“superb food and good diving”

Bahura Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We have just returned from a holiday in South East Asia which included a 5 day stay at Bahura Beach Resort, where we enjoyed a superb break. Our main focus of the stay was to dive at Apo Island a World Heritage site as well as other dive sites around the area.

The hotel is truly boutique with tasetfully furnished rooms with sunken shower cubicles. I would recommend a premiuim deluxe room which has a small balcony. We upgraded as the deluxe rooms on the third floor although very nice are a little like garrett rooms. The staff are also very friendly and helpful willing to attend to all your needs although service is very slow - still you are on holiday. For those relaxing around the pool the furniture is a little uncomfortable some mattresses would improve the loungers, however the pool is spotlessly clean.

The food in the restaurant is excellent. The hotel have recently appointed a new chef (Warren) who is passionate about the local cuisine and very happy to advise on all dishes served. The choice of food in the restaurant is from a daily set menu and beautuifully presented. Currently there is a limited a la carte menu for those who like fast food. This I understand is going to change as the chef adds his own more adventurous and tasty recipes. The delicious home made breads served with the dishes are some of the first ideas to be put onto the menu and the packed lunches for hungry divers are something else!

The hotel has a dive centre where we booked all our dives (3 or 4 a day). We were a little apprehensive at first with a slight communication problem with the staff. However, don't be put off,after an orienteering dive and an inspection of the boats we were sold. Our dive guide took us to some really good sites where we were usually the only divers there. Apo island is a must for those like me love the coral gardens- current strong in places. We took our own gear but the centre had a supply of equipment for hire and after each dive the staff cleaned everything and hung it up ready for the next dive. The sunset dive off the house reef is a must for the mandarin fish.

Just give them a chance - ideal for divers, couples and those who are not interested in a lively night life.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank rosiedives

Reviewed May 25, 2008

The resorts grounds are beautiful, huge pools, and well manicured gardens. The rooms are "western" and roomy. However, the restaurant has one menu for both lunch and dinner. The choices are mainly "local" dishes. The meals were terrible. The dive operation is not diver friendly. This is a resort that offers diving. If you are a "diver" and plan on doing multiple dives you will want to look elsewhere. There is no gear storage, you are expected to lug your gear back and forth to your room each day. In the end we stayed one night of our 7 night pre-paid package. We moved to another "dive resort" down the road and had a marvelous time.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2008

After a disastrous three days from a very unpleasant stay at another resort, we were resigned to the thought that this year's summer vacation in Negros Oriental was a total disappointment. Me, my friend & our families were ready to accept our poor choice of a resort & charge everything to experience.

But then...we found Bahura Resort & Spa. It was indeed a breathe of fresh air, & we were treated beyond our expectations. I won't rate this resort as world class, but this resort is definitely above-average in a lot of aspects, compared to other resorts in the Phils. or even Southeast Asia.

I would like to mention that we stayed in Bahura the week after Holy Week, a total of 3 days/2 nights. We were ushered by the reception staff the moment we arrived & we were allowed to view & check out their rooms. They have three kinds of room: villa, premium de luxe room & de luxe room. We stayed in one of the premium de luxe rooms situated on ground level & I must say that the room is not just spacious, it's clean & the furnitures are very chic, very lovely ambience inside the room. They have a huge bathroom as well, & I love the sunken shower area, my only complaint is the low water pressure in the shower.

I was also able to check their villa, it's the most expensive type of room in the resort, but the moment you step in, you would realize it's really worth the prize. My jaw almost dropped when I entered the villa & there's only one word in my mind - - - FABULOUS!!! But we didn't take the villa coz its a two-level room & there's a narrow staircase leading up to the bedroom, which is kind of scary when you're with a 4-yr-old daughter & another barely 2-yr-old son. I would love to go back to Bahura & stay in one of their villas next time, & the villa is indeed a major reason that made me decide to go back.

I would like to mention that most of the staff in the resort are very courteous, friendly & helpful. From the front desk people, to the f&b manager & staff, and the General Manager, they were ready to help & answer our questions & inquiries at all times. I call that world class service, which is a very essential part of a hotel/resort, whether its a budget, mid-range or luxury resort. This resort has its own dive shop, an outdoor spa, two infinity pools & a 13 feet pool for divers. The beach area is not so nice & needs some improvement, but they have a boat service that can take people to Apo island (30-40 mins boat ride) for some diving & snorkling; there's also a nice beach area in Apo island but you have to pay a fee to use the beach. The food at the restaurant of Bahura is quite good, but I wish they could expand the menu choices since there's only one f&b outlet in the resort.

