“A 5-star budget experience”

Sunshine Hotel Quang Binh
Ranked #4 of 38 Dong Hoi B&B and Inns
“A 5-star budget experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Dong Hoi is a town with few tourists and even fewer locals speaking English. Cindy, the manager at Sunshine, is a rare exception, her English is very good. She's also one of the sweetest and most service oriented people we have encountered in Vietnam. We stayed in a twin room that was immaculately clean, with comfortable beds, hot water, wi-fi and a/c. All worked as it was supposed to and Cindy informed us of any possible problems beforehand so that we could make informed decisions. She also provided us with a map to the caves, weather advice, one afternoon she let us use her motorbike for free so that we could go buy our train tickets (she missed her dinner because of us - sorry Cindy)... Briefly, it was very pleasant staying at Sunshine! Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013
828CindyN, Owner at Sunshine Hotel Quang Binh, responded to this review, January 25, 2015
Dear valued customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind and informative review. It was my pleasure assisting you during your stay here at Sunshine Hotel. I always strive to offer the best customer service I possibly can so your comments are truly appreciated. I am glad you found our rooms to be to your satisfaction and had a comfortable stay. Thank you for your recommendation and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip. I hope to see you again.

Cindy Nquyen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Vietnamese first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I can absolutely nothing but recommend this place. Rooms are clean, showers just wonderful and price is very reasonable. Chapter for itself is the staff. Cindy is extremely helpful and tries to do her best for guests. By the way, she is also the most beautiful lady I've met between Bangkok and Hanoi, so don't forget to take i picture with her!:)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Martin P
828CindyN, Manager at Sunshine Hotel Quang Binh, responded to this review, January 23, 2015
Dear valued customer, thank you for reviewing Sunshine Hotel here on Tripadvisor and for your very kind comments. We are delighted that you were impressed by the cleanliness of our rooms and shower facilities. It is a pleasure to hear that you were also satisfied with our customer service and we would love to welcome you again in the future.
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at the Sunshine Hotel. We stayed at a double bedroom, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was nice and modern, and the wifi was fast. Everything about the hotel looks new and very well taken care of, our room was cleaned daily and supplies restocked. The hotel manager's English is excellent, and she was very helpful and attentive to all of our needs (providing directions, renting a motorbike, etc.) We are budget travelers and the value was very good as well. I would highly recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike T
Dear valued customer, thank you for taking the time to review us here on Tripadvisor. It is great to hear that we were successful in meeting all of your needs and that you were pleased with our services. We are very greatful for your recommendation and hope you will choose Sunshine Hotel again in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This hotel was recommended to us by other travellers who had stayed there before. We arrived quite early in the morning with the sleeper train. When we finally found the hotel it was about 8am and we met the manger CIndy who spoke very good English. We had booked the room through agoda for 14$ and were hoping to do an early checkin as many places in Vietnam allowed us to do so for no charge. Even though there were rooms available at that time, Cindy said that we would need to pay 1,50$ for each hour before 12 (checkin time). We never experienced such a thing before so we refused and decided to get on with our day and go see the paradise cave.

We followed Cindy's recommendation and rented a motorbike for 10$. She lent us a map for the day and indicated the way to get there. The cave was amazingly beautiful and is definitely a highlight of our 1 month trip in Vietnam (and we've seen many caves in Laos and Vietnam). It took us about an hour and a half to get there and we spent over an hour walking through the cave.

When we got back to the hotel we were able to check in our room. Cindy nicely offered if we preferred a room on the second (twin beds) or third floor (double bed). We chose a double bed room.
Positives:
Nice and comfortable bed
Window and AC
Decent shower pressure

Negatives:
Only one tiny towel was in the bathroom (we had to get a second one from another room that was opened)
A lot of ants on the bedroom floor
Garbage bin hadn't been changed (it was still full of rubbish)
Bathroom ceiling opened (probably still under construction)

Other negative points about our stay at Sunshine Hotel:
No restaurant or breakfast included
Location isn't the best to find a good and reasonable place to eat
The motorbike rental was only until 9pm but we found that out when we were about to leave with it to have dinner at 8pm. So we decided to not rush it and return the bike. It was already an expensive rental fee compared to other places where we rented in Vietnam so we were disappointed. Later Cindy offered to lend us her own motorbike but we didn't want to take the risk in case something happened to the bike.

The MOST annoying thing that happened to us was the bus ticket that we booked through the hotel. Since the price (150,000 VD) was already double of what is quoted in the lonely planet (80,000VD) we expected to get a big bus and confirmed with Cindy that it would be the case. The bus was an hour late and when it showed up, it was a minivan with 3 local passengers in it. We were surprised and asked Cindy why it wasn't the big bus that we expected. She talked with the driver and answered that because not a lot of people were traveling to Hue that day (a Monday after a long vietnamese holiday weekend) we would travel with this "minibus". Fair enough we thought, if it was only the 5 of us. But 20 minutes later, there was near 30 people on the minivan with us! Only locals (whom we saw paying a third of what we paid or less) with live chickens, smoking and a few babies. We were squeezed with about 7 other people on the first seating row. Terrible 4 hour drive!! I wouldn't recommend booking transport tickets through Sunshine hotel and would go by myself to the train/bus station. We didn't get what we were promised and felt ripped off. Once in Hue, we were dropped off on a random street and not at the bus station. Not sure it was a legit bus at all...

