“Loved it”
Review of Atmosphere Resort

Atmosphere Resort
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Expensive. Really expensive, even the food and drinks. But sooooo worth your money. Truly luxury. Food is good.

My only prob was after 10pm the restaurant was closed. And when we arrived our room needed to be mopped as the floor as dusty. A Typical philippine problem- dust.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ChicoMallow
AtmosphereManager, Manager at Atmosphere Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you :-) We normally close the kitchen at 10, however guests still dining are of course welcome to order and stay as long as they wish - but when the resort is quiet and the restaurant doesn't expect new dining guests after 10, they close. Sorry for the inconvenience but we hope to see you again!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We really fell in love with Dumaguete! The place we went for our first out of town as bf/gf here and now going back.. spent our first wedding anniversary last Oct.2013!

This review may be a late but we are still into the best experience we had during our stay here at Atmosphere Resort & Spa. Everything's so perfect from the time they picked us at the airport until we checked out. The owner and staff are very accommodating with all smiles & greetings everytime you passed by each other. We love their food especially the lechon they served during the beach buffet dinner. The place to stay when you want to get rid of the city's hustle. What we really loved the most is their Infinity pool with nice view of the sea plus have refreshments at pool side bar.
Water sport activities and tours are also available with super friendly tour guides!

We would definitely go back!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elCuan

Thank you for your review - and we would love to see you back at Atmosphere!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked into Atmosphere for a 4 day weekend. The Suite room was very spacious and well appointed for the three of us. Loved the outdoor shower (although watch out for insect bites!). The wifi went down well and so did the cable channels....until the rest of the place distracted us.
The pool was great - lovely and deep for a hotel pool. Of course they use it for dive training but that is an extra bonus for those of us who just like swimming. Very clean too - sparkling!
The spa was very pretty with treatment cabanas situated around a bubbling stream and the therapists were fantastic. The only downside was the odd noise from kids playing on the other side of the bamboo but I guess that couldn't be avoided. Just a small disruption to the peaceful surroundings.
There is only one restaurant. It offers a great variety of food and drinks which is good when you are there for a few days. Breakfast was very average however - one of the worst I've seen in a hotel of this calibre. Personally I feel they should stop trying so hard to be "fine dining". Offer your great range of food and go for a more casual, laid-back cafe vibe....it would fit more with the rest of the resort and the staff would have easier lives. They were so busy trying to remember bread, water condiments, and so on they often forgot basic good service which became frustrating.
Generally however, service was great. We had excellent airport transfers and everyone was very friendly, helpful and discreet.
Location-wise....we didn't leave the resort once. We hadn't planned to and I don't really know what else was nearby but we were fine staying "in" for 4 days. Any longer and we might have needed a day trip or two! It is quite a small property.
Atmosphere promotes itself as a dive resort and we did not make use of this however my husband is considering getting into this sport and if he does we will definitely go back to Atmosphere because it also caters nicely to members of the family who aren't diving which is a real bonus.

Room Tip: If you are travelling without small children ask for a room away from the pool for a little more pea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your extensive and helpful review! We hope to see you back here - wether or not your husband decides to take up diving. We agree that the best rooms for kids are suite rooms 9-14, they have plenty of room outside to play on the lawn and they have the possibility of adjoining doors, so that larger families can open up between rooms.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

From my first interaction with Raquel (Atmosphere reservations) I knew this would be a good trip, I was wrong, it was categorically an amazing experience. I’m not one for overstating, but it was fantastic!!
We are a young couple with a 19 month old boy, so we were after a relaxing experience for all concerned and Atmosphere ticked all the boxes and the reviews on TA made the decision for us. We wanted as a couple to do some diving and for our son to have somewhere he could run riot and be well looked after. We stayed for a week and managed one day’s diving on Apo Island a morning on the House Reef and swam with Whale Sharks another day – during which he was looked after by one of the resort nanny’s (Yaya’s as they are known). Having the school onsite with its Brit influence was fantastic and coupled with the resorts great swimming pool ensured he slept very well!!
The food was outstanding, the chef doing regular rounds and chatting with many guests. In fact all the staff was amazing, knowledgeable and accommodating. They were playful with our son, and genuinely warm and friendly. We were provided with an extra travel cot and baby bath without so much as a query.
The diving was very good (turtles/beautiful corals and a vast array of critters) with experienced DM’s and a very slick dive shop/set up. They also offer Nitrox at no extra cost. We especially appreciated the hot towels provided after every dive!!
The room and resort layout is beautiful as it’s one long lawn gently sloping down to the black sand beach. The beach is stony, but with a good part of pure sand and the beautiful pool this was of no concern. We stayed in an Apartment (No 30) which is great for a family as you have a huge amount of living space (dining area/kitchen and living room).
My wife took part in the Yoga sessions, which are run in a stilted house overlooking the sea twice a day. Being a Physio by profession she has a keen eye for inexperienced teachings and thankfully gave the Atmosphere yogis a thumbs’ up as they were professional extremely knowledgeable in their approach.
My only comment would be that the bathroom could do with a bit more attention – then again given everything else going on it’s rather a mute point given our overall experience was a 20 out of 10!
We didn’t try the spa, but by the look of the people walking out they also offer a great service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Travelers know that photos and descriptions on a hotel’s own website should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt, and we’ve learned to manage our expectations accordingly. I’m happy to report that Atmosphere is an exception to this norm. I was aware that Atmosphere was one of the top dive resorts in the area, but was still pleasantly surprised. While the rooms/suites were actually much more spacious than they appeared on the website, I also got the impression that Atmosphere was more of a large “Resort” type resort when in fact it only has around 14 suites and is a perfect cozy little boutique dive resort.

