“Very Pleased”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very Pleased”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My partner and I stayed here on June 28th during a visit to nearby Matlock Bath. Although we were originally disappointed to find the hotel was 13miles away from Matlock (and right by the motorway), instead of the 6 miles quoted online, we were very impressed with the hotel itself. On arrival the staff were helpful and pleasant and the room was neat and tidy. After originally intending to pop to Matlock to a pub for dinner, we decided to dine in the hotel restaurant and were very impressed. The menu was varied, the food was lovely and the service was great. We could not believe the high standard and quality of the restaurant.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to others and if we ever go to the area again, we would be happy to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

1 Thank SWill90
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments.

We are delighted to hear you had a good stay and enjoyed our Tempus Restaurant Menu. We hope to welcome you back again soon so you can see some other Peak District villages.

The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Skawina, Poland
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Large room but furniture outdated, comfortable bed and given the location near main roads surprisingly quiet. The only two real downsides was the fact that the restaurant for breakfast is really too small to cope and the food for conference participants was nothing special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

We are very looking that even with our easy access location near the J28 of M1 and the A38 we get little noise plus we have an edge of the beautiful peak district. We are currently reviewing our conference food offering and thank you for your feedback.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Stayed this weekend for two nights and paid £130. The price was discounted I think as the leisure facilities are out of action! I think what we paid was fair as in my opinion it is no better than a premiere inn, in fact I've stayed at better premiere inns! There is one NXT door as it happens!! The hotel has the feel of needing a little tlc! Although nothing to really complain about I would have been very disappointed if I had paid the normal room rate!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for the comments. We have a range of packages on offer at all times; please see The Derbyshire Hotel website and Principal Hayley Hotels website. We have rolling programme of redecoration.

northampton
Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband and I have visited The Derbyshire on 7 occasions. Each visit has been great. We always feel comfortable in this hotel and lots to see in surrounding areas a good base.
Rooms are a bit dated but always clean. Bar area is nice to sit relax and have a nightcap.
Spa is good, steam room is great , pool a good size.
Breakfast is fantastic, so much variety and topped up regular, staff very helpful and friendly.

Only downside this visit was children in the swimming pool , took over most of the pool and we did not go in until after 7.15pm we were only in pool 5 mins got out .Should really be a cut off time for children.

2 Thank jujuhall
It was a pleasure to see you again. Thank you for your review and for suggestion. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I joined friends for a Groupon Spa day at the Derbyshire recently. I thought the idea of groupon was to encourage good feedback and recommendations, somethimg I would not do for this spa day experience.
On arrival we were told we could not book additional treatments as they were full, ( we telephoned two weeks prior to book extra treatments and were told to just book on the day!).
The swimming pool was available to use but the whirlpool jacuzzi was broken due to a boiler breaking down!
Lunch was provided - we were supposed to eat in a relaxation room but were told that as there were 5 of us there would not be enough room! The room had 5 seats.
Instead we were told not to worry we will put you privately in a conference room. This room was set out for business meetings with flip charts and note pads. Hardly a relaxing experience on a spa day to be reminded of work!
They had only preperaed 4 lunches so one of our party had to wait 20 mimutes for her lunch. No refreshments were offered. We had to ask for a jug of water.
Back to the pool after lunch and treatments for a lie down. ( the treatments werer lovely).
On departure we experienced freezing cold showers as the boiler of course was broken.
The staff were very polite throughout the day however the point of the spa being to relax was taken away by lack of working facilities and a corporate lunch. I wouldnt be recommending a spa day here to anyone. I believe the spa was to be refurbished the following week however as a paying customer I would still expect the same adequate facilities that I would hope would be provided after the refurb.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank JARY2014
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry some aspects of your spa day did not live up to your expectation. We will use all your comments to ensure we enhance our service wherever possible. As you said we have this week finished some light refurbishment work in the leisure club including a new Jacuzzi and Sauna. We are really pleased you enjoyed the main treatments so much though.

Travelers are raving about these South Normanton hotels

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed there on Friday and Saturday evening in June and thought it was pleasant and good value. We checked in on the afternoon and the receptionist was very efficient and polite. The room and bathroom was clean and the shower worked well. I noted someone's comments re old fashioned TV which was very true and was somewhat surprised they had not been updated.
We did not use the restaurant so cannot comment but used the Brewers Fayre across the road which was very good (see separate review).
The beds were comfortable and our room was quiet even though there was a wedding party.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the cooked food was hot.
I used the gym which was relatively small but all of the equipment worked well and the air conditioning worked well.
There is not much around the hotel but it is convenient for the popular Derbyshire tourist spots
We would certainly use it again and parking is not an issue

Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you had a good stay, we are very lucky with our location near the Peak District.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

The brochure pictures probably raised my expectations of the hotel so I'm a little disappointed. The staff are very friendly & helpful, it is very clean with decent facilities in the gym & pool. The room is clean & reasonable size. So why am I dissapointed? Some might think some of my comments petty but still here they are. The TV is an old cathode ray bulbous monstrosity with poor snowy picture, only 5 channels & no TV guide. A wet towel which I had used 4 times & left on the floor for the laundry had been folded up & put on the bath side, toilet roll not replaced. I'm staying on the lower level near the spa & it's hot, the corridors are a bit gloomy too, it needs sprucing up.
I noticed other comments on TripAdvisor about ample parking my experience is different the last 2 nights it's been packed with cars abandoned everywhere & parked on double yellow lines.
I would still return just a little disappointed, I feel slightly guilty using there free WiFi to write & post this

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 1302andy
Joel F, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Andy

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you feel the hotel does not match all the pictures, this not our aim. We do have a rolling programme of refurbishment ongoing at all times, having recently done the Lounge and Reception area. I will review your comments with the Housekeeping Manager too.

We are pleased the team looked after your well though.

Kind regards
Eastwood Hall
Eastwood Hall
#1 of 1 in Eastwood
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!