“I LOVED IT!!!!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Dauin
Los Angeles, California
“I LOVED IT!!!!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I had a great time! This was my first time out of the country with out the parents and everyone made my stay so unforgettable. The service was fantastic! The team was very accommodating towards my needs with allergies and did their best showing me their beautiful diving locations. Every day it was great getting a "good morning" or " how are you doing today." The food was fantastic and very five star quality. The excursions were awesome especially the whale shark snorkel on Cebu. Can honestly say that I will be coming back to this resort. The dive masters were PHENOMENAL! Thank you guys soooo much and hope to see you guys again soon

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Scubabubble21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
US
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We recently stayed at the Atmosphere Resort (August 21st-31st, 2012). We were met at the airport in Dumaguete by the staff. They collected our luggage and we were taken to the resort in a shuttle van. It was a short trip and the dirver was very accommodating in allowing us to stop for drinks and snacks. Once we arrived at the resort we were given an orientation and received our room assignment. Our room was one of the duplex units. It was beautiful, spacious and modern. The bed is a memory foam Tempurpedic type king-sized bed that was quite comfortable. The voltage is not US but items like our laptops and other devices that also support 220V outlets can be plugged in directly. We also used the standard voltage converter for other devices. The rooms are well furnished. Plenty of storage, adjustable A/C, refrigerator, phone, and television. They stock the refrigerator with a good variety of beverages and numerous snacks on the sidebar. There is a blow-dryer in the room but not a microwave. The rooms also have WiFi Internet access which while not speedy is very convenient. After settling in and setting our dive gear on the porch we went down to the restaurant area and were greeted by the kitchen staff. This area is under roof but open air. There is a great view of the shoreline, grounds and pool area. The restaurant was fabulous. They offer a full menu with a variety of cuisines. In addition to the full menu they have daily specials so that you can try some of the dishes with a bit of Philippine flavor. The staff was very attentive and the food preparation and presentation was excellent. After just a couple of days they knew our names and preferences. Our dive gear was transported by the grounds staff to the dive shop on site and assembled for easy access in an assigned spot. The dive briefing area is a great assembly spot and the divemasters provide information for your next dive(s). Our package included 3 boat dives per day and unlimited shore diving on those days. Once the briefing is complete we would walk to the boat and board it. Our gear was already there and assembled, ready for us to inspect and dive with. The boat was fast and smooth. Most of our dive sites were less than 15 minutes away. The boat staff is very attentive and you are assigned to a divemaster in groups of 4 or 5. The divemasters are very knowledgeable about the underwater life and by the end of your dive their slate will be filled with all kinds of fish and other creature names. The sealife is incredible and unique. Areas that appear like sand bars to get past are actually teeming with creatures on closer inspection. There is fantastic macro life here but there is also large creatures too. The furthest dive site is a location called Apo Island. This is their premium dive and they charge a bit more to go there. When I say a bit, it's actually about $7.00 US. This island is surrounded with varied dive sites. The corals here are more evident as are the currents. We did one dive where we dropped down to about 80 ft. and worked along the edge of the reef until we found the current at this point we ascended to about 50 ft. and found ourselves in a huge school of Bigeye Trevally. We swam with the fishes until they passed us and then we dropped back to the reef and finished with an encounter with a 4 ft. Bumphead Wrasse. Apo Island is definitely worth the small upcharge. Day after day we were shown new things and encountered exotic animals. There is a large assortment of nudibranchs here as well as several types of ghost pipefish and frogfish. The return from the dive day is quick and all of your gear is taken care of for you. We also took advantage of the on-property spa that offers all kinds of massages and treatment. The pool area is a good place to meet up after lunch and talk about all that you saw on your dives. Evening meals are superb and the desserts are worth every calorie. The staff is always watching over you and wanting to know if they could do something more for you. I can tell you that we loved this trip. We have done numerous dive trips and this was our favorite so far. The weather was great. In the low 80s F and the water temperature was 83-86 F.
A couple of things that you should know: 1) There are no night dives in this area. They are trying to protect and improve the reefs and feel this is one way to do it. 2) When you leave your room, if you take your room key, the electricity in the room is turned off (except for the refrigerator.) This is a bit of a problem if you are charging batteries or uploading or downloading. 3) The shower and bathtub are outside! It's not as bad as you might think. The backyard area is fenced with 12 foot high bamboo for privacy. It was a bit unnerving the first couple of showers but once we got used to it, it was fine. This also keeps the room from steaming up. 4) This time of year is their "rainy season". We did hear lightning but it never rained on us and the visibility was 100-150 ft consistently.
That's it! This was a very enjoyable trip and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank jdublyu
AtmosphereManager, Manager at Atmosphere Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your brilliant review of Atmosphere Resorts! We just want to clarify the rules on the night diving; Night diving is allowed and we have a scheduled night dive every night, but the marine sanctuary rules that you so correctly mentioned, do not allow us to do night dives later than 7 pm. Therefore, our night dives begin between just before 6 pm when it starts to get dark, and finish around 7 pm. In the "winter time", darkness falls an hour earlier, just after 5 pm.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My first trip to the Philippines won't be my last, nor with this trip to Atmosphere. From the personal meeting and escort through the airport in Manila between flights to the almost emotional send-off on departure, this resort ranks among my top three and, for value, top one.

