“It Can't get worse”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Stuck on M1 motorway junction,Spa and swimming pool to small for amount of rooms, foru light bulbs in room inoperative, only had basic 5 channels on TV although more were advertised free, double glazing units seals no use could not see out, drinks fridge nearly clean, housekeeping staff unable to understand basic English(asked for coffee offered a towel), reception staff , a basic smile would help, never mind the rolling eyes to the sky and I only said "hello", 4 star hotel, please tell were is the lounge, no not the bar area were bussiness meetings are being held somewhwere to sit and relax and not in your room, enough said i'll leave it up to you, is it worth even trying as the hotel does not.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2009

happytravelsWirral

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

May I apologise for the challenges you experienced during your stay. From the points raised in your feedback I see that we failed to meet your expectations of a Principal-Hayley Hotel. I can understand the disappointment you must have felt.

We have been very busy over the month of August; our pool does get a little overcrowded at peak times.

We are at present reviewing our TV channels and hope to have a new package installed shortly

It certainly is not acceptable for my staff to roll their eyes at our guests. Thank you for bringing this to my attention

Many of our Leisure guests do use the Lounge Bar for relaxing and we usually only receive positive comments I am sorry you could not relax. We cater for all types of guests in our Lounge Bar which I hope you can appreciate is good for business

We always openly welcome constructive feedback from our guests regarding their experience of our hotels as we find it to be an invaluable tool for catering for our guest expectations and continually improving our standards of product and service.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Derbyshire, when we hope to make amends for your previous disappointment.

There are newer reviews for The Derbyshire Derby

Reviewed August 24, 2009

Ideal location for Midlands and Derbyshire. I stayed here on business and found the staff very attentive and welcoming. Lovely hotel would definately recommend.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
H0telGeneralManager, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2009

Al_robo

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

It was pleasing to read you enjoyed our Hotel for your business trip, and that you found my staff attentive and welcoming

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Derbyshire sometime in the very near future

Reviewed August 24, 2009

The hotel room was dirty on arrival, requests for staff to replenish toilet roll etc were ignored. Long queues to check in and out, poor customer service. Very disappointing.

1  Thank star005

Star005

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

I am sorry you received poor customer service and your stay was disappointing. We have been very busy over the month of August, although this should not reflect poor customer service

It is not acceptable for any of my guests to be given a dirty room on their arrival or have to ask for basic amenities to be replenished. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I do understand improvements need to be made to our business, I am working closely with my Team to rectify the issues you mention.

Reviewed August 18, 2009

My sisters, mother and I were booked in for a 2 night leisure break over weekend 15th August. When we arrive we had to wait some time to book in - only to be told that the three rooms we had booked and paid for in full some months ago were not available. We were advised the booking info had not been passed on from Superbreaks, who we had booked with. As I had paid the correct tarriff for three rooms, I could not understand what more information they needed. When I refused to allow my 72 year old mother to sleep on a sofa bed in one of the rooms - they took 2 hours to find another room.

We were also in the 40 minute wait for a table at breakfast the next morning. The restaurant was not full by any means, but there was insufficient staff to clean/clear tables.

There wasn't sufficient towels in the room - and this was not rectified even when a note was left on the one!!! towel for the cleaners.

The Hotel facilities and location were quite good - but Management was absolutely woeful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Whicksters

Whicksters

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

It certainly is not acceptable for your 72 year old mother to sleep on a sofa bed, I am pleased my staff eventually allocated you another room.

The Hotel was extremely busy during your weekend stay I am sorry you could not get a table for 40 minutes at breakfast; we have since opened our second restaurant to ensure we do not have any guests waiting for tables

Reviewed August 18, 2009

Stayed as part of deal DB&B, never again, like other reviewers avoid, avoid and avoid
This hotel needs the hotel inspector to help lick it into shape
Reasons to avoid!!
Staff unprofessional - lack any customer service skills, mostly young and couldn't care less attitude
Check in, very poor, not offered newspapers or any extras, took a lifetime to check in
Dining room, like a school canteen, dreadful menu, eg 4 star hotel, serves chicken and french fries, no other meat offered, and it didn't change in the 3 days we were there.
Housekeeping, room not up to scratch, needs a good deep clean, dirty shower curtain,
Bed that has seen better days
No attention to detail
Drinks over priced
Hotel overstretched due to weddings
Poor hygienne
Carpets need replacing
Needs an upgrade and update
IT IS NOT 4 STAR, 2 STAR AT THE MOST, AND THATS BEING GENEROUS

Take my advice and find somewhere else.................they would rather have weddings and conferences not the weekend break or holiday type of person

1  Thank Brierdene

Nightnurse 33

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

We have been very busy over the month of August; this should not affect the level of service we offer to all our guests.

I am currently working with the Chef to produce new menus which we hope to launch shortly, with a variety of dishes and prices to cater for all our guest needs.

Reviewed August 17, 2009

I have stayed in other hotels in the Principal Hayley chain before (Palace-Manchester and Royal York) and had a lovely stay.
This hotel, however, puts me off the entire chain. It does not deserve 4* even though it might have in the 1980's!!
I don't want to rant on as I've already told the hotel what I think but just to summarise:
*Joanne/a on reception was very pleasant and helpful but the other girl was unprofessional when we first arrived (in the morning she was much more helpful)
*Couldn't get a dinner reservation until 9:30pm, and were ignored by waitresses
*Room was boiling but couldn't open window due to M1 traffic noise (no air-con)
*View of M1, noisy BBQ and bouncy castle
*Screaming Kids outside room early Sat morning
*Had to wait for 15 minutes for breakfast due to lack of clean tables
*Woke up with a weird insect bite which is now all swollen and red and itchy..
I would never ever stay here again! We had driven down for a romantic weekend and checked out 1 night early to go home.
I have stayed at 3* hotels that would wipe the floor with this place! Principal Hayley should improve or get rid of this - it lets the brand down.

2  Thank neonpinkish
Reviewed August 17, 2009

This is a nice hotel but is disgracefully mismanaged. Room was incrdibly hot with no respite using the non working air conditioning. When calling the hotel by phone the call remained unanswered for more than 30 minutes. Guests were kept waiting just to get a table for breakfast for more than an hour. The hotel knows how many guests it has booked and makes no attempt to accomodate the numbers for breakfast. staff confirmed that this happens all the time. A total disregard and lack of care about their customers as all they needed to do was split breakfast into time slots allowing only a set number of people per time slot. Instead they simply allowed people to congregate in their bar area waiting for a table to become available. Having stayed in all kinds of hotels in many many countries and the UK this was the first time I have experienced such disregard and lack of service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank sadcjp

Sadcjp

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor

Not all our rooms have air conditioning, unfortunately the ones without do become very hot in the summer months, plans are underway to ensure all rooms have air conditioning installed

We did have some challenges with our phone systems making it difficult for guests to call the Hotel, essential works were being carried out to upgrade the system

We have recently introduced a new customer care initiative for all our staff to undertake to ensure all our guests receive the most professional care at all times

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Travelodge Alfreton
Travelodge Alfreton
#1 of 1 in Alfreton

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!