“Average, gone down hill!”
Review of The Hawthorns

The Hawthorns
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 8, 2014

When i first started visiting i thought it was lovely until recently when the chefs swapped and the food is now inadequate not a place where i would now enjoy on a regular basis.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I took 13 of our family to the hawthorns on Monday 6th January for a get together. We all had a 3 course meal and it was very good the service and the staff were very good A great night '

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Went with 2 friends on Saturday 23 December 2013, we had pre-booked a few days earlier and was told only 8.00 pm was available. When we arrived there was a large party seated ready to dine. There was a carvery which we thought might be nice, but we were told this had been prepared especially for the larger party and would have to wait till they had dined first. As we thought this may be quite some time we ordered food off the menu. I ordered chicken Fajitas which indicated they came on a sizzle platter but they came on a plate. The chicken was quite nice, but the Fajitas went cold pretty quickly as they were on the side of the plate. My husband had pie and chips which was ok but a bit grissly. However by far the worst meal were the ones our two friends ordered... Lasagne. At first it looked quite nice and very hot, however when they cut into the food both looked like soggy pasta, with just a little mincemeat inside, no tomato sauce and very greasy. It was so bad they both left it. Give credit to the lady who served us she asked if the food was OK, we informed her that the Lasagne was not good at all. She said she would inform chef.... coming back to the table we were told the chef that had made the Lasagne had GONE home. That was it!!! Our friends didn't want to make a fuss so we didn't take it any further. The only recompense we had was that the homemade chips ( which incidentally had been ordered as an additional side dish) were fantastic. Best home made chips ever. Like other contributor I too wondered if Hawthorns have changed chefs because this is not the norm. We have been here quite a number of times in the past and in general have enjoyed the food but unfortunately this time around it was very disappointing. We had to apologise to our friends who had not been here before and no doubt will not go again. Come on Hawthorns , get your act together and lets have food we can enjoy once again.

1  Thank soskin
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Two for £10 meals. I had ham egg and chips and it was great. Well looked after by the friendly owners. My children loved their food. Large portions. I'm happy.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

We decided on a quick lunchtime meal deal, two main meals for £10 here on a weekday.
Although we both chose the same meat and potato which came with chips and peas, my husband's meal had obviously come from a different batch to mine as the meat and gravy were of a completely different colour, then the large pieces of meat in my dish were difficult to cut with the knife ( first clue) and pretty chewy and several pieces were gristly. Although we were asked if everything was okay and I explained my difficulties with the meat the young lady said she'd speak to the chef and did I want to have something different. As we were on a tight time scale and half of my meal was eaten by then, I said no, but my enjoyment of this particular dish was marred by what appeared to be meat that hadn't been cooked for long enough. Shame as I hadn't eaten in this place for years and I probably won't try it again for a good few again. My husband enjoyed his meal though.