You can't ask for a cleaner, more welcoming home away from home. My wife and two of our kids shared two studio suites that were beautiful, located for both privacy and access to the resort facilities and spacious. The outdoor showers are very, very nice (and private) and the attention to detail is excellent.

Food? Oh my. Let's just say that, previous to this trip, our expectations for Philippine food were not high. That may normally be the case, but not here. The on-site restaurant is excellent, the staff very attentive and breakfast can be had early. In fact, I think they'd do just about anything for you any time, if you just asked. They have a new palapa-style structure nearly finished for daytime yoga and evening private dining on the beach. These folks understand comfort and quality like very few others.

The diving was both interesting and excellent and the dive shop is, quite literally, one of the cleanest and most pleasant I've ever experienced. Dive briefings are done there as the dive sites are all close--short boat rides on clean and organized boats...and nice, warm, fragranced face towels after each dive. Really. Their big boat was in dry dock for a new hull but they'd contracted another boat (to complement their smaller "speedboat"--which was a great dive boat in itself) and the crew and craft were both more than we could have expected. We took two trips to Apo Island with them and were thrilled with both. Did I mention whale sharks?

And the dive staff--well, actually every single member of the staff at all levels--obviously enjoys their work and every person affiliated with the resort always greeted us with a smile. Even coming back in on the boats was fun as the dive staff that was on shore was always welcoming and, obviously, having a good time on their own. The smiles are contagious!

We're planning to go back, as soon as possible, and take a crowd. We're very particular about where we take our customers and I have absolutely no reservations about making reservations at Atmosphere.

This is a professionally-run resort where everything happens to make your vacation what it should be; think Disney and how it's always clean but you never really see anyone cleaning and everyone is always happy? Sort of like that, but on an intimate level (and never forced--this is the real deal). The staff, top-down, can be very proud of what they do here.

Room Tip: Penthouses are huge but further from the beach. There are no bad rooms; we looked them over.
6 Thank DVenturesMark
Manila
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just came back from a 3d/2n stay in Atmosphere with my husband.
It was a for a sudden/quick break, as husband's 5 day r&r was just announced friday am. We booked the whole trip Friday evening and was in Dumaguete by Saturday.

1. We did not get the transfers provided by Atmosphere.

The charges were quite steep. For a travel of approx. 25 km from Dumaguete Airport, the resort will charge you somewhere around PHP1,400 per head, ONE WAY! for a 2 person trip, the roundtrip transfers will cost PHP5,600!
My husband and i were able to get a private van for only PHP1,400 - brought us to hotel from the airport the Saturday we arrived there and picked us up from hotel and brought to airport come Monday. We even had stopovers for some quick photos and shopping!
(Note: A bus ride to Dumaguete is only PHP20!!!, we discovered this on the 2nd day of our tour. We still opted for the private van going to airport for convenience and also, so as to be able to have more control of our time and for us to be able to do our last-minute shopping)

2. If you aren't divers, and just want to go snorkelling around Apo Island, better to go to Zamboanguita and get your own boat for approx PHP2,000 for 4 people.

We were supposed to go snorkelling in Apo Island, but were turned off by steep rates provided by hotel. We took jeepney to Zamboanguita (PHP10/head, one way) for the Apo Island boats. However, the weather was bad when we got there so the Coast Guard actually suspended all trips to Apo Island.

