“Travelzoo value for money and good location”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Travelzoo value for money and good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed for a Sat night on a travel zoo rate.The hotel was as expected for a modern chain - not sure about 4* but there is a pool, treatment rooms etc which probably contributes.Room was fine although very small.
There were a few mistakes, -first mine! I had mistakenly booked on line the night before! This was not a problem for the staff on reception who quickly organised our room- no hassle.This was very well dealt with.
Next at dinner we waited for 30 mins for our starter and when we raised with the waiter he quickly resolved.No excuses he admitted the order had not gone through .My husband ordered pork belly and was told this was now pork loin but in fact when it came was clearly gammon.The food was good quality and enjoyable but not what was ordered.
Given the above the manager came over (not at our request) and offered dessert and coffee on the house.They also did not charge for the 2 glasses of wine we ordered.
All in all this was dealt with really well by attentive staff.I do commend the staff for their very good service
The hotel was busy at breakfast but again service very attentive and efficient
In summary we had a very nice break and would visit the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Hopsgp,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is very encouraging to see how highly you rate the service our staff provided; we do pride ourselves on giving excellent service and I will certainly pass on your feedback to the teams.

I am pleased that your bedroom was sorted out quickly for you when you arrived, and similarly that the restaurant staff were attentive for you. I apologise for the mistake with your food order and the delay in your starters; I will look into this to see where we can improve in the future.

I'ts great that you enjoyed your break and would visit us again.

Glynn Jones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Baldock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here on business in April and good location for an overnight stay as very close to the M1. Check in was quick and the room was in good condition, very clean and a nice comfortable bed! The only issue was the TV as it wasn't new and no onscreen guide which is a given these days and the taps in the bathroom, the cold tap was damaged and an exposed gap for the piping and the shower code kept getting caught in the gap. I think the room was 340. The food was good but we ordered some sandwiches from the night porter which was £30 for 4 sandwiches, a few crisps and some salad which I thought was a bit steep but overall a good stay and would recommend

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear PaulH80,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you found the hotel to be ideally located for your business trip, and that check in was quick for you. I will pass on your fantastic comments about your room to our housekeeping team who will be very happy to hear your feedback.

We will be updating our televisions very soon, and I will certainly look into the issue with the tap in your room. I am pleased you found the food to be good, and can assure you that we regularly complete an analysis of other 4* hotels in the area to ensure we are competitive on price.

Its great to see that you would recommend the hotel, and hope you will stay with us again soon,

Glynn Jones
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was extremely disappointed in this hotel it is meant to be a four star hotel and the only thing that makes it is that it has a gym, pool, sauna and steam. The room we stayed in was shabby to say the least - the curtains were filthy, the tv didn't work the bathroom was dirty and the hotel was full so we couldn't switch rooms! The evening meal that was included in the price was extremely disappointing, a choice of only one sitting and choice of two mains. The cost of two lemonades was £6.60 which I also thought was daylight robbery and the number of guests we saw in the pub across the road was believable some had even gone to eat! The queue for breakfast was madness too! They keys failed on numerous occasions and we did complain and get some money back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helen T
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Helen T,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is disappointing to see that you found your room to be of a lower quality than you would have liked, we receive a lot of great feedback about how clean and comfortable our bedrooms are. I will speak with my team to ensure that all bedrooms are maintained to our usual high standard. I'm sorry that you were unable to move rooms as we were very busy.

I apologise that the time you wished to dine may have not been available for you. As we strive to achieve high levels of customer service, and as the restaurant was very busy, we do have to ensure that we manage the volume in a way so as to make sure everyone receives excellent service.

It is disappointing that the menu was not to your taste, and that bar prices were higher than you would have liked. We do regularly analyse the pricing of other 4* properties in the area to ensure we remain competitive.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, with a busy hotel comes a busy breakfast time and we are able to advise of when the quieter periods are for you should you not wish to wait for a table.

