“Great place for a swim, food, and drink”

Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great place for a swim, food, and drink”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Been here four times for dinner and lunch. Love coming to the place and having a drink on the beach with a great view of Apo Island (their Trentadue Port is amazing) with a nice meal (the food is great and reasonably priced-try the chicken schnitzel and burgers). The place is the perfect size, small enough where you get to know the friendly staff and are treated like family, but big enough to still have some nice amenities, like a pool to cool off in. I will be visiting again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Moalboal, Philippines
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Since we start with the dive safaris end of october,we always have dinner at mike's place while we on the trip.the place are direct on the beach. we always very welcome there. the people very friendly.the service and food is great all the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ptervnce
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We are just now finishing up a full week of scuba diving and stay at Mike's Beach Resort. The previous reviews have it all right, this place is top notch. There are only 8 guest rooms, each immaculately clean, with ample furnishing and space to feel comfortable. Our family of three was able to unpack our bags and make ourselves at home. In the bathroom there were hooks for hanging up our towels and a 4-tiered shelf for all of our toiletries. Outside our room on the shared balcony are bamboo drying racks for our bathing suits, t-shirts and shorts and comfortable lounge chairs for relaxing in between and after dives. The swimming pool is kept clean and inviting at all times. Mike has really thought out all the little details. Our package included two or three dives a day and three meals - the food was very good, some of the best that I've experienced while traveling in the Philippines. The restaurant staff were very attentive to our needs and easily made accommodations for all of my dietary needs (gluten intolerant) both on and off the dive boat. The boat staff were amazing. They took care of our dive gear all week and were very attentive to our needs. Our 11-year old daughter had her own dive master so that my husband and I could dive deeper but still be together at the end of each dive. The dive masters were great, they didn't go too fast or too slow along the reef and were excellent at pointing out unique and varied sea life - nudibranches, frog fish, eels, leaf fish, turtles, cuttlefish and sea horses! We are already scheming when to come back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I read so much about this place having very good tex-mex food from a forum. Went there today with 7 friends. The waitresses didnt seem to care that we're there bcoz we are pinoys. Having driven all the way from dumaguete to eat lunch there we were all excited. We came for Mexican food, they ran out of tacos. Anyway, chili burger was yuck. I don't know where they got their meat. Seafood pasta was yuck, pancit bihon and canton didnt have any "sahog" but vegetables for P190 per order!
The fried chicken were burnt. The nachos, ugh!
I'm so embarrassed I convinced all my friends to go all the way there instead of just eating lunch in Duma.
The service was unacceptable.
I think the white guy owner was just there at the bar and never bothered to say anything!
It's not like we were rude and loud in fact we were too nice to the servers we say thank u and please.
I would never recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Rico T
sailingdauin, Owner at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Sorry to hear that your experience at Mike’s Resort left such a negative impact on you. As trip advisor’s currently number 1 rated hotel in all of the Visayas we try very hard to please our guests. This includes walk-ins and of course “pinoys”.
In light of the fact that just a few days prior to your visit here we experienced a direct hit by Super Typhoon Pablo, a category 3 storm, we feel it was amazing we were open and able to serve food to our guests and still accommodate walk-ins, having difficulty finding open restaurants in Dumaguete. With power outages everywhere and stores and markets closed it was a difficult time for everyone.
We were fortunate to have had minimal damage and it took only a couple of days to clean up and be operational again. So again we are sorry about your experience and I’m sure you can understand that things were not “normal” for a few days after the typhoon.
As I was diving with students that day I was not there to address your complaints. If you want to try again we would be happy to give you a complementary meal.
Honolulu
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at Mike's on Nov. 12-15, 2012. The resort is what I expected and more. The staff is very accomodating. I dove with guide- Ace on a total of 7 dives. Apo Island was memorable and filled with great subjects for my UW camera. The dive shop was well run and up to PADI standard. It is the little details about this resort that make it stand out. Alot of attention and care was taken to make Mike's a divers haven. I would definately stay and dive at Mike's on my future visits to Dauin. On the last night of our stay, the kitchen staff made a special trip to the market place to get some fresh fish. We were treated to a very well prepared jack- trevally. The menu is very good and reasonably priced. The rooms are well appointed and maintained. I did not want to leave at the end of my visit. Thanks so much to the staff for your hospitality and making me want to come back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mjmboogie
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Mike & Joanne have created a little paradise here. The location is ideal for easy access to a wide variety of dive sites or simply to a great stretch of beach for non-divers. They now have 2 large, well equipped dive boats. Although I did not dive on this trip, I have made many dives (as well as upgraded my certification) with Mike, Marlin and their excellent boat crew. Having dove many places in the Philippines, I found only 1 other that met Mike's standards for safety, equipment and training.

The small family run resort is warm and intimate. The Feeney's are hosting you in their home, their staff is extended family and you could not feel more welcome. The food is great, the pool is clean and inviting, the beach is a step away. The spacious and pristine clean rooms are lovely with classy finishes such as crown moldings, tray ceilings, beautiful tile baths & artistic use of natural materials on the patios, overheads & railings. The finer details are more characteristic of exclusive resorts I've visited. AC, fans,TV, hot water & WIFI all work perfectly. There is always comfortable shady seating on the veranda outside your room. Follow up a hard day of diving with a massage in your room (reserve about an hour in advance). Kayaks are available and sometimes sailing on days the Hobey-cat.

The friendly tone set by the Feeney's and staff seems to attract an affable clientele of interesting and diverse backgrounds, happy to share travel experiences and recommendations.
Mike & Joanne and their great staff are truely the keys to making this not a place to go but a lovely experience the entire time you are there. The ambience, good food and reasonable prices, attract additional dinners from the larger resorts nearby.

Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Titamargs
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was the second time we were in this area. The first time we stayed at another place that cost us $120 more than Mike's. There was no difference at all and we think that Mike's was even better than the more expensive place. The location was great. It directly at the beach, a great pool, wonderful sunrise for early birds, and many restaurant within walking distance along the beach. I had a really good sleep, but maybe it was because of all the diving and all the wine I drank. To be honest, the foam mattress was bugging me a bit. The rooms were however very spacious, good water pressure in the shower,and had cable TV. It's definitely better than average in the Philippines. Resort staff was outstanding. The food was a bit slow, but we ordered ahead of time the next time and it was good. The staff did everything to make it as pleasant for us as possible. The same can be said for the dive crew and the guides. They have eagle eyes and see the tiniest creatures we would never find by ourselves. The dive masters could have a bit more knowledge about the critters they show. However, they are still outstanding. Mike is full grown Beach Resort and by no means a bed and breakfast. Don't let the category here misguide you. The only difference is that you save a lot of money staying at Mike's beach resort instead of the higher priced neighbors.

Room Tip: Deluxe room upstairs has the best ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank looloomee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Liquid Dumaguete
#2 of 16 in Dauin
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#7 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Mike's Dauin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!