We had a wonderful time. Food and beverages were good and if there was something you wanted not on the menu, the kitchen was very accommodating. The staff were all amazing and helpful without being intrusive. The office personnel helped me with some issues during reservations and payment, and they set up our ferry rides and plane rides for our subsequent journey elsewhere in the Philippines efficiently and without fuss. The suites are all similar and I would have been perfectly happy staying in any one of them.

What really shined for us was the PADI 5 star dive shop. We opted to take our AOW and EAN certification here and was glad we did. We were assigned an instructor with 15 years of teaching experience and whom I thought was way overqualified for us novices. But he turned out to be a fantastic instructor, and you can certainly feel his lifelong passion for diving. In fact, I will make a point of coming back to Atmosphere should I decide to take any more PADI courses. The schedule is laid back and flexible, and nothing beats walking 20m from your room to the dive shop, suiting up, then strolling to the Bangka where all your gear is already set up and ready to go. A myriad of excursions are offered including Siquijor , Apo Island, Oslob, and the sites along Dauin coast. The house reef was also a great dive!

We almost went to a competing dive resort in the neigborhood and I consider myself lucky for having a change of heart at the last minute. My wife is already planning another trip with her friends and colleagues, while I’m convincing my father to take up scuba again after a twenty year hiatus. My only regret is that we only spent 5 days out of our 10 day Philippines dive vacation at Atmosphere.

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite 3, which was the third suite from the the pool/dive shop/bar area. Perfect dista...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trever T
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I live in Manila and I am always looking to nice places to spend short week ends away from the city. Atmosphere just turned out like a perfect place.

The resort is just off the main ring road of the island, so it only takes 30 to 40 minutes to reach the place from Dumaguete, that is in turn very easily accessible from Manila, with at least three flights per day. Do not feel stuck in the resort as buses, jeepney and tricycle rides are cheap and at reach in case you want to go back to town (and enjoy the pleasant Boulevard walk at sunset). I'd argue that you do not need the airport transfer that the resort offers if you don't mind figuring out your way around.

The rooms are all suites, large, clean, and comfortable. The shower is in the open, located in a small garden at the back of the room.
The highlight of the resort is the Spa, called the Sanctuary. It compares to the Shangri-La Chi Spa, just half of the price! The treatment huts are in a park carved out of the resort green space. The annexed bathroom completely in the open. Don't miss their flower bath!

The restaurant features continental high-end food. I tried a few tofu dishes and I found the chef very capable to turn an anonymous ingredient in something tasty. The prices do reflect the high quality of the food, but I still find them a good deal given the prices of fine dining in Manila.

The owners seem to treat staff very well and in turn staff is careful and polite.

The only less positive remark that I have is on the pricing of excursions and dives. Prices are definitely above the market, and not always justified. The return airport transfer is 1,400 pesos per person, when a tricycle would ask 300 pesos to get you from town to the resort. When my friend asked for a short snorkeling trip to Apo Island, the price that was quoted for the boat was 8,000 pesos and 1,500 for a sandwich with fruit for lunch. A boat is 2,500 for the day in Batangas, and as much as the sandwich I had was really good, I don't quite think it's worth more than $5 (about 300 pesos with).
I did not dive with the resort. The shop looks nice and clean, but I did not check their rescue facilities. Instructors came across as very professional. However, 2,500 pesos for one dive is about 1,000 pesos in excess of what it normally cost in the Philippines.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Atmosphere Resort is located about 45 minutes from the town of Dumaguete and a few minites nore from the airport. The resort is very well maintained, with manicured gardens, and a good sized swimming pool. The rooms are duplex units, and very spacious. The bathrooms are just outside each room with a pocket garden. The beds are very comfortable and each room has a sitting area inside and outside the room. A nice touch was also the hammock outside the room. They provide each room with water dispensers, so you need not buy bottled water. They don't have blackout curtains in the room, so if you don't like waking up too early, don't forget to bring your eyemask!
Room rates are quite high, but I feel it was worth the money we paid. Breakfast buffet in the morning was good too. And although food was also on the high end, it was delicious. They have a very nice bar by the pool with super friendly staff.
The hotel has a nice kids club which is always a plus if you are travelling with children.
The becach of the hotel isn't really that great. It's quite rocky and the sand is gray. But snorkling in their beach was very nice. You get to see a lot of fish just a few yards away from the shore.
This resort is good for divers. From here, divers can access so many dive spots in the area.
Getting land transportation from the hotel is quite expensive, so booking with other car or van rental companies might be a good idea.

Room Tip: It's a small resort, so you don't have to worry too much about which rooms are closer to the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LeahManila
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Acqua Dive
Acqua Dive
#1 of 3 in Zamboanguita
Atlantis Dive Resorts Dumaguete

Been to Atmosphere Resort? Share your experiences!