Our night here came at the end of our trip to Northumbria. On the way up we stayed at the fantastically sited Ashington branch. The room here in Mansfield was up to the usual high standard for Premier Inns in terms of cleanliness and we were pleased to find the furnishings
from the older set ups. Re-furbished Premier Inns now have less and less space beside the beds and shelving to store / put things on which are important for a longer visit.
Staff as usual couldn't be better as they were helpful, friendly and cheerful despite the dreadful humid weather we have been having of late which wasn't the case further north. Therefore well done to the staff for coping with these conditions and still maintaining their standards and cheerfulness.
It looked as if landscaping on this site may be on the agenda at the back at some point which would be nicer. What let this Premier Inn down we felt was the catering. Whereas most Premier Inns in terms of rooms are identical, the restaurant which was one of a chain we had visited recently was not. Although the main menu was available, there was an alternative pre-cooked choice of chicken dishes as a buffet. We have seen this elsewhere but it seems to cater for quantity rather than quality. We opted for the scampi and chips but the chips seemed soggy and the scampi didn't resemble anything inside the batter. My Belgian waffle was tasteless although my husband's profiteroles were slightly better. Our Italian wine had no flavour and was insipid - not a great meal unfortunately. The restaurant was crowded and noisy but it was a Friday night and the staff were doing their best to cope. We were glad to escape to the peace of our room. Breakfast here was also a buffet service and we hope this is not a sign of things to come in a roll out across this chain. It simply becomes a production line instead of a pleasurable and relaxed stay. Wouldn't stay here again our of choice because of the food or surroundings although the room was fine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A short drive from historic Matlock and the Peak District, next door to East Midlands Designer Outlet ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Premier Inn so you can book your Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel South Normanton
- Premier Inn Mansfield Hotel Derbyshire/South Normanton, UK