“Planning a wedding don't hesitate to book...simply amazing!!!!”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned home from spending yesterday at the hotel for my daughters wedding reception and WOW what a fabulous event this was.
The hotel proved to be amazing. The staff were so efficient courteous, professional I could go on and on.
The bridal couple were treated like royalty. The guests were all so impressed with the whole day.
The food was superb and the amount was unbelievable ( that's coming from 2 families who enjoy their portions). The evening buffet again was so delicious.
I really cannot praise this hotel enough. The whole occasion ran like clock work from securing the date to the celebration.
Well done to all concerned you should all be proud of yourselves for being part of such a super team. Thank you :-)

• Stayed: May 2013
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear slc1,

Thank you for your fantastic review following your daughter's wedding here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased that your daughter and son-in-law chose The Derbyshire Hotel for their very special day, and that you too enjoyed the celebrations. Your feedback is very encouraging and I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team.

Our experienced event team strive to make sure that the wedding day is extra special and memorable by providing excellent and personalised service for every bride and groom, and I am very happy to see that you and your guests were impressed by how the team looked after you.

Our chef team will be very pleased to read your comments about the wedding breakfast and evening buffet; it's great to see that your families enjoyed their meals.

Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband, we wish them the best of luck for their married lives together and hope to see them again soon.

Glynn Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (1,677)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had a reason to book somewhere in this vicinity ? Very pleasant stay at this delightful hotel , with super staff.. Taxis in the area really cheap, next door to East Midlands Retail Outlet!?!?
Did not know that until breakfast!! Would not hesitate to re-book.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sheilasmith198

Dear sheilasmith198,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It's great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the team to be 'super'. We pride ourselves on providing an excellent service so your comments are very encouraging.

I hope the next time you visit us, you will have the chance to visit the East Midlands Designer Outlet which is located just a ten minute walk away from the hotel.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights over the may bank holiday weekend.
The staff were very enthusiastic, which went as far as attempting to clear plates away before the meals were finished. The dinner on the first night was not what I would have expected, with the risotto being nothing more than a pile of slop, and the chicken being rather overcooked. The breakfast was better, but I was disappointed to find that mushrooms were not available, an essential part of an English breakfast so far as I'm concerned.
The room was quite good, although along the top edge of the headboard there was a lot of dust. The tea & coffee making facility in the room was quite frugal.
Not all bad though, just these minor points.
If using google / android sat nav to find the hotel, it will send you up to M1 J29, then back down to J28. just leave at J28, as that where it is!

Room Tip: Check your room booking! I booked a double, but got a twin
1  Thank gotravelagain
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear gotravelagain,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is disappointing to see that you did not enjoy your meal with us during the first night of your stay. We ususally receive very good feedback about the quality of our Tempus meals as well as breakfast. I will be sure to look into the lack of mushrooms, I do apologise that we did not have any available for you.

It's good to see that generally you were pleased with your room, again we usually have excellent feedback about the cleanliness of our bedrooms so I will investigate your comments further.

We do find that some Sat Nav systems which don't have the most up to date maps direct our guests to the hotel via the new J29 of the M1, rather than J28. We are currently working on a way of correcting this.

I hope you return to stay with us again soon,

Regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Derbyshire Hotel for 3 nights over the May day bank holiday weekend. Booked it only a few days beforehand and were a little apprehensive because of some negative reports on Trip Advisor, but got an excellent deal and thought we would give it a try as it was easily accessible from the M1, close to the Peak District and we also liked the fact that it had a pool. We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel is easy to locate, just off Junction 28 of the M1 on the A38 towards Mansfield and is next to a Premier Inn/Brewers Fayre. It is a modern building, easy to park at and we found it to be clean and the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Pleased with the room - clean and with a comfortable bed - it was a little dated, but this was a minor thing and certainly did not effect the quality of our stay. Breakfast was very good - good choice of foods and excellent service. It was busy, but we did not have to queue or wait long for tea/coffee. Cannot comment on the other food in the hotel as we were not able to eat there, but the menu looked good and prices reasonable for a 4 star hotel. Bar prices were also reasonable. Used the pool area once and found it to be very pleasant - although the pool itself is quite small, more of a leisure pool than for swimming. All in all an excellent short break - thanks Derbyshire Hotel! We hope to visit again at some stage.

