“The Most Beautiful Landscape”

Bahura Resort and Spa
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Dauin
Jinju, South Korea
“The Most Beautiful Landscape”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Room is spacious, pool is great, and sea is clean and clear, thus it is swimmable if you have aqua shoes though it's not white sand beach. My family really enjoyed swimming there. It is easy to observe diverse marine lives and colorful coral even at snorkeling level. In the aspect of landscape, this resort is the best one among others I've visited so far. Further, I can't understand other reviewers who have compalined about food because most menu was above average level, and the entire menu was available during my stay for five days. Room is also clean, spacious, and equipped with the biggest bed I've ever seen. However, it seemed much older than I expected based on the worst review. I couldn't sleep well at the first day due to terrible noise from A/C. Water pressure both of toilet and shower was not enough. Overall, room condition was just acceptable level. All the staffs were kind and friendly. Though staffs were not highly professional (It means that they were not like hoteliers working in five stars hotel in huge metropolitans.), they served us with warm smile and dignity. I'll definitely recommend this resort to everybody who plans to go to Dumaguete or Dauin.

Room Tip: Delux room seemed better than premier deluxe room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LazyTravel_79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Central Florida, Florida
Reviewed September 1, 2012

While we've never spent the night here, we have visited for day trips on a number of occasions. During our first visit, they gave us an extensive tour of the resort including each type of room from the least expensive to the villa. The rooms were very nice size and of course the villa was larger than most apartments in town. As the title says, the pool or should I say pools here are fantastic. We have visited many of the local resorts on day trips and Bahura's is by far the best we've seen. We always eat when we're there and the food is very good and nicely presented. The grounds are nicely maintained, but like everywhere else in the area, the beach is not that welcome. It's quite a hike from town, but you can catch any of the many buses or local transportation that travel the highway between there and Dumaguete City on a regular basis.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mabuti
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We checked out a couple of resorts including Antulang (where we actually stayed one night) and Atmosphere. Bahura is where we would come back. The rooms were clean and in good state in well-kept and expansive gardens. Highlight is the pools--multi-level and just the right depth for relaxing and layout gives a not crowded feel even when shared with other guests. The restaurant is adequate for the size of the resort and food was good for the price. This is a good place to base yourself when exploring the island including Apo Island just across and the mountain lakes about an hour away. That it's not right in the city of Dumaguete didn't bother us at all since there was little in town we wanted to see anyway. For a relaxing getaway to go diving or snorkeling, this area is the place to be.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank hav4wannatravel
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
Reviewed May 5, 2012

1. Setting, a long way from Dumagete, some 20kms. So the hotels answer is to charge you 100PhP one way when during the daylight hours, you can flag a jeepney down for between 10-15Php! At night however, you need to make arrangements.

2. There isn't an awful lot to do at the Bahura! The pools are excellent, but that's it! There is no actual beach as such and calling it a resort is stretching it a bit. Calling it a spa is in fact cheeky...as far as I could ascertain, you order what you want and someone comes out from the town!

3. The scuba however is very good and tremendous value.

4. Ditto the rooms. Ours was clean, well appointed, comfortable and spacious.

5. Food...breakfast was missable and the rest of the menu was in our experience, often not available and then when it was, it was regrettable (Bruschetta being in fact, a tasty tomato salsa on fried bread and poor bread at that!). The service varied between incompetent (telling you as they brought a starter and one main that the other main was unavailable i.e. too late) or, it was friendly and competent. As with much of Asia, too many people standing around looking bored so they could lose the dross and keep the good staff.

Basically, we wanted a get away place and by the end, wanted to get away from here. The place was dull which is a shame because with some thought and investment, it could be really good. They need things for people to do, don't take advantage of guests held hostage there by charging $25 one-way into town. A resort like this should and needs a courtesy bus. The tours looked overpriced as well.

Alas, despite the excellent diving, I would not go back and would look to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Diving good, rest poor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank LoftusroadW12

Travelers are raving about these Dauin hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 22, 2012

It was great. Regardless of what room you get, it won't matter because all rooms are nice.

The staff were OK. There were some staff who only notices foreigners and not locals which was I think is a bad thing.

The food was good for me, I liked their crispy pata very much and heir bread and dip is one of my fave :)

The pool was amazing. I don't know what they put in the water but the pool felt very soft to the skin compared to others.

My problem though was the lack of other services like shuttle, etc. Shuttle service is quite expensive and commuting to anywhere is a pain since only a few jeepneys and tricycles pass by. At the same time, they can't adjust to their clients need. My dad's flight is earlier than us (he has to leave around 530 am) so we requested for an early breakfast, but they said that their kitchen opens at 6 so they can't do anything about it. It also happened when we were going for an island hopping tour, we need early breakfast because we were leaving early, they also said that they can't do anything about that. It sucks because they could have asked or think of a different way to give us breakfast but instead they took the easy way out and saying they can't do anything.

But overall it was a nice family stay. It was calm there and serene. Hope that next time though, they provide a better service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jiaxin_chen
Manila
Reviewed April 21, 2012

The hotel is maintained.. But it has seen better days. Probably was at its peak 15 years ago. As a family we were put into a villa, with a loft bedroom. The loft was open to the floor below and had a steep set of stairs and a railing with a gap of about 60cm from the floor. Not at all suitable... Our toddler and infant would go straight through that with a 3-4m drop.

The dive shop is very poor... All the equipment is old and badly in need of replacement. 3 divers in our party and none of the depth gauges provided worked. Compared with what their website says... "Our full service dive operation is the Philippines first Aqualung Facility with the all new BCDs, regulators, fins, booties and masks available for rent." - we didn't see any new equipment at all.

There is no in-house DM, but the one contracted from Apo Island (Dex) was very good.

