“A Must For Anyone of Irish Blood”

Strokestown Park & National Famine Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Strokestown Park House is a time-capsule of the Ascendancy in decline juxtaposed with The National Famine Museum. A unique visitor attraction comprising a Georgian Palladian mansion which was once the home of the Anglo-Irish Pakenham-Mahon family, The Walled Pleasure gardens and the National Famine Museum. The National Famine Museum was established at Strokestown Park using original documents from the time which were unearthed during restoration works in the 1980's. The occupying landlord, Major Denis Mahon was assassinated at the height of The Great Irish Famine. A tour of The House gives an intimate insight into life in The Big House, upstairs and downstairs. The Irish National Famine Museum tells a different story and highlights the disparities between social classes during a tragic chapter of Irish History. The Walled gardens and Woodlands take you back again to the glorious surroundings of a planned Georgian estate. Under Irish Heritage Trust management since 2015.
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Captures the tragedy with significant artifacts and history. The tour of the mansion captivates your imagination of how the rich lived prior to the famine. The history of how the average Irish person consumed 14.2 lbs. of potatoes per day, demonstrates how dependant they were on it. How sad to realize how many people perished from the famine and/or their attempt to cross the Atlantic. Hopefully they will poor some more money into the grounds and museum. This should continue to be a national treasure. We actually visited here in June of 2011.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My friend took the tour of the house and gardens and enjoyed every moment of what it was, and what it is, for historic places don't stand to answer to us but to time. They are what they are. The tour guide was great, both by my friend's account and as she was great to me, encouraging me to take the house tour despite my reservations of being limited due to handicap. I wish I'd listened to her advice and gone. I remained in the famine musuem, where another member of the staff was of infinite help to me on many levels...beginning with good advice in choosing a book on The Hunger and ending with good, sound personal advice. :) My chat with her, early in our trip, changed my outlook and experience in the rest of it. The time both staffers gave me was priceless. I found the museum haunting, and would like to return to spend even more time there. At the entrance to the museum a group who had toured the installation created a recreation of the space available to families on the coffin ships. I wheeled myself into the incredibly SMALL space and just sat there for a bit. It was quite a profound moment, as I could not even imagine. Like all historic places, things are there for you if choose to take them. This place had much to offer.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Strokestown has become a rundown Ghost town and is a depressing place.
It is a pity that that Strokestown Park also has an air of neglect hanging over it. It has the potential to be a wonderful attraction but it is obvious that it is being run on a shoestring.
It was 12 euro to visit the museum, house and garden, not cheap, but they need every penny they can get. I'm a lover of gardens so for me that was the biggest disappointment, it was so sad and neglected and yet beautiful. I live next to the Botanic gardens in Dublin and walk there often for free, there is no comparison between the two, Strokestown is overgrown and rundown, what a pity. The museum is very interesting and well presented, I enjoyed it. The house is also a very interesting place although like everywhere else needs serious investment, our guide was excellent. Srokestown could be as successful as Kylemore with the right marketing and investment, it is a hauntingly beautiful place that needs to be saved for future generations.

2  Thank Crangle56
Reviewed August 3, 2012

While in Roscommon on a mid week trip we had been meaning to visit Strokestown Park as we passed throught Roscommon on previous trips. We detoured to make the visit this time. It was late in the evening at 4.15 p.m. we chose to visit the gardens as the house was closed. Regretably it was a little disappointing and maybe our expectations were raised to high. we were not able to visit the house as it was closed, so it is not fair to make a full review of the attraction. The restaurant was finishing serving , and the menu offered beef and Mushroom Pie or bacon chop in mustard sauce at €10.00 each. overall feeling was one of disappointment. Fee of €8.00 + Vat per person.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Beautiful house, just wished more of it had been open. Our tour guide was informative with a good sense of humor.The famine museum is informative & interesting. The gardens were beautiful & well maintained. Well worth a visit.