“Excellent, comfortable hote lin good location”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights at The Derbyshire this month to have a look around the Peak District and "do" Chatsworth. Maybe there are better placed hotels to do this but I doubt you will find one where the staff are so attentive, the food is superb, comfortable beds and rooms with the added bonus of a spa and swimming pool.

I booked a deal through Travelzoo and our two nights included breakfast, dinner and a free bottle of wine each night- what a bargain.

The hotel is right by Junction 28 of the M1 (but we did not experience any road noise) and is 20 miles from Chatsworth. This hotel would also be good for anybody needing an overnight stop if heading north or south. My only criticism is that for some strange reason out sat nav took us through Junction 28 to 29 and then brought us back down the south carriageway to 28. The hotel receptionist said previous guests had also reported this anomaly!

1  Thank Essexboy36
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Essexboy36,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel with our Travelzoo offer.

We are located just minutes from J28 of the M1, close to lots of great local attractions such as Chatsworth House and Gardens. I am so pleased to read that you found staff to be attentive, food to be superb as well as your bed and room to be comfortable. The team will be very happy to hear your feedback, and it's great to see that you also enjoyed our leisure facilities.

I am currently looking into reports of unusual Sat Nav routing to avoid the detour for our guests, so thank you for your comment.

I hope you choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon,

There are newer reviews for The Derbyshire Derby

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

A one night business stay after an evening meeting. It was above the line, without being good. Staff are wonderful but they work in a hotel built, I suspect in the nineties. And it needs to be woken from its tired display

Breakfast? A typical close to the motorway fried conglomerate and basic alternatives.

It was ...... OK

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Philip E,

Thank you for your review following your recent business stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is great to see you that you describe the staff as 'wonderful' - they will be most pleased to hear your kind words.

We usually reveive great feedback on the comfort of our hotel, and I am sorry that the decor was not to your taste. Similarly, our breakfasts are often described as excellent, so I am most disappointed to read that you found your food to be basic.

I hope you choose to stay with us again soon,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel a few times and found it to be very convenient to the M1 and A38 and the dining room staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. However, the reception staff can be surly and don't give you eye contact until they are ready to deal with your request. I even stood for 10 minutes waiting while the receptionist and other (behind the scenes) staff chatted without even noticing people were waiting! The rooms are a little tired to say the least and the temperature inside can be unbearably hot. The Internet access is slow and expensive. I prefer to use my 3G as it is quicker, more convenient and without the interminable default to the hotel website. I don't think we will stay there again but try the premier inn opposite which seems better value for money and where we eat in the evening anyway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear LittleMissJaberwocky,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that as a regular guest, you find the location of the hotel to be convenient to the M1 and A38 as well as finding our restaurant team to be 'exceptionally friendly and helpful'. I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to the staff.

I am most disappointed that you don't feel the same about the front desk team, as we usually receive very positive comments on how friendly and efficent they are. However I will certainly look into this to ensure that our usual high standard of customer service is upheld in every area.

Our guests normally say that our rooms are very comfortable, and so I am sorry that the rooms you have stayed in have not been to your taste. During the hot weather, the hotel also was very warm and as such we ensured fans were available for our guests.

Our internet is usually very quick, and we offer upto 30 minutes free whilst 8 hour passes can be purchased from reception.

I hope you do choose to stay at The Derbyshire again soon, and if you would liek to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel several times in recent years but last weeks stay will be my last until its been refurbished . The location is excellent being just of the motorway, and the staff are without exception very friendly and helpful but this is overshadowed by the rooms which are old and tired and definitely not reflective of a 4 star hotel. The bed rooms don't have air conditioning and the fan provided didn't do anything to alleviate the heat ( admittedly not the hotels fault) but between the heat which was oppressive and the depressing state of the room I didn't sleep. The room allocated last week was the worst hotel room I've been in for a long time with a wobbly wardrobe, faded carpet that had been laid in strips rather than in one piece and was lifting at the edges. The TV was old with poor reception and the phone didn't work. The bed and linen were clean but the overall feel in this room was shabby and slightly grubby. I'd planned to have a swim to cool off but the pool was out of commission although I was told I could use the facilities at the sister hotel about 8 miles away! . It's a shame as this hotel could be excellent but they really need to take drastic action to bring this hotel up to an acceptable standard.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Tillycass,

Thank you for posting a review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you find the location of the hotel to be excellent, and our staff to be very friendly and helpful. It is disappointing to see that you have found our comfortable bedrooms to be old and tired. We usually receive great feedback on the comfort and quality of facilities in our rooms.

