“best in the area”

Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Dong Hoi
Reviewed June 9, 2011

This is the best hotel south of Hanoi to Hue, I did stay here earlier and will definitively come back.

Great beach, good restaurant, good location.

Service need to be improved ( ie. after 2300 no phone call possible since it is not permanently occupied, hence i used my feet to run to the reception asking for room service !!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank MacHope

Reviewed January 11, 2011

My only regret was that I stayed at this beautiful place one day and night. I am returning to Vietnam with three other people, and intend to stay at least 3 days. Beautiful beach, gigantic pool, bar on the beach, looking at the outside of the facilities, it looked like in the movies.
The staff were gracious, which is no surprise in this country. The prices are ridiculous. Inexpensive is not the word. In the USS the same night's stay would cost close to a months mortgage.
Do not waste time reading this review, just figure out when you will visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank hieubietusa
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I recently stayed here for a week with five other expat families living in Hanoi. At first, the resort could do nothing else but please - a lovely white sandy beach complete with alert lifeguards, two swimming pools, garden restaurants, lovely grassed area with shaded swings and cabanas, the promise of six restaurants to try out, inviting menu, cheapish cocktails, and decent-looking rooms with all the expected 4-star mod cons. At night there was a band playing Vietnamese and English favourites. Lots of fun for the kids and the beach activities were well set up and executed.

Things went downhill on the second day and pretty much left a sour taste in the mouth, despite the lush surrounds and relaxing atmosphere. The service was terrible and completely inflexible. Only 2 restaurants were ever open (expect a third for the buffet breakfast when the hotel was busier) and on one night there was only ONE place to eat open for business. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but there weren't any other options within walking distance. (If travelling in a smaller group it would have been much easier to explore the local restaurants with a short taxi ride). The inflexibility was astounding - despite having every single meal at the resort, we couldn't take drinks onto the lawn or were given trouble if we tried to order from the other restaurant that was booked out one evening. Every single time an order was made involving 4 or more people, a mistake was made: a dish left out and someone left hungry, a dish coming out after everyone else was having their dessert, drinks/food sitting on the serving counter for 5 minutes within full view before being brought out, a cocktail arriving instead of a pizza, and a coffee instead of a gin. It all became a joke by the 5th time we sat down to eat together. The language barrier could have been averted with a little customer service training in re-checking orders. Simple. And the manager could have given a better excuse other than lack of staff when there were at least 3 people standing around doing nothing at all times.

Grumbling aside, ALL the food was really very yummy and all meals were well-sized.

After two nights, we all realised just how uncomfortable the beds were and I only entered the pool once after feeling the slime all along the bottom of the pool. I also got really tired of the bathroom floor being covered with water due to poorly designed bath tubs. The rooms were really well cleaned and I appreciated having the towels changed twice a day.

I will return to Sun Spa again - but only for a couple of nights. As a one-stop-hang-about-resort this place has a very long way to go. We should have eaten our meals outside the resort like most of the other guests appeared to do and I’m sure we would have been happier. But the potential is there for the Sun Spa to be exceptional and the newly built villas with private pool were amazing. I just wish something could be done about the customer service.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was a beautiful hotel. We arrived very early to see the sun coming up over the beach and infinity pool which was spectacular. Unfortunately the staff did not really speak any english as I do not think it is a regular stop for travellers and is definitely not a backpacker stop. The food was excellent though we nearly didn't get any due to a power cut in the town, another sign that it is not a big stop on the normal Vietnam holiday makers travels. It was an excellent place to stop to visit the phong Nha caves, only a 45 minute drive away, the reason we stayed there. There is nothing else in the town however and only worth visiting for the beautiful beach and hotel facilities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I was extremely disappointed with Sun Spa Resort in Dong Hoi. We arrived by train later in the evening. The staff was incredibly unhelpful and unfriendly. We were taken WAY out to rooms and put on the third floor even tho' hardly anyone was staying there at this time. We asked to exchange rooms but were told it would be an extra $70 to do so even though the internet price was much lower. So we stayed in our room with a crappy view. The rooms were nice but the bed was rock hard. It was absolutely the worst bed I slept on...worse than the lumpy questionable bed in Phan Rang. We headed over to the restaurants (several listed) only to find all were closed but the big cafeteria style restaurant. The food was bland, the waitstaff was unsmiling and unfriendly but insisted on pouring our wine for us even though we made it clear it was not necessary. We noticed over the course of a couple days that they were specifically trained to do certain things...and that was ok, we'd seen it before in VN and usually found it charming and quirky...but it wasn't ok when we were being waited on by unfriendly robots. Instead it was creepy. With all that said, after we found the Ocean Bar we were never unhappy again. We could eat decent bar food, mostly pizza and sit outside and drink wine and pina coladas by the ocean. The hotel band, The Philipino Band, arrived every evening and entertained us. They were the friendliest and most accomoding strolling band we've ever had the pleasure of hearing. The became good friends and we even went to the Dong Hoi market with them one day. They've since moved to another resort, mostly because they weren't gettting paid what was promised and rarely on time. This surprised me since the owner is the one who built Hwy 1 and there was no expense spared in landscaping and in the buildings themselves. I know we stayed at Sun Spa during their winter and wasn't expecting too much, but every other place we stayed either gave us an upgrade or a discount because of the season and lack of occupants. Not here. On the last day we did find a girl at the front desk who helped us acquire a sleeper car to Hanoi and she went the extra mile, but this kind of treatment wasn't the norm for us. This should have been one of our favorite places on the trip because of its beauty and ended up being our least favorite. What a shame.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LePossum
Reviewed April 16, 2010

