“Not for Filipinos”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Texas
“Not for Filipinos”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Drove from Cebu to Dumaguete (6 hour drive) yesterday to meet friends in Dumaguete and expressly for the purpose of teaching my GF to swim (yeah, caucasian guy teaching an island girl to swim). Dumaguete friends recommended El Dorado resort... nice swimming pool (true) and P150 "Entrance Fee" (says so, stamped right on the receipt).

Issue #1: Absolutely no external consumables allowed on the premises. STRICTLY ENFORCED. We had just finished lunch in Dumaguete. GF still had part of a 500ml bottle of water, I still had ice from a soda I had with lunch... Nothing else, no edibles, no other drinks... just water and ice. We were REQUIRED to dispose of these (throw them in trash) by security guard at the entrance before we were allowed to proceed to the check-in counter.

Issue #2: At check-in counter, were informed the "Entrance Fee" was P150, consumable. Paid P300 for the two of us, proceeded to pool area where security told us we are NOT allowed to use pool, pool is for room guests of the resort only.

I protested that I paid an "Entrance Fee" and intended to use the pool. Was told "For a while, SIr, for a while... Supervisor is coming". So I waited... "for a while".

When the "Supervisor"/(owner?) arrived, a 50'ish caucasian with a heavy Swiss accent, I repeated my protest and was told the "Entrance fee" only allowed me into the bar/restaurant area where it was "fully consumable" for food and drink (after they took away my only drink (ice and water) at the main entrance), now I'm expected to pay a MINIMUM or P150 (each) for the Resort's overpriced "consumables"?... and I'm not even allowed to use the pool... which was my only reason for being there in the first place!

Not in this (or any other) lifetime.... I demanded my money back. The owner complied, meantime explaining the reason for the resort's policy...

Listen up! This is good...(as one caucasian to another...)

As an American in the Philippines, I should "Understand how Filipinos are"... If resort did not have this policy in place, the freeloading Filipinos would come and pay the "Entrance Fee" only, then lounge around the pool all day and not buy anything.

I've been to Switzerland. The Swiss that I met in Zurich were IMHO intelligent, astute business people, although expert at extracting as much cash for as little value in return as possible. (closet-sized hotel room cost equal to or greater than full-size comfortable room in US business hotel).

I was astounded at this man's offering up such an insulting (to the people who own the country in which he is attempting to do business) explanation, to a COMPLETE STRANGER. In a single sentence, he has classed ALL Filipinos as "freeloaders", who are not welcome to use the facilities at his "resort".

I told my Filipino friends (from Dumaguete) of the conversation and they were (very rightly) insulted.

My recommendation: Avoid this "resort" like the plague.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
25 Thank LuvsComfort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 2, 2012

One, we needed to get away from Manila around New Year's to escape the smog and noise; two, we wanted a hotel by the sea so we could visit friends in Dumaguete. I picked the best El Dorado could offer, a 'Private Garden' room. On one side an enclosed pocket garden with a thatched lanai where we could lie on hammocks or lounging chairs. Our own little oasis within the resort. On the other side of our spacious room we had an outdoor shower within lush tropical foliage--but without the uninvited guests one can have in the tropics like frogs, lizards, or spiders. Our huge room was made in such a way we could create a cross-draft and not have to turn on the air-conditioning, which my husband can't stand. This is a resort that caters to divers, especially German-speakers (we're French/English-speaking). Lito, a local dive master, kindly drew a map on the sand to show me how to get to the reef at Dauin north,10 min. walk on the beach from the hotel--the reef fish were colorful and varied, but the corals had been damaged by a recent typhoon. Despite that, the reef enchanted me every time I snorkelled. The beach is great for walking, your daily run.
Our room was very clean. The Swiss owner is 'hands-on' and makes sure the restaurant works smoothly. Jenny, a young Swiss woman from Basel, is his girl Friday and although not an official PR person, does this task quite naturally. For us Jenny was a source of information and made our stay more pleasant.
We could choose between excellent tomato soup, or a baguette ham sandwich with lettuce (the hotel owner's deli in downtown Dumaguete makes fantastic bread, no mean feat in this part of the world), or pad Thai, or Filipino dishes like kinilaw or pancit. The roesti was great!
When we travel we look for space, tranquillity, privacy, and good food. El Dorado had all these, plus friendly staff. The laundry line above the lanai so I could hang up my wet swimsuit and towel was a thoughtful touch.
It's a shame they allow the various dogs (clients? owner's?) to nap on the cushions by the pool, I didn't feel like lying down on them myself.