I like the overall ambience of Bahura Resort & Spa, and would definitely go back soon (maybe during the latter part of 2008). This resort may be a bit expensive coz this is a high-end resort, but you would truly get the value out of your money. I will also highly recommend this resort to anyone who plans to take a vacation in Negros Oriental.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mnl_overkill717
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I Stayed here in a lovely, modern villa before the Easter season started. There were hardly any other guests around. Great pool, great view. Very friendly staff. Food could be improved, but the lunch buffets on Saturdays and Sundays were just fine. Be sure to bring some snacks yourself. Professional Spa-massage service, very good but a bit expensive compared to the usual rate in the Philippinnes.
I´m not sure what it is like when the place is crowded! But off season it´s a great place to stay. Especially if you appreciate your privacy, want to do absolutely nothing and just be lazy all day long. I would love to visit this place again sometime. Please be advised to book through the internet (asiatravel.com), as this will save 50% off the rack rate.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mopje
Reviewed February 28, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Bahura after our trip to Bohol. Firstly, we were not met at the pier, because it seems they outsource their drivers from the city and there was a miscommunication. So we were off to a bad start. The resort is large and sprawling, like a coconut plantation. It is near a cluster of other resorts in the town called Dauin, and I saw how small the other resorts are when we were invited to lunch by a Dauin-based friend, compared to Bahura. Bahura, given proper management and attention, can become a very good resort because of the nice, accessible location. I do not dive, but I snorkel a lot and saw little fishes very near the shoreline. The rooms are large and spacious, especially our cabana, which had a mezzanine. The grounds were clean and maintained. But the food would either be unavailable, or would take too long. And it was not up to par. A big no-no for food persons like me and my partner. The service too, is sloppy, with a manager who just ignored us and preferred to just type away on his laptop, leaving the waiters, who could not even speak very well, to explain the problems concerning our orders. We stayed on a weekend, and on Sunday, we decided not to use the pool because of too many people using it. The waiter said it was the city crowd using it. Do not stay at Bahura on a weekend, if you want to avoid the crowd.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dreamytourist
Reviewed December 30, 2007

The rooms were okay. Staff is not well trained. This place is not well managed; seems like management doesn't have any H&R management knowledge (or even minimum Customer SErvice knowledge) in order to run this place.

* No info whatsoever of the resort services in the rooms
* No restaurant menu in the rooms
* Everytime you call for room service, you are told to call the F&B department - they don't have that information available to you in a brochure.

When I booke for our rooms over the phone (three phone calls and I made sure everything was clear before heading to this resort which is a 1.5 hr drive from where we were), as soon as I arrived and checked in, the first thing the front desk told me was "sorry there is a problem with the room you booked...."

The first night we dined at the restaurant there were bugs all over. They probably haven't heard of such a thing called a bug zapper or even yet a citronella candle.

I have been to a few resorts some expesive, some not - I don't mind paying 5,300 a night if I get my money's worth. This one was just a total dispointment. Very mediocre service. I really think they need to shut this down for a few months in order to train their staff and re-open with a manager who is knowledgeable in the Hospitality Industry!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank islndchk
Reviewed November 14, 2007

In most ways the Bahura resort is a fine place to stay, for both active water sports and lazy relaxation. The two story villas are very modern, attractive, clean and comfortable with lots of room to stretch out...more than satisfactory...but handicapped folks will have difficulty negotiating the narrow, winding staircase to the bedroom. Also, if booking a villa , ask them to turn the A/C on 3 hours before your arrival....it takes a while to cool down. The pool is great....large, separate roped off areas for 13 foot depth, family-friendly yet romantic under the stars... nicely shaped and landscaped, good swimming day or night. The restaurant is very good...attentive service, good food. The opportunities for diviing, snorkeling, a boat trip to Apo Island...all well managed. Friendly, helpful staff. The only problem is the beach itself...lots of rocks and stones among the sand...and the stones extend well out into the water...so it's hard on the feet....but that's what nature planned. Would I return? You bet I would! if you're going, plan a side trip to Valencia...it's a nice, picturesque little town. And spend some time in Dumaguete....good food and entertainment at Coco Amigos.....and try to say hello to Mike Butler, impresario!

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank hotrod419fl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Liquid Dumaguete
#7 of 16 in Dauin
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Bahura Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!