The hotel is aesthetically stunning, especially the pools with infinity edges that disapear into the ocean. There were a lot of staff for not many guests. Some were lovely, others not so friendly. We tipped a number of staff while we were there and some seemed very happy and others seemed unhappy as they wanted more. The massage service seemed a bit hit and miss. My husband had a good one but mine was ...well uncomfortable. I was massaged by a lady who kept commenting on and grabbing by breasts and buttocks while she clambered all over me while wearing a very short tight skirt which was very weird (perhaps just a cultural difference going on there?). Then she asked me to fill on a form in which I had to rate the massage and say how much I would like to tip her. She hovered inched away from me as I filled it in and told be I had not tipped enough. I had offered about 25% of the original price, but she wanted 50% to 100%. The language barrier was more profound there compared to the rest of Vietnam that we visted, so our "vegetarian" food sometimes arrived with lumps of pork and prawns. A trip into town was eye opening and made us feel a little uncomfortable staying in a five star resort in the middle of what seems to be a poverty affected area.
The pools were stunning and huge! They didn't smell or taste of chlorine, so I would have been a little nervous if I had children there in case they swallowed or inhaled water. My husband both got a mild dose of gastro while there, but we dont know if it was from food or the pool. Despite the few complaints above we thought it was really very pretty and we would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

The hotel area is huge and very nice gardens and incredible long clean hotel beach.
Anyhow it is a bit expensive for a rather poor and not touristic area. You will know what I mean if you step outside of this resort, take one of the waiting taxis at the entry and take a ride to the Dong Hoi market... :-)))
Right now the area develops fast and 2 hotels are just under construction on the left and rightern side of this hotel (anyhow don't fear about noises too much, cos the area is pretty huge... but check your room first cos one small part of the hotel faces a construction site now). There is even an airport at Dong Hoi, but only for flights to Hanoi.
The hotel offers luxury rooms around 190USD with several nice rooms, 2 bathrooms, writing desk and a nice ocean view. It offered ocean view rooms at around 90USD and garden view rooms at 60USD. The garden view rooms have low WiFi coverage but besides that disadvantage, it is also good value for money, nice terrace and view.
The shown "ocean view" - room was a bit disappointing cos I couldn't see any ocean behind the trees... thats why I choose the next one with graden view and was not disappointed ;-)))
The hotel area is a lot to walk around, it offers many amenities and 2 big pools. If only the weather would have been nice :'( When I was there, Dong Hoi was a bit cold to me and to freezing to use the nice pools. Make sure you go there at summer time, cos otherwise you cannot enjoy the whole offerings and the nice beach.
The breakfast is incredible delicious and offers a large variety....
I liked the whole hotel area, the hotels furniture, as well as the staff. Only the contrast when you leave the hotel is huge.... you can take a taxi for every meal and every drink and it will always be cheaper than inside the hotel, thats for sure ;-)
Dong Hoi doesn't have famous food like Hué. So locals recommended the hot pot restaurant to me which was good. At the other restaurants I liked fried noodles most.
Unfortunately I haven't found a good seafood restaurant at Dong Hoi: but there has to be one, cos the fisherman's harbour is just next to the river which flows to the sea (see my picture P1040803.JPG) next to the hotel site. So I hope they will still open a good local seafood restaurant in future !!!
Besides I was only 2 1/2days at Dong Hoi, walking through downtown and back and visiting the caves at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phong_Nha-Ke_Bang_National_Park

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
#7 of 28 in Dong Hoi
Vinh Hoang Hotel
Vinh Hoang Hotel
#4 of 28 in Dong Hoi

Been to Sun Spa Resort Quang Binh Vietnam? Share your experiences!