Room Tip: Go for the Private Garden Room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mfwrites_11
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My friend and I was really looking forward to our stay at the Resort. The grounds were nice, and the room were accetable. But our first night our room was entered and we rob of our money. This was done while we was a sleep. They stole all the cash, a camera, suitcase and a cell phone. A safe box is provided in the room, if that is what u want to call a safe box. The thin plate box that a screw driver could open. We was on a top floor with balconey. They entered thought a window that we find out later was not locked. It wouldnt be locked. Then left thought the balconey sliding door. At least they left the Credit Cards and Passport.
They say they have security that walk the grounds, but we never saw that.
The Room we had was #28. A jacuzzi room.
We checked out because we didnt feel safe.
Later on we find out that another room was broken into and they stole two laptop.
Both of us were Americans and I would advice not to stay at this beach resort. Stay somewhere else that has and shows security.
The resort was very applogenic about it. But one time is enough
The resort it self was nice. Its too bad we didnt get to spend more time there to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank ball4
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We never dive, lol. In fact, I liked the rooms we accommodate near the beach with jacuzzi. We enjoy relaxing at jacuzzi. I liked the rooms.
We have spent more time in rooms than atmosphere, joke..

But i was disappointed how they clean our room. huh! not totally perfect.

Nice food, but They must do something with so many flies while we are eating.

Room Tip: Near at the beach
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dreal1
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Stayed at El Dorado Beach Resort for 4 nights at the start of our Philippines trip and absolutely loved the resort. The standard room was small but clean and comfortable. The space was well designed with ample shelving and a hanging rail for clothes. The en suite was also very clean with hot water and there was a fridge in the room.

Outside was a line for drying clothes and a table and chairs over looking the pathway which runs down through the resort from the reception area to the beach.

The pool area was nice with a bar and undercover "lounging area with the comfiest cushions known to man" - I saw several people napping on them during our stay - me included!

The restuarant at the beach served a wide range of food with the Thai menu being our favourite. We opted for bed and breakfast and were happy with this as it gave us the choice of when and what to eat at other times. The resort also offers half and full board.

There was a sign up for tepenaki meals although we didn't see anybody having one.

The Swiss run dive outfit was pricier than other places we dived on our trip but was well run and had gear in good condition. Dive masters were all excellent - particular praise for Ray and Lito who seemed to find every critter we wanted!! Local dive sites were amazing and trips to Apo Island are also available (weather permitting).

The resort offers a free airport pick up which was very handy after a long flights!

Note - Not much to do here if you don't dive though!! Although there was a gym and archery (random!) and a pool table.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank holidayjems
Butte
Reviewed February 9, 2011

El Dorado, is in a great quiet location, with reasonably priced rooms, attached dive shop, and great beachside restaurant all on a nice landscaped lot .. Not much else to do unless you are a diver, however lots of things to see in the area, if you are prepared to travel a little

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PHnewbie
Albuquerque
Reviewed January 22, 2011

El Dorado is a nice resort, although a little overpriced. The room was clean, plenty of space and nice shower. The restaurant was good and offered a variety of dishes. We paid for only half-board, which means you get breakfast and either lunch or dinner. That sounds good except that you have to decide when you check in, whether you want to have lunch or dinner. They don’t let you decide on the daily basis according to your plans. Staff were pretty friendly, although their English skills were not so good. The best part was the scuba diving. The diving masters were great, very friendly, funny and good at finding creatures to show us. Great muck diving, reef and drift diving. The corals at the Apo Island are spectacular! Siquijor Island was good too.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SanAndresDiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#7 of 16 in Dauin
Pura Vida Beach & Dive Resort

Been to El Dorado Beach Resort? Share your experiences!