“Beautiful but large hotel”

Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Dong Hoi
Durham, North Carolina
“Beautiful but large hotel”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The hotel looks great! Staff at the lobby is very kind and helpful. English is so-so. Rooms were big and clean. They even paid attention to the fact that we just got married. We had a beautiful bouquet with roses in the room, they decorated the bed and we had a bath filled with water and roses. Just great! Dinner we had near the beach. I believe it was the Ocean Bar. They have different choices between western and Vietnamese dishes. The portions aren't very big, so I ordered twice. Only a few vegetarian dishes like pizza and rice. One of us ordered the hot pot. I can recommend that one (not veggie), it looked great and it was a lot of food. Food is more expensive than outside the resort, but that is everywhere.
In the early morning we walked around the resort and it is huge! Here and there they are building something to make it even bigger. There are many large, quiet pools. Beach is beautiful. Everything is well kept. Huge villa's with pools and they seem great! Wish I could have stayed there more than one night. In my opinion it is a good resort.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Vietnamese first
Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This hotel is acceptable, but I would not want to stay more than one night. We checked in around 5pm. I booked an ocean garden view room. The room was not pictured as on their website. If I would have seen the picture of this room, I definitely would have upgraded!! We walked around the property. The pools seemed clean, but a lot of children were swimming so we didn't go for a swim. We walked to the beach and it was also clean. While walking through the room corridors, there is a terrible stench. We fell asleep and missed dinner. We woke up to a beautiful sunrise. Breakfast was included. Breakfast was absolutely packed and a free for all. Knowing that our guide requested to have our luggage brought to the transport, (before we left for breakfast) I put the do not disturb sign on the door. The bellman took the luggage with no regard to the sign. Checkout was smooth. The reason we stayed here was to visit the caves which are well worth the trip. I would recommend arriving at the hotel late in the day, wake up early, eat breakfast, check out, drive to the caves and drive back to Hue.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Live2Travel1000
Terrigal, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I had heard that the area around Dong Hoi suffered major damage during storms in late 2013 and had been hesitent about staying at this resort.
It is in a great location on the beach.
I had stayed here on a previous visit to Dong Hoi.
However my fears were quickly put to rest. A lot of work has been done restoring and refurbishing the rooms and the facilities. In may places it is hard to imagine that any damage had been done. The work is still ongoing in some areas but the Sun Spa is still a great place to stay.
A visit to either the Paradise or Phong Ngha caves is a great excursion and highly recommended.
Alternatively you can just relax beside one of the pools or enjoy the beach.
I ceratinly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2014

As mentioned by previous guests the ocean view means pearing through Palm trees and bushes. The meal in the main restaurant equals the standard of a MCDonalds meal only much more expensive. Would have loved a Macca's after dining there so I felt a bit fuller. Decided not not have desert as I didn't feel like waisting my money. I think they need to go to South Vietnam to take some lessons on what their guest needs are and how to look after them otherwise they will never go forward in the Hospitality industry. It appears these comments have been made before but not addressed. Don't waste your money, they need to be trained on what Hospitality means accross the board.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weewock

Travelers are raving about these Dong Hoi hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed May 13, 2014

It has been a business trip for me, i booked an ocean suit but "unfortunately" this type of rooms were not available so the hotel upgraded me to a sea vila. It was fantastic, right at the sea, own swimmingpool, garden, nice room with same size extraordinary and luxury bathroom. There were some mosquitos, but not many and the house is built in a way that even in case the windows are closed, you can clearly hear the waves of the see. There is an ongoing rehabilitation outside at the seashore, due to the last year tayfun. My only concern relates to the breakfast, that was the only thing below level. No yogurt, very few fruits, however local food and pho was available for compensation. Everything for money, even the map of the city, but affordable, mainly close to nothing (map, bicycle 20.000 VND) Good, recomended place to stay.

Room Tip: The vila is fantastic, rooms said to be fine!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mecserim
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed four nights. It felt like a hostage crisis. You get there, and you're like, "This is cool, I'm off the beaten path, everyone here is Vietnamese, the room is fine, restaurant not bad. And I can probably get used to that smell in the hallway." So my rating for one night would be a 3.5 stars. Then you realize the food is really plain/bad, the beach is unusable, the pool is kind of groady, and you want to move on. Btw, there are zero other options to eat, and you are near zero stores at which to buy something. The caves are many hours away. No one speaks passable English. And I guarantee your room bill will be messed up, even if you check it the night before. And the laundry stained our clothes. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? Sun Group needs to spend some money and invest in this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dallas_discern
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Landscape is very beautiful, romantic, stretching coast, blue water, clean. Good food, attentive service, friendly environment. I like Sun Spa Resort!

Welcome to ASEAN Tourism http://www.aseantourism.travel