“Relaxing, Welcoming and Excellent”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, Welcoming and Excellent”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My boyfriend and I went to the Derbyshire hotel as a I will be leaving the UK for 5 weeks, and this was to be our last weekend together for a while. On making the reservation, I work in a hotel myself and know how hard and stressful this can sometimes, be. The reservation team were excellent, a lady called Enid took my reservation, and she could not have done more to make me feel welcome and appreciated for making the booking. So I hope she gets recognition for that! Upon check-in we were kept waiting for a 10-15 minutes, but again we didn't mind as the atmosphere was relaxing and warm and friendly, we were greeted by all members of staff and were asked if we had been seen by a receptionist as they didn't want to keep us waiting! Recognition of a guest goes a long way, and to be kept in the loop and acknowledged by every member of staff just passing through reception was lovely. We checked in, and our room was beautiful, I was expecting a horrid, view but for the location of the hotel it was great! The bathroom was lovely and clean and bright! And there was always hot water which is sometimes hard to find! When we went later that evening to use the leisure facilities, and unfortunately the only thing to let that down was the receptionist on the desk who wasn't bothered to explain how to use them and where to go! We didn't mind that the sauna was broken, as we hadn't on planned to use it, but it was good that they had information signs for guests. The pool was a lovely temperature to relax into and the Jacuzzi was gorgeous. The lights inside the pool against the darkness of the cold winters night looked beautiful, and it made me even more relaxed! We were on a DBB package, and when you pay less, you expect minimal, in this case it was more than satisfactory I was stuffed! The food was scrumptious and each waiter who was on shift was delightful, I am unaware of the gentlemen's name that served us but he did his job perfectly and we were made to feel like nothing was a problem. We did order breakfast but some how our breakfast card had gone missing but the reception staff were very helpful and quickly got our breakfast to us, and as it was an hour late we needed a late check-out, and we were not charged for this! I thought that was a lovely way to say sorry and we will definitely be back as it is not to far away for us, but far enough to get away! Fully recommend it, and ask to stay on the floor, one flight of stairs down as it is on the same floor as the leisure centre. It is JUST off Junction 28, and there is a really good Designer Outlet off the same roundabout! It was also acroiss the road from a brewers fayre, so if you need a break from the hotel just for a drink, it was nice to have that option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the same level as the leisure centre!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Harriette R
Angela H, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your five star review, I am really pleased you had such a relaxing time, the staff do like to extend a warm Derbyshire welcome to all our guests. I am only sorry this was not the case at the Leisure Reception, I will certainly speak to the Leisure Manager to ensure she completes corrective training with her team.

I do hope you visit us again in the near future and hope you have a successful trip away

Angela Hardy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
West Yorkshire
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

2nd visit to this Hotel in the last month for pure relaxation purposes.Cannot fault anything,we have been allocated 2 lovely rooms have paid extra on both occasions for an upgrade but the 2nd room was definitely a cut above.Evening meal was delicious, wine lovely breakfast delicious, staff amazing this Hotel should be very proud of their staff especially Mark Fairweather on Reception he is so professional and caring for me first impressions are very important and he goes the extra mile.

Will be back to stay here most definitely again very soon can't wait.

Very kind regards

Katherine Teal.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Angela H, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, I am pleased everything was fabulous, the staff especially Mark will be most pleased with your comments. I do hope you visit us again soon making a third visit !

wigston
Reviewed January 2, 2014

this hotel is well worth the money , the food is really nice , we had a really fresh well thought about dinner on the set menu , if you are looking for a massive plate of buffet though you can head over the road ..but try the food here its really delish , the beds are comfy , our room the t.v was a little old but we didn't need to watch it as we where in the spa ect all weekend , for the money it is very good value .

we are back this weekend for a shop a few drinks and a dip in the pool.

Room Tip: hopefully leaving a good review the manager may read this and up grade me :) wink :)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Angela H, Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for our great review should we have seen your review earlier I think an upgrade would have been possible ! I am glad you found the Derbyshire Hotel to be good value and you enjoyed the delicious food Chef will be pleased to read your comments.
Hope to see you again soon

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed on a quiet Sunday night. Room was reasonably big with good ensuite bathroom. TV was a bit on the old side and not many channels. Bed was comfortable. Good wardrobe. Used the gym and swimming pool facilities, these are very good and well worth using.

Had an evening meal included in our stay - although the resturant was very quiet, the food wasn't all that great. We did enjoy the house wine, but were officially unable to buy a bottle, and then the staff offered to sell us one for £22! Breakfast was very good however, though served very early.

In summary this is a reasonable hotel but eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Downstairs close to the gym is good.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am glad you made use of our lovely leisure facilities, and you found your bedroom and bathroom to be pleasant. I am surprised to hear your evening meal was not up to our usual standard. House wine is avalable to purchase and we do have varying offers availble such as buy 2 glasses of wine and get the rest of the bottle free, I will address your comments with the Food & Beverage Manager.regarding the wine.
I do hope you visit us soon and do try our Restaurant again when we hope to show you the true standard of our food offering

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed for one night after a Business Dinner. This was promptly served and was hot. The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and efficient. The dance floor did seem to have seen better days.The breakfast had a wide variety of items available but unfortunately when we arrived at the self-servery the Fried Potatoes, the Fried Bread and also the Bacon had all run out and we had to queue for replacements to be brought from the kitchen which spoilt what would have been an excellent stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennisgee2610
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your review, I am really sorry our breakfast experience let what otherwise would have been an excellent stay at the Derbyshire Hotel down. We usually receive many positive comments about our breakfast offering, I am sure Chef will have already addressed the issue with the breakfast Chef after reading your comment. I do hope you visit us again and breakfast will be to the standard we are accustomed for.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

we had our first business christmas function at the derbyshire this year, the staff were very helpful and kept me informed at all times, the reception staff were very helpful and friendly on our arrival, the event its self was good the food was served hot an arrived on hot plates which is always a bonus,maybe a little more choice would be good but they were very accomodating with all the dierty requirements that were needed, the dance floor was a little tatty and needs repacing, the music was good range of old and new.
yes the carpets through out and could do with updating and a lick of paint, to say its so near the M1 and A38 there was no traffic noise ive stayed in hotels near main roads in the past with lots of road noise.
think we will be looking at it for next year everyone in our party had no complaints.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, I am glad you had an enjoyable Christmas Party, we received great feedback for Christmas 2013 from the food to the disco to the bedrooms from many of our christmas guests. We do have a new dance floor which unfortuantely did arrive a little too late ! Our in house maintenance team are on their way round brightening up certain areas around the hotel. I do hope you consider The Derbyshire Hotel this year for your party.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

I hated this hotel with a passion!
It is vile!
Your in the middle of a service station!
Your are just off the motor way and can hear cars 24/7
The rooms are horrifically dated and dingey!
The hotel is very average!
The food is OK!
The breakfast isn't up to much!
The location is rubbish!
The bathrooms were discusting with mold and scum in,
The leisure facilities are not up to much!
Overall this is a conference hotel for meeting nothing else!
I hated my stay here and would never in a millions years consider going back!

• Stayed December 2013

Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel
Travelodge Mansfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sutton in Ashfield

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!