3. Beach isn't nice.
The beachfront is small, with black sand + pebbles. We weren't able to swim in the beach much due to bad weather.

I guess transfer/diving rates are okay for foreigners. But for local travellers like us, you can opt for the cheaper alternatives when you go around.

Now, on to the brighter side of the review...

As my husband and i really went here for a mini-vacation (the first one we had for the year,
thanks to our busy schedules!), the place amazed us from start to finish!
The place was just beautiful, with manicured lawns and big suites. Each suite even has a veranda with a couch and a hammock. Thanks to the bad weather, we were able to enjoy our suite stay-cation.
We loved the dinner food! Seared scallops + tiger prawn salad was amazing. So was the tuna Kilawin, according to my husband. We had curry for lunch and this was also amazing. Breakfast buffet is also good, although what i enjoyed most was the brie and the sweet pineapples!

Will go back for the room, not for the beach :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sandnshore
AtmosphereManager, Manager at Atmosphere Resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Hi and thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you loved the rooms and the dining and we hope to see you again (hopefully with better weather!). For the transfer fees to and from the airport, we are very sorry to hear that somehow you were quoted the wrong rates. The one way rate for two people is 1400 pesos (and the round trip airport transfer for two is 2800).
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family of 6 (4 kids ages 7,8,13 & 13) stayed at Atmosphere for 3 nights and 4 days. I wish we could have stayed longer! This is a GREAT resort for many reasons. We really enjoyed every single aspect of our stay here. To be more specific, we took advantage of the following experiences:

Diving: Our daughters were able to get their Scuba Diver Certification here. They really enjoyed working with their teacher and felt very confident at the end of the course. Our 8 year old son was able to participate in the Bubble Maker Course and our 7 year old was able to take a Discover Snorkling class simultaneously. They were very accommodating and made sure that everyone in the family wasn't left out :)

Spa: While the girls were finishing up their Scuba Diver Certification, my husband and I were able to relax in the spa with our sons. They were able to give all 4 of us massages at the same time. We started off with a relaxing foot soak, followed by a 60 minute massage and were able to drink a delicious tea after the massage. The sanctuary was GREAT. There are 3 or 4 massage huts with their own personal bathrooms you can use to rinse off the massage oils....complete with a shower and bathtub. SWEET! They even give you a sarong as a souvenir.

Private Family Yoga Session: Since we were with all our kids, we weren;t ableto participate in the yoga classes. Instead, their in house yoga instructor gave us a private family yoga session. I was very impressed because she was able to hold the attention of our 2 yonger biys, while keeping the interest of our 13 year old girls. Also, my husband and I were challenged enough and we didn't feel like we were in a kiddie class. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Restaurant: All the food we ate was delicious and presented well. I was especially grateful that the kitchen accommodated all our kids' special requests. The service was great and we enjoyed every aspect of all our meals there.

Bar: The bartenders make great drinks. I was even able to tell them flavors I liked and they were able to customize a drink for me :)

Rooms: Our kids stayed in the Penthouse and we stayed in one of the apartments right below them. We all enjoyed how spacious and modern the rooms are. We also really enjoyed the nightly in house treats that were left for us in our rooms. LOVED THAT! Housekeeping also did a great job in making sure everything was super clean!

Every single person we interacted with was very pleasant and everyone seems happy to work there. From the moment we started communicating with Atmosphere, I knew we would get great service. Narciso, the reservations person, was very thorough and detailed when asking about my many inquiries.

We really enjoyed our stay and look forward to coming back.Thanks so much!

Room Tip: We really LOVED the penthouse and also the apartment!
4 Thank rhanee
nebraska
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our trip to Atmosphere was the first time we had been in Asia and the only way it would have been better was to have made our trip longer. There is a high level of thoughtfulness in all aspects of the resort, including the design of the rooms, the layout and services of the spa, the restaurant and bar, as well as the dive operation. Our primary reason for going to Atmosphere was to be able to recommend it to our scuba customers at DiVentures. Not only will we recommend it, but we are trying to decide on the dates of our next trip, taking customers with us.
The restaurant has a vast menu that appeals to a wide range of tastes and happily works with special requests. While we were there, a customer with a long list of food allergies was fed extremely well. The pastry chef works miracles, even in the heavy humidity.
The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. I spent an afternoon shopping with Veeda and she is an incredible source of information. I learned a whole lot about the culture and lifestyle of people living in and around Dumaguete.
The dive shop and staff was absolutely wonderful. After we unpacked our gear and moved it to the dive lockers, we didn't need to worry about it at all. The staff moves it to the boat when needed, sets it up, changes tanks between dives, and washes and stows your gear after your dive. Between dives, they provide warm, fresh washcloths and a bowl of cold fruit to snack on. The divemasters are engaging, friendly and very good at their jobs.
My spa experience was perfect. I requested a traditional Hilot massage and it started with a traditional foot washing and lasted about 1.5 hours. It was one of the best massage experiences I've had. The facilities are beautiful and calming and the staff is extremely attentive.
Our trip was fantastic, thanks to Bigs and the entire staff at Atmosphere. We are really looking forward to our next trip!

