver gets a shelf and clothes rack for gear. There's a great room for photographers with counter space and outlets enough for everyone. The dive shop is compact and beautifully maintained. They really take their diving and their guests seriously. They review every dive before going out and have nice hand-drawn maps of each dive area. They take care of all your equipment - they emphasize that they want their guests to be able to concentrate on diving and not on hauling stuff back and forth to the boats.
Diving along the shore is lots of muck diving and I saw critters I'd never before seen. There are also coral formations although many were damaged in the typhoons of a few years ago. There's a car down there that's become a reef as well as other man-made stuff that's been taken over by critters.
The real treat is the day trip over to Apo Island, about 45 minutes away. There are absolutely stunning corals and marine life abounds. There's a turtle sanctuary and it's turtles all the way down! There's also a fantastic wall dive. I wish we'd been there longer to have a second trip out there. I'm not sure how often they take a boat to Apo, probably more often during high season. There are two morning dives and then the crew barbecues a huge lunch for everyone and time for a stroll on the island or a nap or both. Then there's an afternoon dive and back to the resort. If there's time enough you can have another offshore dive or two.
The food is great, they have an excellent chef and there's a menu with plenty of choices. Every day at lunch and dinner there are chef's specials - a choice of appetizer, choice of usually about four main entrees and a dessert. It's a great deal and wonderful food. For you fellow caffeine addicts you'll be glad to hear they make great espresso.
There is a lovely spa but I never got around to visiting it so I can't much comment other than it looks very inviting. There is also a nice pool with a bar next to it up behind the spa and it was a great place to take a dip after diving.
They have a small shop where you can get equipment you might need and they have lots of t-shirts and the like. If you need toiletries or snacks and the like you can take a taxi or car into town. We never had a reason to leave the resort our entire visit - everything we needed was right there.
They have pick up and drop off to the airport, about a 20 minute drive. Our driver, who took us to the airport, actually had us sit down while he stood in line with our passports and luggage and got us checked in for our flight. He didn't leave us until he saw that we were through all the formalities and in the waiting area.
I could go on but if you've read this far I think you've gotten my drift. We will definitely be returning to Dauin and Atlantis in the future. I want to swim with them turtles again!

Room Tip: There are four rooms facing the ocean that looked great but I don't think there's a bad room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thanks Rhiar – we loved your “drift”. You articulated the essence of our dive resort extremely well and we appreciate your wonderful review. Hope on your return trip you find a bit of time to try our spa – and I am sure the turtles will be very happy to swim with you again ☺

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The Atlantis Dive Resort in Dumaguete is a great place to stay they are located in a beautiful area next to the ocean and they have great service. Learning how to dive there has been a blast especially with my diving coach Norman who works there and in puerto galera atlantis (He's the best). For all you diving lovers or who want to learn how to dive, Atlantis hotel Dumaguete is the place for you! Great accomodation, great service, great food, all dive instructors are professional and great, lots of fun and the whole team really made my stay worthwhile. Thankyou Padi and Atlantis Hotel you have made my one week a hell of an experience! :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Glad our team helped make your trip great Sophia. Keep in mind that we offer the entire range of PADI courses, so you can join us again for AOW, Rescue Diver and EFR, Specialty courses…. all the way up to IDC for you to continue your diving education. Thank you for your excellent review - and for posting the photos. ☺
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 16, 2014

the resort is amazing and the staff are so friendly! They remember your names. The dive instructors are brilliant and fun, My instructor being "Marco." This was my first time in dumaguete and it was the best time of my life.

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Your first time, and we definitely hope it is not your last Treise! Thank you for your amazing review.
Northern CA
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I was kind of an odd duck when I stayed here: a single diver with a room-only reservation. Most of the guests were in dive groups with prepaid packages that bundled all their meals, room diving, etc. Also, I had booked my reservation in China (and Chinese) and somehow they thought I was a party of two!

All this was no problem. The excellence of the hotel and dive staff, and the natural Filipino grace and hospitality, was a delight as I was coming from a very busy week of business and looked forward to the diving and relaxing spa.

