“Very good experience”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Dauin
Utrecht, Netherlands
“Very good experience”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

As I stayed with a diving friend, but do not scuba dive myself, my perspective on Liquid does not include the diving experience, which is obviously important for most visitors here.

Located near Dauin, Liquid is located in a secluded spot along the beach, but within walking distance of the national highway where plenty of busses headed to Dumaguete pass by if you feel like taking public transport on Negros.

The accommodation consists of separate little houses, each with a private bathroom, balcony and a view of the garden, ocean or both. The attention to detail in their construction is simply excellent. Aircon is, however, not available, and the showers operate on warm water from a natural spring that can vary in temperature between cool, lukewarm and hot. There is also a semi-salt-water swimming pool of decent size and nice temperature if you prefer that over swimming in the ocean.

Breakfast and lunch are served with a number of options to choose from, and the food is of very good quality. Dinner is a fixed menu, but you are always free to eat somewhere else, or requested something to be prepared for you if you do not fancy the meal of the day.

The general atmosphere of the place is very relaxed, and the owners and staff are very friendly and always helpful. They will surely make you feel welcome upon arrival, and be friends by the time you leave.

Room Tip: There are all the same i suppose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
hk
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I spend 4 days on this resort. They arrange dives per my request every day even just one diver. The food is excellent. Their staff are friendly and helpful. The DM Eric is professional on muck diving. It is worth for stay here. It is the best Philippine resort I stay before.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank steven a
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 27, 2012

i found out first-hand why everyone has only good, make that great, things to say about Liquid Dumaguete.

we travelled in late june, 3 of us, to philippines for a safari of sorts. Liquid was our first stop. what a wonderful introduction to our trip it became.

Zoe and Tim run a family. there's no corporate feeling or business feel to their place. you simply dive, eat, rest, relax or as they put it 'eat, sleep, dive...live'! no mention of money, no fuss, no rush. i won't spoil your holiday by saying too much, but what Liquid stands for is truly remarkable in a very competitive industry.

the food is excellent, with more than enough portion sizes. Zoe made us a traditional English Roast one night. i miss the food. LECHE FLAN!!!

Tim is an excellent host, with his laidback and well-mannered Canadian calm. Zoe is the consummate 'mother', very prone to spoiling us. And yes, she is an instant email responder. i believe she is addicted to the internet. or maybe it's to distract herself from her wonderful children. whatever it is, she provides instant response, sound advice and almost assures you a perfect holiday without having even turned up!

they have free Wi-fi across the compound and a very relaxing chill-out corner in the main area.

the rooms are clean and well done-up with their own pop-art. there is hot (spring) water from the taps and water pressure is good. beds are made every day and fresh sheets and linen provided. towels go free flow.

the compound is wonderfully manicured every day. ground staff and chambermaids are ever smiling. the dive team of Jim, Alfred and Yannick run a solid ship and are always enquiring on your welfare.

diving is muck paradise. Alfred and the 3 of us, all photographers, spent 11 wonderful dives searching for the macro wonders. our highlight was the mimic octopus we chanced upon one night. we are still looking for our blue ring though, and we will be back to locate it!

the value for money is a stand-out as well. accommodation is very cheap compared to the other resorts along the dauin coast, the food and drinks are sold probably at cost and diving prices are discounted. while people usually associate cheap with lesser quality, that is NOT the case for Liquid. they just serve top quality at bottom prices.

Liquid Dumaguete is that home you go to, where you don't do anything or do anything you want. we've been around the philippines a fair bit, been to nearly all the top dive spots and stayed at quite a few top name establishments. but none of them come close to Liquid in terms of feeling at home.

well done Tim and Zoe! we will be back! (stop telling people about the wonderful beachview rooms!) (and send us some LECHE FLAN!)

Room Tip: all the rooms have a beach view, though some more than others.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My partner and i absolutely loved Liquid so much that we had plans to head up north of Negros Oriental originally but as soon as we arrived that was no longer the plan. We ended up staying at Liquid for 3 weeks and we would have stayed even longer if we didn't have a flight back home it was really hard for us to leave because it is such a perfect environment feels like a big family.

The diving is also excellent, the team is highly professional and organized and all the equipment is top knotch. And to have countless dive sites just outside the resort is a massive bonus as very little travel time is needed.