We ended up moving next door to Atmosphere (great last minute rate from Agoda). Bahura charged us 500 Php to drive us the 150m to their neighbors.

We won't stay here again. Ever.

Room Tip: Don't choose a villa if you are a family with small children.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Cristina P
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was going to place my booking in a famous resort in Dumaguete when I chanced upon the website of Bahura Resort and Spa. Anyone who visits the site will see how better it is from the rest. Of course, what you see online is different from the real thing.

TRANSFERS - I booked online, unfortunately, the package did not come with round trip transfers. It costs an additional 2,000 pesos which I paid at the resort upon check-out. If you booked directly with the resort, transfers are included. An option would be to take a cab from the airport to the resort at 500 pesos one-way. Then arrange the drop-off service at 1,000 pesos from resort to airport after your stay. There are no cabs outside the resort - just ordinary buses that can take you to Dumaguete City at 20 pesos/pax then you transfer to a cab going to the airport - such a big hassle if you have luggage.

ROOMS - I was booked with my husband in one of the hotel rooms on the second level. The room is huge with a nice verandah that overlooks the swimming pools in front, coconut landscape and mountains on the left and the sea on the right. Beautiful. The room has a king bed, coffee table with 2 chairs, mini bar, TV with DVD player. They may consider changing the two chairs into a two-seater couch. Downside is that the room assigned to us had an A/C which made a terrible noise. I looked at the brand and it said "Condura Quiet Series".

BATHROOM - Impressive in a way that it was HUGE and properly lit. The toilet comes with a spray washer (bidet as referred to by some) which is a tiny detail I appreciate. Since the bathroom is too large, they may as well add a few shelves for clothes.

SWIMMING POOLS – biggest and cleanest. What they can improve on would be more lights around the area at night. The resort in general is a bit too dark at night. They should refurbish the pool furniture – they look so old and beaten down.

RESTAURANT – Contrary to what other reviews say about the food, I have enjoyed it very much. I’ve tried Filipino dishes along with the salads and pastas – all very good. My husband and I are very good cooks and we could tell they used the freshest ingredients. The serving is big enough for two people. The breakfast menu is also good. A 10% service charge is on top. One setback though is that service was bad. One evening, the dining area was full with 5 couples and 2 families who were probably there on a day tour. We had to wait more than 40 minutes for our food! Other guests were getting irritated. Management should anticipate arrivals. I heard the chef was off and this was a weekend.

HOUSEKEEPING - I stayed here during low season, however, it is not an excuse to be so understaffed. I inquired about the time they usually clean the rooms, I was told 8:00 am but since there was only one person in charge of this, then it would be “anytime within the day”. Granted I was up with my husband at 8 am, I think this is too early to be cleaning the rooms. It should be around 11am - 2pm. We decided not to have the room cleaned and requested for fresh towels and drinking water for the next day.

SPA – We wanted to book for an hour of massage and inquired about the service. We were advised that one of the villas is set up as a spa, however, since the masseuse would take an hour to get to the resort, then we would need to book them in advance. This means the masseuse is hired on a “per service basis” and not a resort employee. You can't get the massage straight away when you need it. Again, no excuse for being low-season. Management should anticipate guest needs, after all, they call themselves “resort and spa”. We were disappointed and decided to just take the massage when back in Manila. Just to add, before our Dumaguete stay, we were booked at Panglao Island Nature Resort in Bohol and the spa is one of the best we have been to so far, open from 3pm-3am. A huge and beautiful villa is assigned for this with at least 15 masseuses. This is comparable to Antel Spa Hotel in Makati, Metro Manila.

DIVE SHOP – We didn’t do any diving, just snorkeling. Guests are provided free use of snorkel, mask, booties, fins and kayak. The sand on the shore is grayish and stony but you don’t have to go very far to enjoy snorkeling. Right in front of the resort is a marine sanctuary where you can see deep-sea fish at snorkeling level. We enjoyed this tremendously. If you want more, the resort offers snorkeling tours to Apo Island at 1,850 pesos per pax for a minimum of 4 pax. When I returned to Manila, I met a colleague who hails from Dumaguete and she said the reef at Apo Island is amazing and I should’ve tried it. I regret not going.

OTHER SERVICES – The resort did not offer complimentary car service to the city of Dumaguete. You’re basically stuck in the resort. This is our first time in Dumaguete and it would have been a big factor if they at least offered this freebie to allow us to see other places in the area. We were only here for a full 2 days and I was not in the mood to get lost trying to get to the city and back. Anyway, I was informed they offered a free transport service to Malatapay Beach Market (just 10mins away from the resort) on Wednesdays. Just to add, Panglao Island Nature Resort in Bohol offered a free drop off at the mall where we were able to shop for shirts, souvenirs, etc. and they picked us up 3 hours later.

Another important detail: The waters in front of Bahura has sea lice aka jellyfish larvae which is naked to the eye. I got stung during our last day of snorkeling. The bite resembles a mosquito bite but extremely itchy, I didn’t realize it was sea lice until much later when I was back in Manila. The next day, the bite triggered my allergies and I developed rashes on my chest and belly. Soon after I had fever. I thought I had caught dengue. The bite was swollen with water, I consulted a doctor who prescribed oral anti-histamine and betamethasone cream. I still treat the bite to this day with hydrocortisone, 6 months after the incident. It gets itchy from time to time and strangely after I bathe or each time it gets in contact with water. It really is very nasty. This does not mean I do not consider going back to Bahura Resort. It could have been worse as Consider bringing Safe Sea to protect yourself from jelly fish and sea lice.

Overall, stay was pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sunshine1705
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#6 of 15 in Dauin
Thalatta Resort
Thalatta Resort
#2 of 3 in Zamboanguita

Been to Bahura Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!