All reviews mexican food boat crew thanks mike whale sharks burrito great diving dive sites padi open water course dive trip cable tv nice pool days diving sea horses fish dive shop muck diving top notch
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flew in from Manila to the Dumaguete airport. The resort arranged for a transfer from the airport to the resort and it was easy to find the driver at the airport. He took care of all my luggage and it was a nice, smooth drive to the resort.

Arrived at the resort on Christmas day. Before I arrived, Nic let me know that they were having Lechon (roasted, whole pig) for the special occasion. He asked if I wanted them to put some aside for me as I was arriving late in the evening. The portion they put aside was huge and really tasty.

Nic knew I was there to dive, dive, dive. So he had already signed me up for diving the next day. Since I was going out to Apo Island for a full day of diving, the kitchen took my breakfast order the night before to ensure breakfast was ready for me before I had to get ready for a day of diving.

The menu at Mike's had a good selection of Filipino and American food. I tend to like American food more and found it to be excellent.

Since many of the dive trips are an all day affair, there was a small kitchen on the boat and a good selection of food was available between dive 2 and 3. There was always plenty of good food for everyone. Additionally, they provided towels, coffee, tea and water all day on the boat.

My dive guides (Romel and Marlon) were very experienced and great to dive with. They were good to make sure I was paired with a comparable diver and everyone in my group was good on air.

All my gear was left at the locker in the resort. Pedro, security, made sure my gear was safe. In the morning the boat crew brought all my gear to the boat. Once they knew how I liked my gear set up, they set it up for me for every dive. Once or twice they were able to supply me with valves that had DIN connection but most the time I had to use a DIN to Yoke converter. They had one I could use but I always bring my own.

I used all my own gear except for tanks and weights. My dive buddy and others on the boat used rental gear. I heard no complaints from anyone about problems with the gear.

All in all it was a great dive vacation. I was traveling by myself but there was never any worries about finding me a dive buddy. On one occasion there were a LOT of people going out to Apo Island. So they needed both boats for Apo Island trips. Not really a problem as there was plenty of shore diving as well. However, I had injured my knee just prior to going to the resort. One shore dive had a lot to look at but the entry was very rocky and difficult with my knee injuried. I let Nic know about my difficulty and he insured I didn't have to do a similar dive again.

Everyone (Nic, the guides, instructors, boat crew, kitchen staff, bar staff, cleaning staff, guy who filled our tanks, Pedro, etc.) were fabulous.

Some people who have been diving South East Asia (SEA) for a while said there were better places for marine life and muck diving but since this was my second trip to SEA, it was amazing. Way better than the best sites in the Caribbean. The number of different marine species was truly amazing. From sharks, turtles and barracuda to nudibranch, pygmy sea horse and electric clams there was just so much too see.

The best were when Nic would sit with us in the evening and just tell us stories about diving around SEA.

The only thing I would say is if you are new to diving in Asia or Philippines in general, things like how to work the shower and other things that are common knowledge might not be common to you. Talk to the staff and let them know you are new to the area and they'll be happy to teach you about everything local.

Room tip: Rooms close to the beach are nice and close to the office, kitchen, bar, dive locker, etc..
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We had a great stay here! We specifically went to scuba dive and we were not disappointed! Very friendly staff and helpful. Diving was great...lots to see and food was awesome. You have to try the Kinilaw! Beds we’re very comfortable and good pillows.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

I’ve did my PADI open water at Mike‘s beach resort and can just recommend them to anyone planning to do or learn diving in or around Dauin. Very professional teaching from experienced and friendly Masterdivers.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2020

We had a great dive experience with Mike's, the dive service is better than other more expensive dive resorts we've stayed in Dauin. The dive guides are very accommodating to our requests to the creatures that we would like to encounter and they deliver beyond expectations. The Boat crews are the best in the business, they are kind, accommodating and have the initiative to make sure you're ok, their overall service is beyond our expectations.

The rooms are above average, spacious than most dive resorts in Dauin. you get the value for what you have paid for, they are well house kept and cleaned everyday.

The food are ok but with limited choices; but the chef was very kind enough to prepare our request that is not in the menu. However, Breakfast serving needs to be quicker due to the tight schedule between breakfast time and dive boat departure in the morning.

Overall, most of the hotel staff are very kind and accommodating; Mike's Dauin Beach resort made all the effort to have our overall experience pleasant and enjoyable.

Dauin is a world class mac dive destination, underwater photographers will not be disappointed with the wonderful critters that Dauin has to offer. A camera room facility at Mike's would have been great for avid underwater photographers.

Room tip: The newer deluxe rooms have better TV and aircon (more quiet aircon)
Reviewed January 6, 2020 via mobile

My son and I recently stayed at Mike’s .The rooms were basic but in full working order and most importantly very clean , quality of food and beverages were good and priced sensibly , Staff are the highlight of this Hotel as they are all very good hosts , The diving operation was also on top form , they listened to my requests as a photographer and separated divers carefully based on their proficiency , Our guide Romel had an eagle eye spotting all the little critters and conducted dives with professionalism, he listened well to what I was looking to photograph and planned our dive sites accordingly , the boatmen were also very good on all days diving fully supporting us and keeping us safe , the resort manger Nick obviously has been working very hard to make this all come together ! If in Dauin again I will definitely be staying here !

Date of stay: January 2020