“Unforgetable diving with Mike”

Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Reviewed August 7, 2011

If you are looking for excellent diving spot, very professional diving services and comfortable and well managed place to stay while diving - this is it!.

On our trip through central Philippines we (using www) found Mike and his dive shop and decided to give it a try. Obviously it was very good decision.

Mike is American spending his "second life" on what he likes to do - which is diving. You can see it in extreme attention to all details and huge knowledge of diving spots there. In addition to that - this is one of very few true American standard (high one) small resort - they have only 8 double rooms, but they are spacious (I guess 200-300 sqf?) and well maintained.

Diving spots there are fabulous - with specialties like night diving in search for Mandarin Fish and many other - Mike knows them very well and will show you the best of it. You can't miss Apo island - paradise under water.

Mike himself is a very friendly and open person, he lives at the resort with his family, his staff gives you good services and kitchen - choice of true American style food (excellent burgers) - of course in addition to the local one.
Mike, the only thing to say, is I am sorry it took me so long to write review. If I have a chance I will visit you again.
Robert and Renata

Room Tip: All 8 are superb, we stayed in De Luxe and in Superior - De Luxe are Ocean View
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ranr68

Reviewed August 5, 2011

A tricycle driver took us to Mike's from Dumagete Port as we had not booked accommodation but were thinking of heading to Apo Island. His suggestion was perfect. We met Mike, a chatty American expat and were sold on the small resort.
Rooms are clean and comfortable and the resort is new and very well maintained.
Staff are super helpful with ideas for activities, transportation etc.
We completed 5 dives with them, including Apo Island.
The restaurant is awesome and we practically ate all our meals there. Very reasonably priced, fresh and delicious.
A great alternative to staying on pricey Apo Island.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed at Mike's over the weekend to enjoy diving around Dumaguete and Apo island and will definitely go back very soon.
Very clean room, very friendly staff and divemasters who know each square meter of the sea bottom. Don't miss the day trip to Apo island, amongst of the best dives we ever did.
Mike has been there long enough to ensure any need to be answered to.
Very special thanks to Hilary.
So if you are looking for a special place with special people for special diving, that's the one, do not hesitate!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This is my 5th trip to dive n the Philippines, always going to a different place. This is, by far, the best accomodation/food/diving I've experienced in this country. From the first email I felt welcomed and comfortable with what I was going to experience. Pulling into the resort from the small road was amazing. Right away, the place was classy. With 8 guest rooms in the main building, it was cozy. The outside looked top notch and the rooms were absolutely great. The bathroom was first class, wi-fi that always worked, great details in the room and the restaurant/bar area served great food, both American and Filipino with fair prices all around. The dive staff was great and they spotted all the critters for us. Big comfy boat and attentive staff. Mike and his family live on site, so there was definately a friendly atmosphere around the place the whole time, and he really looked after our needs and made our stay great. This is truly the best place I've stayed in the Philippines, and will be back next year for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Mike is running a great place here - I am definitely coming back and next time I will try to do more diving :)

The resort is very family friendly, Mike has his own kids running around there as well so if you have kids there are always other kids for them to play with.

If you get the second floor rooms you might have issues with the neighbors as they have a few cocks next door, so I recommend the first floor rooms closest to the ocean for the best sleep.

Mike's menu in the resort is a good snack menu, I would not recommend living off it exclusively for a longer period, but Mike is always good at putting something special up like a BBQ or a seafood dinner which is GREAT!

Room Tip: Lower floor closeest to the ocean are quiet
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Mike and Family are running a great "show" out there.
Warm atmosphere,professional people and a nice and friendly setting.
The Diving trips a great value for money.
I highly can recommend this place in Dauin.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed at Mike's resort for 6 nights so my wife could do her PADI Open Water Course. I spent weeks researching the various options around Dumaguete and Mike's came highly recommended. I was also really impressed with the quality of response I got from Hilary, the resort manager.

It turned out I'd made a good decision for both of us. We loved our stay here and it is one of the nicest places we've stayed in 8 months of travel. What made it for us was the incredibly friendly and helpful staff, from the owner & manager through to everyone else. As a non-diver myself I have always been cautious about staying at dive resorts but here you're made to feel welcome and part of the fun regardless.

It turned out that Hilary was my wife's dive instructor and we can highly recommend her. She is experienced, knowledgeable and an excellent teacher. And she's a lot of fun. Her patience and calm ensured my wife got over her initial concerns with diving and loved every minute of her PADI. When required she gave my wife 1-on-1 instruction. Hilary's teaching style meant that my wife had the support she needed and the right skills to dive safely and with confidence. The other students being taught by Hilary had the same experience. She's excellent and if you're thinking of learning to dive, you'll be hard pressed to find a better and more experienced instructor. There are cheaper places to do a PADI in the area (we paid Php17,500 and found a centre willing to discount to Php14,500) but we think the quality at Mike's is well worth the extra investment - when learning to dive, quality and safety are far more important than a cheap price. The equipment was good quality and well maintained.

A bit more about the resort and accommodation:

The pro's:
* Great location on the beach with nice views of Sequijor and Apo Island
* Close to the Sanctuary - a great spot for diving/snorkelling in Dauin (you can turn up and snorkel for only Php50 if you have your own gear)
* All rooms are finished to a really high standard and modern - tiled flooring, comfy beds, large wardrobes, tables & chairs, good quality A/C, fan, cable TV with 50 channels etc
* Spacious bathroom with good quality hot/cold water shower and new toilet roll daily!
* Rooms are cleaned every day if you require with fresh sheets and towels - the cleaning team (Rose & Madeleine if I remember correctly but I am rubbish with names) were lovely and kept our room spotless
* Nice balcony/verranda area for each room with your own chairs and foot stalls as well as wooden clothes rack
* Nice downstairs bar & restaurant area with plenty of seating - again all the staff are lovely and nice to talk to, speaking good English - try the poached eggs in the morning, spot on
* Food is very good - the mexican menu is wonderful and the nightly specials are very tasty
* Small but really well maintained swimming pool with nice water feature made from rocks - some of the diving skills are taught here
* Well kept garden and lawn area
* Definitely kid friendly - lots of families stay here, the staff are great with kids and always keep an eye out for their safety and Hilary and her husband have a young boy as well who is often at the resort

The con's:
I've been as picky as possible to try and give some balance and not sound like a free advert for Mike & Hilary!!
* There is no designated classroom for the PADI course which means finding a quiet place to do the tests/exams is difficult
* Bottled water is expensive at Php55 for 1ltr - however, refills are only Php20 and you can buy water in Dauin town if you want to save a little bit
* Some of the food menu is a touch expensive for what you get although it is beautifully cooked and service is great e.g. Chicken Adobo is Php215 and you have to buy rice as an extra
* If you have clothes to dry, the wooden racks outside the rooms never get any sun so it's a touch difficult and the washing line is often full

I could carry on singing the praises of the resort but you might fall asleep. It's a great place to stay whether you are a diver or not. I've been at other dive resorts and been made to feel a bit of a social leper because I don't dive. Here there are no cliques, just genuinely nice friendly people who want you to enjoy your stay. It's safe, comfortable, clean and fun. And best of all, it doesn't attract the noisy party crowd so you can also sleep well in peace and quiet after a few relaxing evening drinks.

Enjoy!

thanks
james & muneeza

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper level give you more privacy
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jamerguk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Liquid Dumaguete
El Dorado Beach Resort
Atmosphere Resort
Atmosphere Resort
#2 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Mike's Dauin Beach Resort? Share your experiences!