Since I was there to dive, I will comment on that first: fantastic macro (aka 'muck') diving with knowledgable divemasters who knew where to look. Take the Apo Island boat($75 extra charge, lunch included) and have three dives on the most pristine reefs I have seen in a long, long time. I did not dare to think reefs were in such good condition so close to land-based dive resorts. So, my first two days of diving made the whole trip worthwhile. But I still had three more days and they did not disappoint. So many critters and the night dives were some of the best I've had. I have been diving all over Asia Pacific waters for twenty years and my time at Dumaguete revived my hope that there are still quality reefs and dive operations out there.

Bring your dive computer: use of one is mandatory. You can get up to six dives a day for a flat rate, but I was not on a package so the pricing depends on what you arrange before arrival. The food and drink was wonderful, beer cold and welcome after so much diving, and the other guests were fun and congenial. What more could you want?

All in all, an impressive, professional, wonderful dive resort, and only about an hour's flight from Manila. Go during whale shark season and you may get lucky!

Room Tip: Check out the spa: reasonable and welcome after so much diving.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for your excellent review Carol, and we’re so glad you enjoyed the diving, our resort, and spending some relaxing time in the spa. Indeed most of our guests do opt for our all-inclusive packages with accommodations, all meals and diving included, as these packages do provide the best value. You’re right about the great condition of our reefs as our diving in Dumaguete and Apo is all located in the Dauin Marine Sanctuary, which is one of the world’s first marine sanctuaries, keeping our reefs pristine and giving this area the moniker of “Macro Paradise of the Philippines”.

We apologize, but the information we received from your online reservation was indeed for 2 people, and though your last minute reservation was for accommodations and breakfast only, the all-inclusive option was also available when you booked to take advantage of our all-inclusive rates.

No need to wait for whale shark season to get lucky, as you can visit us again year-round and schedule an optional day trip to nearby Oslob where you can snorkel with these beautiful creatures any day.
Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Lovely accommodation, superb food, helpful staff and a first class diving experience. The team took care of the group from arrival through to departure. Great with young divers and experienced adults. I cannot recommend highly enough. Dive team are knowledgable and pay careful attention to equipment and safety. The camera room is a superb facility and the spa is perfect for post dive relaxing. Will also organise day trips and special evening entertainment.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen O
Thanks Helen for your high recommendation - and we love being called brilliant. ☺ Our dive staff is definitely first class, and we proudly just received our 10-year service award from PADI. Since you mentioned the camera room, I’m sure you captured some wonderful photos (or videos) from your dives and a return trip will only add to your photographic collection.
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We have been in this resort for three nights for a long weekend and we particularly liked the attention to details that all the staff show to you. For example they remember my drinks preference but, more important, they asked me if I had food allergies and they were making sure my food had no peanuts.

Resort is very green and well maintained, beach is not big but if you are there you are almost surely a diver so you won't spend much time above water anyway.

Food is really nice and the menu changes everyday.

Only advice, try to go there with a diving package because if you book the dives individually there as we did it becomes very expensive. I especially didn't agree with the 75 USD/person charge for 45min boat trip and back to Apo island which was not including the dive cost nor the marine park fee...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Attention to detail is exactly what brings our guests back time after time. You are totally correct that the best value at our resort is in our all-inclusive package that includes accommodations, all meals at Toko’s restaurant, and diving (up to five dives a day including night dives). Packages of 4 nights and more also include a trip to Apo Island, but shorter stays (of 3 nights like you booked, or less) have that option available al-a-carte and these rates are pro-rated to reflect that difference. Thank you for your very good review and we hope you will be able to spend more than just a long weekend with us on your next visit.
Nottingham
Reviewed May 6, 2014

In short, if you can be bothered to read this we had a relaxing time, good laughs, excellent staff, superb rooms, great diving, excellent (relaxing) beers and better than the Red Sea on any day.

This trip was everything you want in a holiday. The locals could not do enough for you. The service levels are high but not 'in your face'. We highly recommend Atlantis in Dumaguete. The true test being; would we go again? YES we would without hesitation.

Room Tip: See Toby there and he will sort out all your adventurous needs
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AtlantisDiveResorts, Public Relations Manager at Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Wonderful that you found everything you want in a holiday with us! And the best part of your excellent review (which we greatly appreciate) is that you would visit us again – without hesitation. You’re absolutely right that there is nothing quite as good as relaxing after a great day of diving with a nice cold beer (or other beverage of choice) ☺
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#2 of 16 in Dauin
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#7 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete? Share your experiences!