All in all, Dong Hoi isn't a town where there's a lot to do other than the caves. If we had known, we would have spent the morning visiting caves and got back on the day or night train to our next destination.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
828CindyN, General Manager at Sunshine Hotel Quang Binh, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Isabelish,

I am Cindy from Sunshine Hotel. How is your trip in Vietnam so far? Are you happy with Vietnam?

I have read your review about Sunshine Hotel on tripadvisor and understand that you was not happy with what we offered to you during the time you are in Dong Hoi

First of all, I would like to say thanks for choosing us as a stop on your trip and wish you a wonderful time in Vietnam. My apologize for all inconvenience that you have experience in our hotel

About the extra payment for early check-in,please knowing that there was no available room in second and third floor except fourth floor at the moment. But the 4th floor is under construction (we sent all beds back to manufacture for fixing). As our policy,the extra payment was a tip for house keeper to clean faster in order to arrange a room for you. I am sorry for not fully explain to you

Secondly, on that morning, there was another 2 guys from Australian wanted to rent motorbike so I have to take other hotel's motorbike for you and they asked to returned back after 12 hours. In that case, I already offered you to use my motorbike for free in exchange but you was refused even 2 motorbikes are the same

Thirdly, for the room, if you were not happy, you could ask to change room, require for extra things , and ask for my help at anytime because I am always in reception waiting to serve you at my best. However, you kept quite so it was too difficult for me to fulfill my mission. I wish you were told me about your uncomfortable so I could do sth like at least changing room for you. It mean you give me a chance to serve you better. I understand my hotel is brand new and we haven't got much experience so I really really want a open conversation with all guests. We welcome all your opinion to build our services better time to time

Finally, the ticket bus, on behalf of the hotel, I would to give you a deeply sorry from us for all worst experience, I want to send you back the payment so please contact me at: cindynguyen.marketing@gmail.com so we can discuss how I can pay you back
For further information, to let you know, I already worked with the bus company, they explained me that September, 2nd was a holiday and they don't have any bus working, therefore, they booked another local bus without carefully checking. Normally, bus company offered 30 - 45 seats buses, and this is the first time they have done this to my customer. I already cancel the contract with this company and looking for another partner to make sure all services we offer to guest are safe and reliable
In conclusion, once a again, I want to say sorry for everything and hopefully to contact you as soon as possible
Wageningen, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just visited Dong Hoi for one night to visit the caves.
We arrived late, and at that time no-one could speak even a word of English. Eventually we got our keys. Next day a good-english-speaking staff member helped us with a scooter. Scooter was from the hotel, but halfway we got a flat tire (but I don't think we can blame the hotel for that), which we had to pay ourselves.
Shower was only warm for a few minutes.
Location is not very special, but Dong Hoi itself is also a dull town to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
828CindyN, Manager at Sunshine Hotel Quang Binh, responded to this review, January 24, 2015
Dear valued customer, we can only apologise for your negative experience here at Sunshine Hotel. We currently have two full-time staff members who speak fluent English so hopefully this situation will not arise again. Upon check-in to our hotel we now inform our customers of the hot water switch to ensure that they can enjoy a lengthy hot shower. We regret that you found Dong Hoi a dull town and have compiled a list of interesting sites and tours in our town thanks to your helpful review. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Rooms were lovely, clean, spacious and good value. Hot water, AC & WiFi - everything we needed! Cindy was really friendly and super helpful. We hired mopeds to visit the caves and it was brilliant!
Only negative is there's not really anywhere nearby to eat - it's a good 10/15 minute walk to the nearest cafe with a menu.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear valued customer,

We are very pleased that you were satisfied with our rooms here at Sunshine Hotel. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the caves as many of our customers do. Currently we have found a restaurant within walking distance of our hotel that is proving popular with our guests. We now also have free bicycle rental for those who wish to travel to the cafes and restaurants a little further away. Thank you for taking the time to review Sunshine Hotel here on Tripadvisor and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey.
Cotati, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The room was spacious, very comfortable, and clean. The staff was attentive and gave helpful advice. The room was cleaned daily. Another plus that we appreciated was that there were outlets conveniently located on either side of the bed. We would recommend this hotel if staying in Dong Hoi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear valued customer,
Thank you for your review and recommendation here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with your room. Here at Sunshine Hotel we strive to provide a pleasant and comfortable stay for all of our guests. It would be our pleasure to welcome you to Sunshine Hotel again sometime in the future.