“Disappointing 4 star”

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
“Disappointing 4 star”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

On first impressions this hotel looks inviting, but the parking area is quite disheveled with potholes. Our room was very small and basic. Although the staff were extremely friendly and attentive and the food was good, the service was mediocre. We visited the pool but didn't stay long as the water was quite cold. Overall this hotel lacks finesse and is not worthy of a four star rating.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Offalymammy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Dublin
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Myself, my husband and two children (6yrs & 2yrs) visited the Millrace in February 2014. The hotel looked well (clean inside and out), reception staff were very friendly. We booked ajoining rooms, the main thing we noticed when entering the rooms was the little heater on the floor which we found odd. We went for dinner in the reception that evening (a Thursday) and found the hotel to be very cold, so much so that my husband had to get my daughters jumper to keep her warm while we ate. We did mention it to the staff and they stated that they were warm but they would turn on the heating for us. When we returned to our room we found out why the heaters were there, the room was really cold. We explored the local area the next day and returned to the hotel to prepare for dinner. I called to reception after dinner asking for some help in regulating the heating of the room, they came and checked the settings in both rooms and said that they were set correctly and that the heating was coming from the ceiling (no radiators in the room or air conditioning was noticed). When she left I felt the ceiling and could not feel any heat ( I thought it strange that the corridor was warmer that the room). The next day it was like a different hotel, all rooms felt warm, the fire was lit from early that morning the hotel was finally warm. The heat or lack of was my only complaint, but it was uncomfortable cold, I am used to findings hotels hot but then you can open a window, but to walk around a hotel with extra clothes to keep warm was really strange....... Would recommend going at the weekend without taking in mid week (Friday night-Saturday/ Sunday, there was a noticable difference in temperature and the staff were more friendly and helpful in the restaurant on these days)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JadedDublin
Liz F, Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Millrace Hotel. Your comments and recommendations have been taken on board as we are currently updating some of our bedrooms. We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Millrace Hotel again soon.

Cathy Murphy
Dublin
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a family gathering last weekend. There were 22 of us in total between adults and children. The hotel was quite nice in a good location. On the receptionist's recommendation we visited Altamont Gardens which was a real hidden gem and only 10 minutes from the hotel.
The water feature outside the hotel is an absolute hazard especially for a family hotel. One of the little boys in our party fell into the 'moate' and was quite upset and embarrassed by the ordeal.
The food in the restaurant was very good and there was lots of it. I was a bit disappointed the night of our main evening meal however. We were given a set menu from which I couldn't find anything I would eat. I asked the waiter if I could order something from the bar menu, however I was informed that I could not order off menu, which I thought was pretty poor form.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Leeagh
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Dear Leeagh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Millrace Hotel. I have taken all your comments on board regarding our water feature and also our menu selection in the Bistro which are currently being reviewed. Thank you for your lovely comments on the food which I have also passed on.
We look forward to welcoming your group back to the Millrace Hotel in the near future!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights bed & breakfast with our 2 years old daughter in The Millrace Hotel. We had huge bedroom and large bathroom with separate shower and bath - Jacuzzi. Room was very clean and warm (you can control room temperature by yourself), also bed was very comfy, we had very good sleep.
Breakfast in the hotel is very nice, tasty and fresh (we had full Irish breakfast). Lunch and dinner were fabulous!
Reception and bar-restaurant staff were very friendly.
Thank You for lovely time in Your hotel!

Room Tip: we had side bedroom in the 3rd floor, very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Netely
Dear Netely,

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review on your stay at the Millrace Hotel and I have to say your photos are great! Your comments have been passed onto all the team here and on behalf of the management & staff we would like to thank you in return and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another break away in the near future!!

dublin
Reviewed March 7, 2014

we booked 2 family rooms last weekend, we had read reviews on this hotel and were a bit nervous about checking in, we must say we enjoyed everything about this hotel, receptionist was so nice and friendly, rooms were warm, loads of space and bathrooms were good, no threadbare towels!! Food in the bar and restaurant was good, got great service. I would love to return to this hotel again and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: ask for interlinking rooms for families, loads of space plus black out curtains which means kids wil...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear Tubrity,

Thank you for your lovely comments on your stay with us here at The Millrace Hotel. I have passed them onto the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to The Millrace Hotel in the near future!!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Me and my husband stayed in the Millrace in January, Hotel had no atmosphere what's so ever, the room was plain and the tv was round the corner from the bed where table and chairs were as we upgraded to a luxary suite room. I personally prefer TV in front of the bed where i can relax and watch TV from my bed. The TV did not work and as there was a loose cable at the back so was hit and miss. The bed was so uncomfortable we both woke up with sore backs. The bar was teriible no atmosphere with table and chairs and the breakfast was very bland I had a fry and there was not much flavour off it.. All in all i def would not stay there again was so disappointed when I got there as it looked like a lovely hotel on their website and was our last get away before our baby comes. Its is def not a 4 star hotel more like a 2 star.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Miaread,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Millrace Hotel. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person. I would be grateful if you could email your contact details to lfagan@millracehotel.com

Liz Fagan

Travelers are raving about these Bunclody hotels

Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We recently visited the Millrace Hotel on the 14th February.On arrival we went in to the Lobby the receptionist was very helpful and showed us to our room Our room was spacious and the bed was huge.The bathroom was lovely plenty of towels.We had dinner booked for 7 30 pm and it was well worth waiting for I had the shank of lamb my partner had the steak and all the trimmings beautifully cooked by Steve. After the dinner we enjoyed the music that was on offer and relaxed with a few pints of Guinness The breakfast was delicious plenty of everything All in all we enjoyed our stay We will be back again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank C
Dear FrankC,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Millrace Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your partner enjoyed your Valentines break away.
We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Millrace Hotel in the near future!

Liz Fagan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!