I hope you choose to stay with us again soon,

Travelers are raving about these South Normanton hotels

Derby, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for one night whilst walking in the Peak District.
The hotel is situated in a good location, just a very short distance from junction 28 of the M1.
Our room was pleasant and quiet although we could not turn the radiator down and found it to be far too hot in the room overnight.
We made use of the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. These were all excellent and the outlook from the fitness suite was very pleasant even on a cold April evening! I would consider these facilities to be far better than those I have experienced in much more expensive hotels.
We also used the spa facilities and both had massages booked. The young ladies were excellent who work there.
The breakfast was pleasant also which was included.
All staff were polite and friendly.
Now my one gripe really was the prices in the bar. We are well travelled but I have never seen prices that extortionate before. They were charging up to £9.85 for a glass of wine. The hotel is well suited to business travellers so this may not be an issue for them but I found this excessive.
We did not use the restaurant so I can't comment on that but there is a brewsters fayre opposite, alternatively we went to a lovely restaurant less than a mile away called the Schoolhouse for which I have done a separate review.
Overall I would say it is very good value for money but take your own drinks or go elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank gillybeany
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear gillybeany,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

The hotel is located an ideal distance from the Peak District, and its great that you had the chance to visit the area. I'm pleased that you found your room to be quiet and pleasant, and I am sorry it was too warm for you in the evening - I will investigate this to make sure the radiators are at the right temperature.

I will certainly pass on your fantastic feedback to our leisure club team, who will be very happy to see that you enjoyed the facilities and your treatments.

Its very encouraging that you found staff to be polite and friendly, as well as breakfast to be pleasant, I will make sure the team sees your great comments.

We do regularly complete analysis of other 4* hotels in the area to ensure our pricing is competitive, and I am sorry that you did find the bar prices higher than you would have liked.

I hope you do choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I booked this hotel to spend a few days away with my children visiting National Trust properties nearby and to visit the nearby shopping outlet. This is my third visit to the hotel; I have brought my children here for the last two years and have always felt very comfortable staying here without my husband.
The staff are what makes this hotel so pleasant; they go out of their way to make you feel welcome which is a real positive especially when I have my two children on my own. Although this is predominantly a hotel for business travellers we have never felt out of place here at all.

The rooms are fine, they are looking a little tired but maintenance is good; I had a problem with the water in the bathroom and this was swiftly and efficiently dealt with, indeed this is the only time I have encountered a problem on a visit to the hotel. It would be useful if the hotel had more bigger rooms with a second double bed, we had the sofa bed made up for one of the children to sleep in which made the room rather cramped.

Where this hotel really shines is in the restaurant which was most noticeable given my visit to Kenwood Hall, another Principal Hayley hotel the week before. The service in The Derbyshire is infinitely superior as is the quality of the food. The menus for both hotels are the same and the dishes at The Derbyshire are of a much higher quality than Kenwood Hall.

All in all it was a very pleasant stay and I will be returning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Helen2078,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great review following your stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased that you feel comfortable here, and that you and your children have enjoyed breaks with us over the last couple of years. We are in great proximity to a selection of attractions, including National Trust sites and the East Midlands Designer Outlet which I am pleased you have enjoyed.

I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to our staff team, who will be most pleased to here that they make you feel so welcome. We do pride ourselves on providing an excellent service and so it is most encouraging to receive such positive comments.

It's great to see that you and your children enjoyed your dining experience with us, and found the food and service in the restaurant to be of such a high standard. The team will be so happy to hear your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here in January and enjoyed it so much we stayed for two nights in march. Its so relaxing you just feel chilled as soon as you walk in. The spa is exalant. The rooms could do with a bit of a refurb and the food is ok. ***RECOMMENDED*** we will return.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear rubylou2006,

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your stays here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is very pleasing to see that you have stayed with us on a number of occasions, and find the atmosphere to be relaxing from arrival.

We will soon be putting new televisions in our rooms, and introducing a Specials Menu and so thank you for your feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Derbyshire Hotel very soon,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Once more, a great stay. We have always gone at a quiet time, but this time was Easter, so it was very busy. As a result, the breakfast area was very, very busy. We had to wait for food the first morning, so we ordered breakfast in bed the next day - much better.
Rooms are always clean and tidy, the hotel is just off the motorway and is ideal for trips out. Staff are always on hand if you have any issues. Take the time to use the sauna and steam room as they are very relaxing. The swimming pool is not the biggest, but then again you're not going to be swimming in the Olympics!
Enjoy your stay when you go!

• Stayed March 2013
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear BlueRe,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel, its lovely to see that you have stayed with us before and returned to enjoy the Easter weekend with us.

The hotel was busy over Easter, and therefore breakfast was a very busy time and I apologise you had to wait on the first morning. I'm pleased that you found room service to suit your needs for your second morning.

I will pass on your feedback to our housekeeping team, who will be most pleased to see that you found your bedroom to be clean and tidy. It is also encouraging that you feel our staff team are always on hand to help, we do pride ourselves on providing a high level of customer service.

Thank you for your feedback about our leisure club, it is great that you were able to use these facilties during your stay.

I look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon,

Regards,

3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,120 reviews
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!