“Thank you for making my husbands birthday a real treat”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
romford
“Thank you for making my husbands birthday a real treat”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I really cant understand how people have slated this hotel and it's staff, they must be so hard to please!!! I booked this deal through Travelzoo and it was excellent value for money. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful. I arranged for a bottle of champagne to be in our room on arrival and as an extra nice touch the hotel gave him a card too. The room was really comfortable, clean and a nice size. The food was delicous and the service was very good too. Definately would come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Nicky C,

Thankyou for your recent review
I hope your husband had a great birthday and that you both enjoyed your stay.
I am glad that you found the service very good and the food to be delicous.
We would be most pleased to welcome you back to The Derbyshire in the future.

Glynn Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My partner and I have just spent 2 nights at this hotel on a special offer with Travelzoo. The offer included bed, breakfast and evening meal. It also included packed lunch and free entrance to Chatsworth House which was the main reason for taking up the offer.

The hotel was extremely comfortable and the service excellent. We were made very welcome and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The packed lunch was also excellent and probably the best I have ever received from a hotel.

We would certainly use this hotel again as there is so much to see in the area and it is very conveniently placed alongside the M1.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Eileenthatway,

Thankyou for your review after your recent stay.
Its most pleasing that you feel you were made welcome and that you found the staff friendly and helpful.
I am glad you found your packed lunch to exceed expectations and I hope you enjoyed your day out to Chatsworth House.
We look forward to you returning to the hotel in the near future.
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A basic but clean friendly and value for money hotel. Location is ideal just off M1 if you are looking to break up a long journey. Gym is basic but ok for use and small pool although I did not use it looked inviting. The restaurant was fine and the breakfast good for the value. Only slight point is over road from hotel you can get a pint and glass of wine at the pub for circa £8 at the hotel the same round will set you back around £15. You expect to pay more at hotels for drinks, it would be better business I would think to reduce the drinks charges and encourage more people to stay in the hotel bar.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Simpson123,
Thankyou for your review after your stay.
I am pleased that you found the hotel clean and friendly and that you found breakfast to good value.
We do review our bar prices on a regular basis and they are competitive to other full service hotels in the local area.
Faringdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Have just returned from 4 night break at this hotel, with a coach party. From the moment we arrived everything worked well. Reception was ready, keys ready, help with luggage ready. Few minor problems immediately dealt with. Large hotel with much corporate business as well as individuals and us. We were given a separate dining room, with a menu of good choice and food of excellent quality. After dinner we then were able to continue using the room for card games, quizzing etc. thus enabled us to enjoy our entertainment and also did not disturb other guests. Staff were around at all times if we wanted anything. Rooms comfortable, bathrooms efficient, beds good etc.
If I was to look for any negativity it was ONLY the price of alcohol in the bar. We may have drunk more if the prices were more sensible.
So I would recommend this hotel and it's very helpful, happy and friendly staff. Thank you

Room Tip: No lift, and lots of corridors so choose with your fitness in mind! I used my mobility scooter, my r...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sylvia B
Dear Sylvia B,

Thank you for your recent review.
I am glad that you found your recent trip to The Derbyshire to expectation and you found the food good choice and excellent quiality. Its nice to see that you used your private dining room for enjoying some after dinner entertainment.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were looking for a weekend deal not too far from Manchester and found a very good dinner bed and breakfast (and free bottle of wine) offer at the Derbyshire Hotel. It was near some historic houses and castles we wanted to visit so we went for it.

From the moment we checked in, we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient. Over our stay we probably had dealings with a dozen reception and dining room staff. Without exception they displayed the same customer service ethic. A couple of times at the buffet breakfast I stood for a moment trying to work out where something was. Both times, members of staff, despite being busy, stopped to help me without me asking.

For the first time in a very long time, we found a hotel which lived up to its green towel policy by not giving us fresh towels when we left them on the rack. The bins for recycling plastic and glass bottles in the corridors were also an unusual green feature.

The food at breakfast and dinner was very good and the room was comfortable and quiet despite being within sight of the M1.