2  Thank Diane P

Dear Diane P,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

Its' great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to visit again soon.

I am glad that you found us easily, and found the hotel to be modern and clean with ample parking. I will pass on your fantastic feedback to the staff teams as it is very encouraging that you found service to be excellent, as well as friendly and helpful.

Our housekeepers will be most pleased your room was clean and comfortable, and our chefs will too be very happy you enjoyed the breakfast selection.

It's lovely that you had chance to use the leisure facilities, and overall enjoyed your break.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

we stayed in this holiday over the bank holiday weekend and was very please the room it was lovely size with a large double bed and clean the staff are very friendly and help full ,I was worried about the motorway noise but this was not a problem the breakfast was great with everything you would need and i did see staff making things like poached eggs for people when asked we could not have been happier if i wanted to be "picky" the lady looked very stress on the desk when we got there as her system and printers was down and Leicester city football team was trying to check in but even then she was very friendly and happy to help ,the carpet are a little thread bare in places and when we went for breakfast the first morning my husband and i got up to get our breakfast and our table was given away but one was found very quickly for us and the lady was so apologetic fresh tea and coffee was got for us (but it was very very busy) the room was a little hot but my husband turn off the radiator and opened the window problem solved the only other problem was i want to have a sleep and my husband want to go out and having one key you need for the lights but the lady on reception made other with no problem (room 135) thank you to all the staff for a lovely weekend away which was the first one in 18 years with no kids xx

Dear steph73gc,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased you found your room to be clean and comfortable as well as spacious and peaceful.

Its great to see that you thought the staff teams were friendly and helpful, and were able to look after all of your needs throughout your stay. I will be sure to pass on your great comments.

I hope you choose to stay with us again soon,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

As with most reviewers, we stayed for one evening on a special Travelzoo rate. There was a queue to check in which was moving slowly due to there being one member of staff there to check in. Mark did a good job, but he could have done with some help!

The leisure facilities were good and we tried to make the most of them. Towels are available at the leisure reception desk, who also give you a locker key.

Our room was fine with an easy chair and a desk chair, along with the normal tea and coffee making facilities. Much of the furniture had slight chips and a few wonky hinges; I hope that the rooms will be updated at some point, but considering the price and the deal we got then beggars can't be choosers! In fairness, it was all immaculately clean.

The food was good too. Not much fish in the hot smoked salmon fishcake, but it was well presented. The special of the wild boar and chorizo burger was good and my husband's Gloucester Old Spot sausages & mash were apparently tasty too.

All in all a good stay and we'd happily stay on a deal again. In order for the hotel to reach its rack rate it would need to refurbish the rooms!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear The Teacher7,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Travelzoo offer, and will certainly feedback your positive comments to Mark in regards to your check in.

Its great to see that you found your room to be clean and comfortable, I'm sure our housekeeping team will be very happy to hear your comments.

It's good to see that you enjoyed your meal with us, our chef team will be very pleased. We will look into the fish cake to make sure every one is served to standard, and so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Derbyshire hotel with some friends following my wife finding a great deal on travelzoo. We decided to go to the Peak District for some walking and used the hotel as an overnight stay. The travelzoo deal comprised of : a double room, a bottle of wine, 2 course meal for 2, breakfast and use of the leisure facilities for £79. The room was large and very comfortable, and the leisure facilities were very welcome after some walking during the day. We were very pleasantly surprised by the standard of the food, and wine wasn't bad either!

Breakfast the next morning was of a good standard, even with a very busy restaurant. Overall the staff were very good, and it seemed that the hotel had planned for a busy weekend, with plenty of staff during mealtimes.

Overall we were very impressed by the hotel and the deal, and would certainly stay again on the travelzoo deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear sarahanddarren,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Trazvelzoo deal, and enjoyed the local countryside. Its great that you had the chance to use our leisure facilities and that you found your room to be large and comfortable.

I will make sure our team hear of your great comments about our food and wine, as well as the service you received.

I hope you stay with us again in the future,

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
11 mi away
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!