“Great Place”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Reno, Nevada
“Great Place”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great Place to stay & dive. Small & secluded, gives it private feeling. Everything is nice, cleaned and well maintained. All Mike's Dive Gear is top quality and he has excellent Dive Masters. Mike is always there making sure all details are taken care of. Mike is a great host, he will take care of you.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Breckenridge, Colorado
Reviewed March 14, 2014

As with most businesses in the world and especially in the Philippines, if the owner is managing the place its good, if not, its terrible. Mike is very hands on making sure that you receive the quality service and attention you expect when on vacation. We really enjoyed the moderately priced, quality food. (especially the Mexican food). This place is a good blend of simple, but upscale. It's nice and small so it is fun to mingle with other guests.

Room Tip: Its a small place so all the rooms are the same good location.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank rodneyemr
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Great spot. Mike is awesome, runs the place well and has a great staff. We spent two nights there at the tail end of our Philippines trip and it was a great way to close the trip. Mike's dive crew on the boat was awesome, super friendly and helpful. I'm newly certified and we were going out with some others with much more experience and Mike made sure we had enough guides such that we got personal attention and all had great dives. The resort is great - very comfortable, great food and drinks and because it's only eight rooms and Mike is always around it's got a great family vibe.

Room Tip: It's only eight rooms so book ahead.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
St. Johns, Florida
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was our first visit to Negros so we really relied on Trip Advisor to help us find a dive resort that offered better accommodations then the standard Dive hostels that are common in the Philippines.
Pros: We were picked up on time at the airport in Dumaguete, our driver had our name on a board so we knew exactly which van was for us. The resort is about 30 minutes away and we were greeted by Mike right when we arrived. He went over the different dive options with us and wanted to get a feel with the type of critters we were hoping to see on our visit. I had Ace as our dive guide and he went out of his way to find the quirky little critters that are usually overlooked during most dives. I saw my first Orange Sea Moth... Looks like an almost wingless baby bird crawling on the ocean floor. I really had hoped to see a sea horse but no luck. Our room was nice although the bathrooms are a bit dated but very clean. They have a lovely pool which overlooks the beach and has a stone cascading water feature as well as lounge chairs along the beach front. Perfect place for relaxing with a book and a glass of wine.
Cons: The chickens at the neighbors house started crowing around 6 am every morning but that really isn't something Mike can fix. The property is a bit isolated, which is a pro and a con. It forces you to really sit back at relax but sometimes even I get bored with my own company :) The other issue was on my first dive I was using more air then the other couple and Ace wanted me to go to the surface on my own. I have around 25 dives, the other divers had much more experience with about 700 dives , so leaving the group and heading to the boat on my own really wasn't something I was at all comfortable with. He did end up accompanying me to the surface and he then headed back down to the other group. Once I had my bearings I realized the boat was incredibly close by so it really wouldn't of been an issue if I would have been more familiar with my surroundings.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoastalCple
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We were only able to spend 3 nights at Mikes on the end of a trip to the Philippines. We were treated with the same quality service as the quests staying a week.
Our goal was to get in at least one days diving the Philippines before returning to the U.S. We were not able to take our own gear on this trip. The rental equipment was in good shape. The dive team provided high quality service...went out of their way to find the small unique marine life.
They did not rush us out of the water....the shortest of our 3 dives was 57 minutes. They allowed us some independence on the dive but I could see they were keeping track of us as well.
The food was good. The banana pancakes were the best I have ever had......actually mix bananas into the pancake. The fresh fruit drinks were the real deal.....not fake juice concentrate. My husband and traveling friends had 2-3 a day .....each .
Soooo Goood!!!!! Of course the mangos and bananas on Negros are fantastic.
The rooms and facility are clean , comfortable and well kept.
Mike and his wife are actually there working..that shows me they care about the business and guests

Room Tip: I would have preferred top floor if we were there more than 3 nights
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

well wow I been to many places in my time but this place stood out from a lot of places I have stayed.mike and johanne the owners were great.i felt like I was at home and the welcome and friendliness I received was just fantastic.the place itsef was beautiful and full of character.the rooms were lovely,clean and comfortable.mikes children were well behaved and the dog was even so friendly and no problem.the trip to apo island and the coral reef was some of the best I have seen.they even invite me to there staff Christmas party and I had a great time and met some wonderful people who they had invited.just be careful if you dance on the bar be carful of the ceiling fan lol.its so relaxing and even before the party they say mention this to everyone who was staying there.all I can say is that in the 30 years I have travelled I have never gone out my may to write a review.this time because of there kindness I have and I would like to thank both of them for a wonderful and relaxing time.i will be back

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We loved this place so much last year that we decided to book for this year, 13 months in advance and were not disappointed. Mike continues to be very involved in the day-to-day operation of the resort and took the time to make sure that everyone was settled and doing well. I was happy too to see all the same faces from last year. They've happily been with Mike for many years! The diving was magnificent and we took day trips to Apo and Siquijor Islands, snorkeled with the whale sharks and dove the car wreck and pyramids nearby. Highlight was seeing three different types of octopus on one dive. Our room was amazing, spacious and clean, with A/C and ceiling fan or screens if you want to sleep with the windows open (which we did several times). Furniture outside on the veranda was very comfortable for reading, writing or enjoying our happy hour drinks. And the food was amazing as well - we never felt the need to leave Mike's to enjoy a meal. Our twelve year old daughter had a blast as well and Mike and his family went out of their way to make sure she did. We couldn't have asked for a better week.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but particularly enjoyed being in deluxe room #5. It's upstairs on the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Liquid Dumaguete
#3 of 3 in Zamboanguita
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Mike's Dauin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!