“Awful!”
Review of The Millrace Hotel

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Not sure where to start with this hotel, the only good point I can make is the spa which is pretty decent. This hotel is grubby, seats in the bar and lounge were black with wear and tear, had holes in them, my room smelled of cigarette smoke, the beds were a cheap fold away type bed, the bathroom was grubby, minimal selection of shampoos etc, asked twice for more towels and never happened, the shower tap was coming out of the wall, the TV only had one channel, the walls are paper thin and I could hear people talking in the room next door. The bar food was ok, all obviously pre-cooked and re-heated though, bar staff were so drab, all looked like they hated their jobs and barely cracked a smile when talking/serving. All in all this hotel is NOT a 4 star quality and I would not recommend it ever.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank 403LMM01
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear 403LMM01,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. The Millrace Hotel has been recently taken over by a new management company and would like to discuss your comments with you in person. Could I ask you contact me on lfagan@millracehotel.com

Kind regards,
Liz Fagan,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

For Dubliners, Bunclody is a nice easy escape for a weekend or night away from the hustle and bustle of the City. The Millrace being the main place to stay in the town, is pretty much bang smack in the middle. With nice clean comfortable rooms, with en suite , TV etc. etc… and a Pool, Sauna, Steam room & Jacuzzi, not forgetting a Gym and Spa boasting all sorts of therapies. The restaurant / bistro is dull & devoid of character, and the food, while having nothing wrong with it, looks and tastes like it came from a packet or deep freeze. The bar being the same but made up in some ways by the very friendly staff. It’s certainly a hotel to keep on the quick escape list. There are plenty of nice walks in the area, and would make a great bas for anyone thinking of walking Mount Leinster and the surrounding hills and mountains.

Room Tip: Adoid Rooms to the back of the hotel over the Pool ... the Pumps kick in at 8AM
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing, food is gorgeous in the bistro bar whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner. Drink prices are good & staff are very friendly & welcoming. Only negative is the hotel room - we have a connecting room so we could hear the people (who we didn't know) next door & it was a bit small & basic but the bed was very comfortable. Would defo come back!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoganWT
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here for New years,there was a big family group of us.First of all i have to say the staff were very friendly!
New years eve itself was fine,there was a seperate function room for guests with a DJ but i think when the main bar closed any customers left just came into the room! We ate in the bar both nights,didnt have any issues with the food and while the serving staff are lovely,the service itself was very slow,and we had to ask for our orders to be taken on the 2nd night and breakfast was very slow and seemed to be all over the placce.Our main problem in the hotel was on the 2nd night...the bar ran out of a lot of beers, Guinness,Bulmers,Busweiser,Heineken and Smithwicks,some of our party went to bed early because of this,and then the bar man brought in a box of Bulmers which was gone in minutes by another large group that were there,(i think at one stage they actually went to an off licence&brought in their own drink)The guinness was back on at 11.45pm,but anyone who drank guinness was drinking lager by then and couldnt go back to drinking it!
The spa was lovely,i had a massage there,but the leisure centre wasn't great,the pool was apparently 1 degree colder than normal...eh i doubt it,more like 10.. i had goosebumps in the pool and could only last 20 mins the jacuzzi was warmer but it wasnt working on 2nd day,the staff apologised for this,apparently it was a "tripped switch" during the night!Doubt i would return to this hotel anytime soon!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Niamh W
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I booked a room here to celebrate an anniversary, we actually live fairly near but we wanted to escape the kids for a night and have a nice meal and some peace and quiet after the rush of Christmas but didn't have the time or funds to go far. But I'm delighted because it was simply perfect. We got a fantastic rate of €120 for B&B and a 3 course dinner included, which was a good €100 cheaper than other local hotels. The room was lovely; spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Also the room was a nice temperature, not too warm or cold and we had a heater in the room should we need it.
We ate in the bar, as unfortunately the rooftop restaurant was closed, and although the atmosphere was a little dull, (but no surprise the first week in January !) you couldn't fault the food or service. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. The set menu was really good with a nice selection. We had breakfast in bed and a late checkout too. Also a really sweet touch was the happy anniversary card left on our bed when we checked in.I had mentioned it briefly when I made the booking and I thought it was so kind. My only tiny complaint was the rather flat pillows on the bed, but I'm sure if I hadn't been so lazy and called reception they would have sent more up ! Overall this hotel is absolutely fantastic and I look forward to returning for a longer break and hopefully trying out the spa, which I've heard great things.

Room Tip: One word of warning for smokers, every room is a non smoking one and they have no designated smoking...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed there with some friends, for evening meal and Bed and breakfast Rooms were excellent and good sleep, the food in the roof top restaurant was not to our taste , adequate but didnt cater for Irish tastes.50-50 , I doubt if I would eat there again

Room Tip: watch out for local party goers can be a bit noisy ask reception for quiet room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Lovely Staff working here. They really are a credit to the hotel. Entertainment at night really good in the bar. Spa area lovely,Just not big enough. I got the package for 49.00. Well worth it. Rooms are dated, old but clean. Restaurant on roof top was closed so that was a shame! Would have been nice to know before we booked. Food was ok the first night so we ate out the second. I think this is a 3 star hotel, I wouldn't say 4 star. But all in all we enjoyed it, but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Treacy's Hotel
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre
Woodford Dolmen Hotel

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!