“Bad and expensive place”

and 1 more site!
El Dorado Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Paris, France
“Bad and expensive place”
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Completely agree with some reviews here:
- not really clean
- unprofessional staff
- old rooms
- expensive accomodation (for what you get)
and expensive dives
- small pool
- bad food
- bad beach (ok, you won't find anything amazing in Dgte)

...and unfriendly and arrogant Swiss german owners

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank Jojotravelling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Went for a 5 days 4 nights dive trip and stayed over at this hotel. 30 mins away from airport, pretty good to be out of town from busy traffic.

Service: Friendly staff, prompt but forgets to clean your room daily unless you remind them.

Value: Afford-ably reasonable price. Room is pretty plain and raw, bed is hard and flat, blanket was ridiculous as its as thin as paper. Floors are pretty slippery when we first checked in. No free water from the room, mineral waters in the fridge is chargeable. Wifi is chargeable for rooms, weak most of the time.

The food is pretty good from the steaks to pizza. We sticked to western food as we're not so favorable to the local food especially when they have fruits and raisins in their fried rice. They need to add more fan in the restaurant as they cover the beach sight most of the time because of rough waves, hence no wind/breeze.

We had our checkout dive just right at the shore of the resort which was excellent! The nearby dive sites were good too with alot of surprises.

Overall an average resort for the price you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very relaxing for business traveler. The staff are in the best attitude, and very helpful, the owner is 100% involve in the daily routine which tells me that they care about their business.
My first yoga/meditation/karate/mind fixing or I just don't have any clue what kind energy forming the resort owner help me experience. The diveshop Diving Society has the best guide and divemaster you could ask for. Great location and price for short staty. Grounds are immaculate, very relaxing, great drinks, good food. See jenny on the bar for good prices on tours! Went during off-peak season so very quiet and low key. Not so great weather, great beaches, must stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Stay in the Beach Front Room # 25 for a very low price. Ask Jenny!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank crisdigamo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The Eldorado is the worst place we have stayed in the Philippines. The management is indescribably bad; I have never experienced such bad service in all my years of travelling. I would not recommend anyone to stay at the El Dorado under any circumstances. I have written a detailed description below but in short this place is totally over priced, rooms are dated & dirty, with thin foam mattress, the aircon is a relic from the 70s and does not work, the food was terrible and the whole place was a construction zone when we were there. All this for 3,300 pesos?? totally overpriced and over rated. To top it off the management and staff were extremely threatening towards us when we complained about the state of the resort.
Full Review here-
As soon as we arrived the place felt wrong, the hotel was incredibly dated and unkept. It was like stepping back to a cheesy resort from the 1980s. The rooms resembled that of a Mexican prison cell, it was dirty, with ants everywhere, the bed was solid concrete with a thin foam mattress and pillows; the airconditioner was so old and loud it was unusable. The most insulting part was that this room cost 3,300 pesos! Totally unacceptable for this price.

It just got worse- as we were led to the restaurant, we were informed that the pool was closed and under construction. This was hugely disappointing as we had arrived late in the evening on the ferry and were really looking forward to having a swim. Not only was the pool under construction but the entire resort resembled a building site. The paths down to the beach and restaurant were ripped up and riddled with dangerous fishing wires acting like trip wires in the night. As we were eating our horrid dinner big chunks of concrete were being chipped off from somewhere on the roof and falling down around us outside the restaurant- not such a nice dining experience. By this stage we knew the place was a dump but it was so late that we decided to try get some sleep and work things out in the morning.

The next day the paths were now full of wet concrete, so you had to walk through the bushes to get to the restaurant or waterside- there should have been at least one path left clear to walk through. Thankfully the breakfast was better than the previous dinner but all you could hear was construction and in the daylight the unusable pool area looked even worse. Due to all the construction and furniture piled up there were none of the "cozy spaces" available and we decided to get out of there as soon as possible.

When checking out we explained our situation to Raquel at front desk who could not have been more rude and disinterested. When we complained about the dirty room, no aircon, no pool, construction site, etc etc she just called someone, then with out even talking to us, giving any kind of apology or explanation just printed out a bill and said we could get 10% discount.

I refused to accept this 10% as the resort should really have been closed for such extreme construction during this period and we were not informed of anything going on. She replied saying that there was a disclaimer informing us of the construction on the email confirmation she sent us. We had not seen this in the mail at all- this was not clear and not defined in the body of the email at all. After a long time looking we finally her "notification"- in tiny print at the end of a very long email and email signatures that the pool was going to be under construction,

However anyone knows who is travelling is that all you want to know if the room is available; so her claims that we were informed was completely unfair. As the whole place was under such extreme construction it should have been clearly stated in the main body of the email and here's and idea- perhaps a discount could have been offered during this period?!
As there were so many things wrong a 10% discount was insulting, especially as we had just found a beautiful resort just down the beach that morning that was offering standard 20% discounts during the low season.
Raquel refused to budge on the 10% discount, she could not care less about our problems. Her attitude was appalling. When I spoke to the owner on the phone he actually hung up on me as I was complaining about the situation!!! We were hoping to get at least 20% discount as that was what everywhere else was offering as a low season rate, so we thought that was at least fair.
He refused to agree or comply at all, after many years in hospitality i have never seen a situation managed so badly.
I had organised money in cash to equal our total food bill and the amount for the room, less 20% for the room charge. This was more than fair in my opinion and when I told Raquel that was all I was going to pay she threatened to call the police and got the security guard with a gun to stand behind us in an attempt to hold us there!! At this point the owner came back on the phone and must have realised that Raquel was slightly over reacting with the whole police/gun threat and finally agreed to giving us a 20% discount for all the problems.
It was a really extreme experience and not what you want to deal with on your holiday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank TinaSparkles_12
Texas
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Drove from Cebu to Dumaguete (6 hour drive) yesterday to meet friends in Dumaguete and expressly for the purpose of teaching my GF to swim (yeah, caucasian guy teaching an island girl to swim). Dumaguete friends recommended El Dorado resort... nice swimming pool (true) and P150 "Entrance Fee" (says so, stamped right on the receipt).