After a full day of diving u will be treated with the nicest food at dinner time, every night there is something different on the menu and its AMAZING!! And be care full of the Mango-float for desert as it is seriously addictive.

The rooms are very nice and cosy and are close enough to the beach that you can hear the waves crashing at night and to top it off the shower has a HUGE shower-head that is connected to a hot-spring source. All i have left to say is that we can not wait to return to Liquid and we appreciate everything that Tim, Zoe, Jim, Adam & the rest of the Liquid team have done for us to make us feel right at home.

Anthony & Sam.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed at Liquid in early May 2012 and had the most fantastic week. Zoe and Tim have created a wonderful dive resort in a beautiful location. The atmosphere is totally chilled out, everyone is super friendly and the diving was amazing and so accessible. The cottages have everything you need - no air con and be ready for hot spring showers (very sustainable and cool or actually quite hot!) - but really nicely done. Ask for cottage number one, the best view ever straight onto the sea. And the sound of the waves on the shore as you drop off to sleep and wake up was heaven.

The central bar/restaurant/chill out area became my home from home. Food is home cooked, tasty and amazing value. It was great to be able to meet fellow guests over meals, especially as I was travelling alone.

And the reason for the trip - the diving. It was the best diving I have done in years, having been recently in Thailand, Key West Florida and Egypt. I was amazed by the coral and the sheer variety of fish. The instructors I dived with (Jim, Alfred, Gui thank you all!) were great at spotting and pointing out the tiny but amazing creatures Iwould have missed otherwise. And I have not seen so many turtles in a week ever. Just lovely. As I only dive usually only once a year the key thing for me is to feel really comfortable and secure with my equipment and dive masters and instructors and I definitely did here. Everyone was so helpful on and off the boat and everything was really well organised.

If you want a break with amazing diving, a relaxed and very friendly atmosphere (no crazy parties though quite a few nightly cocktails were consumed) and clean, simple accommodation then this is the place for you. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dublin
Reviewed June 20, 2012

A beautiful resort with extremely friendly and helpful staff. We loved the sit-down dinners with everyone every evening. A great find.

• Stayed June 2012
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Liquid has definitely brought us a holiday that I have never experienced before. Totally exceeding expectation.

The friendly owners, Zoe and Tim were very helpful in helping us to arrange everything before our arrival. Since it was a very spontaneous trip for us and we did not have the time to draft out a detailed plan before we set off. The prompt advice and the arrangement from them helped a great lot. They reply our inquiries promptly and I remembered receiving Zoe's email at six in the morning. I am very impressed by how serious they take their guests.

I was a bit unsure of their non air-conditioned rooms at the beginning, since i have expected the local weather to be quite hot. But it turned out absolutely wonderful. Zoe arranged us a cottage by the beach and without the noise of the air-conditioner, we woke up and went to bed to the sound of the sea waves and the cool sea breeze. There was one night, we got a clear starry sky. It was amazing.

Their accommodation is very basic, their tap water in the bathroom is from their hot spring. It's a bit weird at first but we get used to it. But I can foresee some people might find it problematic. So if you are picky about bathroom. You might want to check with them beforehand.

The area around Liquid if very nice. They don't have a white sand beach, but their sunset is still serene and romantic. That has become one of my mental captures of a lifetime.

I did my open water qualification with them too. My instructor Jim is friendly and helpful. And he definitely took his teaching seriously. The diving experience was superb, though i guess i am not the best person to judge since i am still new to diving, but i definitely enjoyed it and determined to dive more.

I have to say I really LOVE and enjoyed the whole "family" atmosphere that Liquid gave me.
Their family styled dinners, the after-dinner Wii game of the dancing queen, the "lazy' area, the walking-around-in-barefoot, and the SMILES of many from the staff and guests.

During my stay with Liquid, I have

- met many interesting people
- been known as the best drinking tower player in Liquid's history
- danced with the master of dance (Yannick!)
- drank too much ( i assume this can be very important information for some that they do offer beer and liquor at very good price)
- laughed so hard
- smiled too much

I had a very happy and enjoyable holiday =)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
#3 of 3 in Zamboanguita
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 15 in Dauin

Been to Liquid Dumaguete? Share your experiences!