“A lovely chilled out Winter break”
Review of The Millrace Hotel

The Millrace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bunclody
Newry, Northern Ireland
“A lovely chilled out Winter break”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We (a family of 2 adults and 3 children) stayed in a family room ( 2 adjoining rooms) while visiting friends. It was a lovely hotel with friendly staff and was very clean and comfortable. breakfast was very nice and the pool area was pleasant. Ample parking and very easily accessed from Dublin. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MsManda
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear MsManda,

I have passed on your lovely comments to all the team and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Millrace Hotel again in the near future.

Liz Fagan,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I brought my two kids to the Millrace Hotel for an overnight stay on New Years Day, 2013. It was a wonderful experience and a huge treat for the kids. Cathy on Reception was very helpful and gave advice about nearby walks for the kids, and we had a lovely time playing in the pool in the Leisure Centre. The room was perfect, and everything was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the 4th floor restaurant was lovely too. I would recommend it as a very nice place to stay in a lovely part of Ireland.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor which was very handy for the Leisure Centre. It was a little noisy b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear SRNichols

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Millrace Hotel in the picturesque town of Bunclody. I have passed your lovely comments of our hotel to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Millrace Hotel, Leisure Club & Spa again soon.

Offaly
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after Christmas, but only made one as cancelled second night after first.

Few things

1) non smoking room reeked of smoke
2) the noise in the hotel late on was shocking, who wants to move rooms at 1am?
3) food was good for bar food
4) worst of all - unsavoury guests were in for the night who were raucous and completely worst of all they urinated a lot in the lift
5) no apology from management

To summarise - looks good, poorly managed

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank OffalyPk1973
Dear OfflyPk1973

Thank you for your recent review. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and had to cut your break short. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person. I would be grateful if you could email me your contact details to lfagan@millracehotel.com.

Liz Fagan

Travelers are raving about these Bunclody hotels

dublin
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is far from four star. We are just back from 3 night stay and I won't be returning. The only good thing I have to say was the staff were lovely. On arriving to our room it smelled of stale smoke, the window sill needs a lick of paint, the shower needs replacing mildew on the celing in bathroom, shower curtain pole rusty, there was also mildew on the celing along the corridor on the second floor. We ate in the lady Lucy restaurant while the food was lovely the service was crap we had to ask for someone to take our plates away, we ordered a bootle of wine and they had no wine cooler for it. We ate in the bistro also and had to send our starter back the soup was freezing, we ordered a bottle of wine again we were told they had no wine cooler available when we got it it was warmer then the soup when I mentioned it was not that cold the waitress said she'd stick it in the fridge for a while. I wonder if board failte has gone and stayed in this hotel because it is no ways four star hotel

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Aislinn B
Liz F, General Manager at The Millrace Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Mrsjessop

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed by your comments on the issues you encounter during your stay. I would like to discuss your stay with you if I could ask you to contact me on lfagan@millracehotel.com with your details and a suitable time that I may contact you.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Absolutely shocking. Booked in on a Saturday night with two young children. They finally dropped off to sleep at 12am,but I lay awake on the camp bed and listened to the doff doff music from across the road. Thought to myself, yep Saturday night, people having a good time, fine with that. So by 3am relieved to hear music stop. Would be happy with 4 hours sleep. But camp bed collapsed, and I moved the mattress to the floor. Unbelievably the noise did not stop, people poured out onto the streets and continued with their partying, many came into the hotel and were yelling and screaming up the hallway, banging on doors along their way. The smoke alarm went off over 7 times. I was wrecked!!! Finally peace came at 5:30 - I woke the children at 7, packed up and left. I'm no prude to a good time, but management need to learn how to control their guests, and guests need to learn a basic skill called respect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bridget C
Dear Bridget C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very concerned regarding your comments as these are not regular issues we would encounter in our Hotel. I would like to discuss with you in person. Could I ask you contact me on lfagan@millracehotel.com

Liz Fagan,
Rush, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Just back from a three day break in the millrace hotel, i had checked reviews on trip advisor and was worried as there seemed to be quite a few bad reviews....

We stayed in the apartments as we were travelling with our three children, i cannot recomment them highly enough, plenty of space with two bathrooms and a sitting area. Ok there is wear and tear in the units but not to the degree suggested by previous comments......

The kids club is fab, out of this world thanks to the staff.... kids collected from your room at 9.15 for breakfast train until 12 and again in the evening programme from 5-10... put it this way there were kids crying today when told that they were going home today and would not be able to go again this evening! Whilst collecting the children I had conversations with other parents and again they report the same, they could not believe that their children skipped happily in each day into the kids club! a total delight!

We ate in the bistro, whilst the food was good, I personally felt it was over priced slightly for what it was, and not a huge selection of options which you would expect in a bistro (a soup sandwich combo or perhaps a light bites section)

We ate in lady lucys resturant and in this case the food was out of this world! beautiful! would really really recommend.

Whilst the kids were in the kids club I made the most of this and went to the danu spa, which was again fab, the staff were brilliant and the fact that it was busy but yet you were in no way rushed made you relax totally...

Of course we hit the pool with the kids making the most of it! nice pool with large changing area.

I felt I needed to give as honest a review as possible as this is a great find for those travelling with kids, the apartments give you the best of both words, plenty of space with all the facilities of the hotel at your doorstep... whilst bunclody is not the biggest of towns its lovely for walking in and with nearby rathwood and other parks there are plenty to do in this area!

Room Tip: If travelling with kids go for the apt option, you have a full fridge so can store kids snacks.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Fionnuala R,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at The Millrace Hotel. I am delighted you and your family had the opportunity to use the many facilities in our Hotel that we have to offer during your Family Break. Our Kids Club runs during Midterm Breaks and School Holidays.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Millrace Hotel again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We took a trip to the Millrace in July for a 2night stay with B&B and dinner on one night. We chose hotel as it was good value for money and only about a 2hour drive. Receptionist was very helpful when checking in, very chatty and welcoming. When we got to our room it was ok, a little dated the bed was sunken in the centre without even sitting on it and there was an adjoining door to another bedroom which was obviously locked but which was not sound proofed. We sat for a few minutes and decide we would ask to be moved rooms so rang reception. The girl on reception said she would need a few minutes to see if there was another room. Within 10mins she called back and said a member of staff was on the way to help us move. We were moved to another room with complimentary bottle of wine to apologise for having to move rooms. This was the only possible complaint but the hotel were very quick to rectify.
We ate in the bar and also in the restaurant. They had great bar food and the restaurant food was extremely delicious. They concentrate on using locally sourced seasonal produce and the freshness and quality of food is evident.
We also booked in for spa treatments which were incredible. My boyfriend has been converted to facials and massages!!!!
All in all this is a great little hotel in a quiet little town. The rooms could do with some updating but the food, facilities and especially the staff make this place definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MiochelleL,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Millrace Hotel. I have passed on your lovely comments to the team here in the Hotel. I appreciate your feedback regarding our bedrooms and as a result we are currently in the process of refurbishing our bedrooms that are in need of some updating.
We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Millrace Hotel in future.

Liz Fagan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bunclody
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
#1 of 1 in Ferrycarrig
Clayton Whites Hotel
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford

Been to The Millrace Hotel? Share your experiences!