Issue #1: Absolutely no external consumables allowed on the premises. STRICTLY ENFORCED. We had just finished lunch in Dumaguete. GF still had part of a 500ml bottle of water, I still had ice from a soda I had with lunch... Nothing else, no edibles, no other drinks... just water and ice. We were REQUIRED to dispose of these (throw them in trash) by security guard at the entrance before we were allowed to proceed to the check-in counter.

Issue #2: At check-in counter, were informed the "Entrance Fee" was P150, consumable. Paid P300 for the two of us, proceeded to pool area where security told us we are NOT allowed to use pool, pool is for room guests of the resort only.

I protested that I paid an "Entrance Fee" and intended to use the pool. Was told "For a while, SIr, for a while... Supervisor is coming". So I waited... "for a while".

When the "Supervisor"/(owner?) arrived, a 50'ish caucasian with a heavy Swiss accent, I repeated my protest and was told the "Entrance fee" only allowed me into the bar/restaurant area where it was "fully consumable" for food and drink (after they took away my only drink (ice and water) at the main entrance), now I'm expected to pay a MINIMUM or P150 (each) for the Resort's overpriced "consumables"?... and I'm not even allowed to use the pool... which was my only reason for being there in the first place!

Not in this (or any other) lifetime.... I demanded my money back. The owner complied, meantime explaining the reason for the resort's policy...

Listen up! This is good...(as one caucasian to another...)

As an American in the Philippines, I should "Understand how Filipinos are"... If resort did not have this policy in place, the freeloading Filipinos would come and pay the "Entrance Fee" only, then lounge around the pool all day and not buy anything.

I've been to Switzerland. The Swiss that I met in Zurich were IMHO intelligent, astute business people, although expert at extracting as much cash for as little value in return as possible. (closet-sized hotel room cost equal to or greater than full-size comfortable room in US business hotel).

I was astounded at this man's offering up such an insulting (to the people who own the country in which he is attempting to do business) explanation, to a COMPLETE STRANGER. In a single sentence, he has classed ALL Filipinos as "freeloaders", who are not welcome to use the facilities at his "resort".

I told my Filipino friends (from Dumaguete) of the conversation and they were (very rightly) insulted.

My recommendation: Avoid this "resort" like the plague.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank LuvsComfort
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 2, 2012

One, we needed to get away from Manila around New Year's to escape the smog and noise; two, we wanted a hotel by the sea so we could visit friends in Dumaguete. I picked the best El Dorado could offer, a 'Private Garden' room. On one side an enclosed pocket garden with a thatched lanai where we could lie on hammocks or lounging chairs. Our own little oasis within the resort. On the other side of our spacious room we had an outdoor shower within lush tropical foliage--but without the uninvited guests one can have in the tropics like frogs, lizards, or spiders. Our huge room was made in such a way we could create a cross-draft and not have to turn on the air-conditioning, which my husband can't stand. This is a resort that caters to divers, especially German-speakers (we're French/English-speaking). Lito, a local dive master, kindly drew a map on the sand to show me how to get to the reef at Dauin north,10 min. walk on the beach from the hotel--the reef fish were colorful and varied, but the corals had been damaged by a recent typhoon. Despite that, the reef enchanted me every time I snorkelled. The beach is great for walking, your daily run.
Our room was very clean. The Swiss owner is 'hands-on' and makes sure the restaurant works smoothly. Jenny, a young Swiss woman from Basel, is his girl Friday and although not an official PR person, does this task quite naturally. For us Jenny was a source of information and made our stay more pleasant.
We could choose between excellent tomato soup, or a baguette ham sandwich with lettuce (the hotel owner's deli in downtown Dumaguete makes fantastic bread, no mean feat in this part of the world), or pad Thai, or Filipino dishes like kinilaw or pancit. The roesti was great!
When we travel we look for space, tranquillity, privacy, and good food. El Dorado had all these, plus friendly staff. The laundry line above the lanai so I could hang up my wet swimsuit and towel was a thoughtful touch.
It's a shame they allow the various dogs (clients? owner's?) to nap on the cushions by the pool, I didn't feel like lying down on them myself.

Room Tip: Go for the Private Garden Room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mfwrites_11
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My friend and I was really looking forward to our stay at the Resort. The grounds were nice, and the room were accetable. But our first night our room was entered and we rob of our money. This was done while we was a sleep. They stole all the cash, a camera, suitcase and a cell phone. A safe box is provided in the room, if that is what u want to call a safe box. The thin plate box that a screw driver could open. We was on a top floor with balconey. They entered thought a window that we find out later was not locked. It wouldnt be locked. Then left thought the balconey sliding door. At least they left the Credit Cards and Passport.
They say they have security that walk the grounds, but we never saw that.
The Room we had was #28. A jacuzzi room.
We checked out because we didnt feel safe.
Later on we find out that another room was broken into and they stole two laptop.
Both of us were Americans and I would advice not to stay at this beach resort. Stay somewhere else that has and shows security.
The resort was very applogenic about it. But one time is enough
The resort it self was nice. Its too bad we didnt get to spend more time there to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ball4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#14 of 35 in Dumaguete City
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#6 of 16 in Dauin

Been to El Dorado Beach Resort? Share your experiences!