“Strokestown Park National Irish Famine Museum” 1 of 5 bubbles

Strokestown Park National Irish Famine Museum
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Strokestown Park National Irish Famine Museum”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very disappointing!
Interpretation of the house included nothing related to the life of the displaced, starving Irish who lived on the land - the very reason I had gone there.
It was a long drive from Lahinch, Co. Clare where I was staying. Road signs were not good.

I think there should be one price instead of charging visitors separately for: house; garden and museum.

Truly I wouldn't have bothered going if I had known that the house was such a poor representation of life at that time for the Irish. There wasn't a single word about the Famine during our tour of the house.

Much of the famine information is available online or by purchasing some booklets, through one of the online stores

Visited September 2012

• Polish first
Virginia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“poignant but a little less than expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Strokestown Famine Museum had been on my list for my Sept. trip to Ireland, just to help the reality of the Famine "soak in" for me — my own ancestors emigrated to Canada just before the active Famine years.

There were a lot of great quotes and information — haunting to see how so few grasped the severity of the Famine as it was happening (except, of course, the Irish poor). Overall, though, it was less-well-preserved and -presented than I'd hoped for. Perhaps I'd done enough advance reading that it didn't add as much as I'd hoped to my understanding. But I do agree with other reviewers that this should get more attention and be updated/expanded even further.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank buymeaticket
San Jose, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Gives a poignant insight to the devastating famine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

The famine museum gives an comprehensive history of the terrible events before, during and after the time of the famine. Very instructional. There is a lot of information to read and digest in the exhibit so I also bought the book "The Great Irish Famine" by Stephen J. Campbell (based on the exhibit) from the gift shop and that is a good read for anyone interested in this event. I even found some people of my family name listed in the "evictions" so well worth a visit! Didn't have time to visit the house and gardens, but we had a bite to eat in the cafe - nice bread pudding!

Visited August 2012
Ellijay, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Must For Anyone of Irish Blood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Captures the tragedy with significant artifacts and history. The tour of the mansion captivates your imagination of how the rich lived prior to the famine. The history of how the average Irish person consumed 14.2 lbs. of potatoes per day, demonstrates how dependant they were on it. How sad to realize how many people perished from the famine and/or their attempt to cross the Atlantic. Hopefully they will poor some more money into the grounds and museum. This should continue to be a national treasure. We actually visited here in June of 2011.

Visited October 2011
Chicago, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Famine Museum a historical feast for the soul.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My friend took the tour of the house and gardens and enjoyed every moment of what it was, and what it is, for historic places don't stand to answer to us but to time. They are what they are. The tour guide was great, both by my friend's account and as she was great to me, encouraging me to take the house tour despite my reservations of being limited due to handicap. I wish I'd listened to her advice and gone. I remained in the famine musuem, where another member of the staff was of infinite help to me on many levels...beginning with good advice in choosing a book on The Hunger and ending with good, sound personal advice. :) My chat with her, early in our trip, changed my outlook and experience in the rest of it. The time both staffers gave me was priceless. I found the museum haunting, and would like to return to spend even more time there. At the entrance to the museum a group who had toured the installation created a recreation of the space available to families on the coffin ships. I wheeled myself into the incredibly SMALL space and just sat there for a bit. It was quite a profound moment, as I could not even imagine. Like all historic places, things are there for you if choose to take them. This place had much to offer.

Visited August 2012