4 Thank cdubne
Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was lucky enough to lead a group of 36 divers and snorkellers to Atmosphere last July. This was to be our third expedition to Atmosphere Resort, in the Central Visayan Islands of The Philippines, and after the success of 2011’s July and September trips, we knew what to expect – superb diving with great biodiversity and gourmet cuisine at one of the best dive resorts in Asia. We were welcomed warmly by Matt, Gabby and the staff and soon settled into our luxurious home on the beach, looking across to Apo Island glistening in the warm sunshine. Open Water Course candidates soon found themselves in the pool, while more experienced divers checked their gear in readiness for the first dive at the resort house reef. Snorkellers acquainted themselves with the thriving fish life off the beach, playing with Clown Fish, pointing at Snowflake Moray Eels or being buzzed by a territorial Titan Triggerfish with a bad attitude and a mean set of teeth! Less energetic expeditioners relaxed by the superb infinity pool or organised tours of local lakes and waterfalls, while photographers charged batteries and checked o-rings, anticipating the dives to come out at Apo Island, home to Green Turtles and spiralling schools of Trevally.

We soon got used to glassy calm seas and hot sunshine day after day – the perfect escape from Melbourne’s dreary winter weather. This is a brilliant resort. Highlights of the trip were many – the Filipino people themselves who were universally friendly, kind and generous with their smiles. Often we remarked how they could just not do enough to help us! The diving at Apo was again, wonderful and the house reef despite some coral damage (from Typhoon Sendong) still hums with fish life.

But one of the most amazing experiences of this trip (and any trip) was to be found at the nearby fishing village of Oslob, on the island of Cebu. Since last October, local fishermen have developed an amazing relationship with a number of harmless Whale Sharks (or “Butanding” in the local dialect). The Whale Sharks feed on krill over the local reefs, and had started to follow the fishermen catching juvenile shrimp during the evenings. A few handfuls of shrimp offered to the Whale sharks established a pattern of behaviour which has continued since and we had the pleasure of watching these huge but gentle giants trailing after dugout canoes only one hundred metres off the beach. Our group enjoyed this experience over four mornings, as we had broken into small groups of nine. Snorkelling only is permitted (which suited me fine as I was restricted by a broken arm in cast). Each group found at least three Whale sharks up close and personal. A five metre distance rule was mandatory, but the Whale Sharks often came in closer and one risked backing into the path of one whilst moving away from another. It was inspiring. Beautiful. Unique. Athough we were only allowed 30 minutes in the water, this was thirty minutes immersed in their presence, closer than I had expected with the Whale Sharks coming to us rather than we to them.
It must be recognised that this is a fairly artificial experience, as the Whale Sharks are ‘held’ in the area by the intermittent feeding from the local fishermen. But, there are now some good management controls in place, and the feeding of a few handfuls only supplements rather than replaces their natural feeding patterns. The biggest step forward has been controlling the number of visitors and directing their behaviour. While this may not be a perfect relationship, it certainly is preferable to what happened only a few years ago, when these Whale Sharks would have been captured and butchered for village consumption. Once known as the “Tofu Shark” this is certainly a more sustainable approach, though the impacts on their migrations needs to be considered.

We returned to a freezing cold three degree Melbourne winter morning amazed by what we had witnessed. In short - Atmosphere is a sure bet. Just a wonderful resort, well trained sincere staff and a great location.

Room Tip: The penthouses are amazing - 200 square metres.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Divefreak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dauin
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort
Vida Homes Condo Resort
Sea Dream Resorts
Sea Dream Resorts
#6 of 16 in Dauin

Been to Atmosphere Resort? Share your experiences!