Altogether very good value with some of the best customer service we have seen in a hotel .

• Stayed September 2013
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Mawskin,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay.
I am very pleased that you found the staff polite and friendly, it is nice to hear that you experienced the customer service ethic that should be expected in hotels.
We do have an active green policy and was recently awarded a Silver award from Green Tourism for this.
We do hope you visit us again.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed for one night as my partner and I were attending a friends wedding.

Check-in from a young lad was fine although very time consuming, he had a guests prior to me and overall I was there for 20 minutes before we could collect our key, not his fault hes doing check-in and answersing calls, but eventualy a female member walks out the office still having a conversation with another memeber of staff looks at us queing and then walks away, very frustrating when you need to get to your room and organised.

While the rates were competative and location perfect for us as we were at another venue for teh wedding the downside were the rooms are slightley dated with older decor, an aged TV and air con in the room was a fan...good job it was cooler than the weather has been as we would have been roasting and no way we coud open the window when we faced the motorway.

The hotel was fine for resting our heads for the evening but I paid on check in an additional £10pp for breakfast and wish that I didnt waste my money. We went to breakfast at 10am and I know that this is a peak time but we were placed in the lounge area, not in restauarnat as the lady who took us to the table (short blond hair and looked like the supervisor) asked the young lad not to reset any more tables, I counted at least 5 tables that could have been cleared to allow us to feel part of breakfast especially as other guests staying were friends who had also attending the wedding.

On taking us to our table she said we can help oursleves, always good to have a buffet breakfast and a standard nowadays, on taking us to our seat she informed us somone would be over to take our tea & coffee order, why did she not ask us what we wanted? Anyway we headed to the hot plate and had to wait while they replensished the food, this I do not mind as its fresh and hot?! After my selection I then had to head back out through the restauant and into the lounge to eat, still at this point I am waiting on being asked for the basic tea or coffee...so half way through my breakfast I eventually could get the attention of a young tall boy working there to order my tea, if I had not been in the lounge and part of breakfast i would have maybe got the service? As for the food, I thought great I have waited it will be piping hot but nope, it was FREEZING, and just not ediable, as for compaining well try and find the staff after sitting in the lounge out the way, we had no chance, remeber to get tea was a challenge.

Check-out was promt, the girl Clare who served me was polite, efficient and had a lovely smile, nicest part of my stay, so well done Clare!

Would I stay again, wouldnt rush possibly would think of just staying at tthe premier inn next time, not really what i expected form a PH Hotel, did not meet my expectations!

Dear NatH0583,

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay.
I am disappointed that you did not recieve our normal level of service when you had breakfast on the morning of your stay. Whilst breakfast can be busy we should have provided a much better customer journey than we did. Please accept my aplogies and I will speak to the Food and Beverage Manager to highlight your points so that this does not happen in the future.

KInd Regards
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at the Derbyshire as part of a travelzoo package . As such its great value . The room was fine ( aged tv with few channels but heigh -ho, the food was good , Breakfast was very good indeed , dinner perfectly adequate and if you have the specials not bad at all. the staff are all very helpful and charming. So if you want a base for exploring Derbyshire its great at a very decent price. What its not is a romantic hideaway for a weekend away. Don't go here if you expect anyone in the dining room ( other than me) to be wearing a jacket .The drinks are very expensive however £21 minimum for a fairly ordinary bottle of wine so take your own and drink it in your room after dinner!! One tip if you are coming from the west on the A38 don't believe your sat nav if it tells you to go North on the M1 at the A38 junction, just go straight across and the entrance is on the left straight after the junction. Sat nav thinks the post code is on the south bound slip road and only accessible from the motorway!!

Room Tip: The superior rooms are best - not great but not bad.Don't worry about any noise from the motorwa...
Dear Roystonf,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us.
I am pleased that you found the staff helpful and charming. It was good to know you recommend the specials that we put on each night in the restaurant and that you found breakfast very good.
The hotel is a good base to visit Derbyshire's many attractions.
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!