Our public areas and some bedrooms have air conditioning, and I am sorry that the fan you were provided with did not help during the very hot weather. Our guests usually report a great night's sleep and so it is disappointing that you did not experience this.

I will certainly check that everything is in working order in your bedroom, and we do have plans in place to update some of our facilities very soon.

Due to essential maintenance, our pool was temporarily closed however we had made arrangements for our guests to use the facilities at Eastwood Hall closeby.

If you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me directly, and I hope you choose to stay with us again soon,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here on the 13th July for one night on a 'Special deal'. The hotel is well appointed for exploring the local area and very convenient for the motorway network. Upon arrival we had an efficient check in and were soon in our room. This was an extremely warm day and the room was very warm. We had drinks in the bar in the afternoon and the service was friendly. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and had a well cooked quality meal. The nights sleep was comfortable bearing in mind the heat, I suppose the room would have been better if it had been cooler. All in all we had a good stay with good service at a hotel in a great location.

1  Thank RAEMEL1

Dear RAEMEL1,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you found the hotel's location, just minutes from J28 of the M1 to be well appointed for exploring the local area as well as convenient for the motorway network.

It is good to see that you found check in to be efficient, as well as service to be friendly in the bar. I will pass on your lovely comments to the team. Our public areas and some of our rooms are air conditioned, however we do also have fans available for guests during the summer months.

Our Chef team will be very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Tempus Restaurant, and I am glad that you had a comfortable sleep that evening.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stay in the Derbyshire on a regular basis with work. The staff are fantastic. Always friendly and remember your name. The rooms are clean, could do with some modernisation but I believe that is on the agenda in the next couple of years. The climate controls need some attention as the rooms are usually either boiling hot or freezing cold. The pool and gym facilities are great.

Restaurant is great, lovely food, reasonably priced. There is ample parking and the hotel is very easy to find.

Overall i would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MrsT243

Dear MrsT243,

Thank you for your great feedback as a regular guest at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is very encouraging that you find staff to be 'fantastic', and always friendly. We do have a number of guests who stay with us regularly and have a great rapport with our team, so that you four your kind comments.

I'm pleased that you find our rooms to be clean, and we do have plans in the pipeline to update some our facilities in the near future. Some our our rooms have air conditioning, however fans are available also to assist with climate control. The leisure club team will be most pleased to hear you think the pool and gym are great.

The team will be very happy to hear that the restaurant food is lovely as well as reasonabley priced. We offer complimentary parking for all of our guests, and being located just minutes from J28 of the M1 makes the hotel easily accessible.

I look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I agree with previous reviews that rooms were very hot and the temperature control didn't seem to work( Room 252) but other than that we had a great stay. We chose the hotel as a base to explore the Peak District and were pleased with our choice. We were there on a Travel Zoo package on the weekend of 6th/7th July and were particularly impressed with the friendly staff and especially the staff at breakfast who were friendly, efficient and kept a very busy dining room ticking over without the guests having long waits. No problem either with traffic noise even though the M1 is just round the corner. We also enjoyed the pool area which was very welcome after a long, hot day walking the countryside. Would I go back? Yep no problem at all.

Room Tip: If it's still hot check if the temperature control works or ask for a fan.
1  Thank GaryK538

Dear GaryK538,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had a great stay at the hotel, and found our location ideal for exploring the nearby Peak District. We are just minutes from J28 of the M1, and regularly get great feedback on how peacefulthe hotel is.

Some of our rooms have air conditioning, however fans are available for our guests during the warm weather. It is also great to see that you found staff to be friendly and efficient, giving a special mention to the breakfast team. I will certainly pass your comments on to the staff who will be very happy to hear such lovely feedback.

I'm pleased that you also enjoyed the leisure club, and would return to the hotel again in the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon,

Glynn

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Travelodge Alfreton
Travelodge Alfreton
#1 of 1 in Alfreton

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!