“Lovely overnite stay!!”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed March 17, 2013

On 16th March, my husband Ozzy and I (Anne) went to this hotel on a special cheap deal from Travelzoo, my bro' and sister-in-law came too, the hotel was superb, very very clean and sparkling!! The staff were really lovely, very polite and we didn't wait long for our dinner in the evening which was gorgeous and presented excellently, the breakfast was self service and equally nice, FULL MARKS for them!!!!

Room Tip: we didn't see the children activities and didn't use the spa.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Ozzy and Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay using your Travelzoo offer at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and sparkling, we do take great pride on the presentation of our facilities. The staff will be very happy that you found them to be so lovely and polite, and that your dinner and breakfast was well presented and enjoyable, I will pass on your great feedback to the team.

I hope you choose to stay with us again,

Glynn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,677)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed with my wife and sister plus brother in law for one night 16th march, on a travel zoo deal. Lovely hotel, with a pub close by, as the pint here was over 4£, really dear.staff in the hotel are excellent and cant do enough for you, we did'nt pay for our meals other than for the sweets as deal included 2 course meal, bottle of wine, and breakfast for £79 for both of us.only setback was the badly cracked was basin in our bathroom, if i was to be a moaner, would we stay again yes, also a retail park not far away for shopping if you like.thanks to all the staff for a very professional attitude for our stay Brian and vanda room 174.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Brian and Vanda,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased you had the chance to take advantage of our Travelzoo offer, and found the hotel to be the ideal place for a relaxing weekend away.

The staff will be very happy to hear your comments on their excellent service; I will be sure to pass these on for you.

I will make sure our maintence team take a look at the basin in your room to ensure any issue is dealt with quickly.

It's great that you had chance to visit the East Midlands Designer Outlet as this is a fantastic local attraction and very handy for our guests looking for entertainment within walking distance.

I look forwrad to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future,

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Booked this stay through a Groupon offer, Very good location, handy for M1 and A38.
We had a very pleasant stay here; on arrival the reception staff are very pleasant and efficient. We had a relaxing Sunday afternoon followed with an evening meal in the restaurant, which was very good too. Nice choice of wines on the menu,. We enjoyed our coffees and a drink in the Tempus bar, my partner happy as able to watch football! The rooms are looking a little dated, (no flat screen TV's yet) but the room was cosy, comfortable and clean. Fluffy white towels in a very clean bathroom and lashing of VERY hot water. The mini fridge in the room is useful too. I would just like to add that we did have a valid complaint, (which there is no need for a mention here), which I brought to the managers attention, they were happy that they were given the chance to put this right, and they were more than accommodating. So my advice is if you have a valid concern, please bring this to their attention and give them the opportunity to sort it out.
I would be happy to recommend this hotel, though not quiet sure it rates as my idea of 4*

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Deni34,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay using your Groupon voucher.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our reception team to be efficient and pleasant, I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.

Its great to see thank you also enjoyed your evening meal and found our wine selection to be good. We do offer a variety of different beverages to compliment our restaurant dishes. The Sky Sports in the bar has proven very popular, I am pleased your partner managed to watch the football in the lounge.

I will pass your feedback to our housekeeping team as it is very pleasing to read that you found your room to be clean, cosy and comfortable. We do have plans to upgrade our televisions and this should be happening very soon.

It is very encouraging to see that you gave us the chance to rectify the issue you brought to our attention - we always take feedback seriously and welcome the opportunity to address any issues as soon as we can to ensure the quality of your experience with us.

I hope you choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon,

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned after enjoying a lovely Mother's Day weekend.
The staff were all very friendly , the swimming pool is excellent and family friendly and breakfast was all very relaxed and enjoyable .
The rooms were a little tired but the beds were very comfy , but must add the whole hotel was very warm and cosy .
We booked for evening meal in the restaurant but while having a drink in the bar we noticed how threadbare the carpet was the whole way through which was such a shame .
The price of food and drinks were extortionate and the restaurant menu was very sparse , as a family we didn't spend long downstairs after our meal as even for juice it was very pricey .
We suggest lowering their prices a little !
But all in all we all enjoyed ourselves !

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank cheryl w
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear cheryl w,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

It is great to see that you enjoyed your Mother's Day break with us, and that you found our staff team to be very friendly, and the leisure facilities to be excellent. I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere, I will certainly pass your comments on to all of our staff.

Our housekeeping team will be most pleased to hear that you found your bed to be so comfortable, and that overall you thought the hotel was warm and cosy.

We regularly complete analysis of the pricing of other 4* hotels in the area to ensure all of our prices are inline with this and so I am sorry you found our prices to be more than you would have liked. Our Tempus menu has a selection of dishes available, and very soon we will be introducing a 'specials' board to further increase the range of dishes.

Overall I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a typical business hotel right by a motorway in the middle of nowhere, OK if you want to arrive and just eat and sit in your room but no good if you want to walk and explore unless you want to drive everywhere.
The rooms are of a good standard, and the building is nice and in good repair, but most of the views aren't anything to write home about, ours was of the restaurant roof. Staff were friendly, but struggling with lots of problems with door keys and mis-allocated food bills.
We had dinner in the restaurant and it was delicious, but the choice was decidedly limited - less options than the room service menu! Breakfast was a disaster though, none of the 'hot' food was even warm, the baked beans might as well have been served straight from the tin.
The wi-fi was 'free' but only after supplying lots of personal details (apparently to meet some EU directive) and then it was throttled so it was so slow it was unusable and only lasted for 30 minutes. For a 4* hotel this was awful, if Campanile can charge less than half as much for a room and give you faster free wi-fi why can't they do that here?
The TV didn't even offer all Freeview channels and there wasn't even a list of them or an on-screen guide so you had to scroll through to see what was available and showing, at least with only about 7 channels that didn't take long!
Overall not a bad hotel, but make the wi-fi free, add full Freeview on the TV and drag the breakfast up to even half the standard of the evening meals and it could be excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penguino257
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Penguino257,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

The hotel is located within walking distance of the East Midlands Designer Outlet, and is a short drive from other places to visit including Derbyshire and the Peak District and so I am disappointed you did not find an activity to interest you in the local area.

I am pleased you found our staff team to be friendly, I will make sure I pass on your comments. It is unusual that we have issues with our systems, such as door keys and so I will look into this further to see how we can improve.

Its great to see that you enjoyed dinner in the Tempus restaurant, and I will investigate your comments in regards to the warmth of the breakfast buffet with our Head Chef as we do normally receive positive feedback in this area.

We do have plans in place to replace all of our televisions and this should be completed very soon. Sky Sports as well as other channels are available in the Tempus lounge, and so I am sorry to read that there was less choice available on this occasion as you would have liked.

I do hope that you choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked a executive suite with prosecco and chocolates on arival in our room and evening meal as a valentines suprise for my partner on the 16/02/2013.
I managed to keep it a secret and i really couldnt wait to see his face on arrival.
We arrived at 3,30pm and was given a room swipe,I think the room number was 286 or something i cant quite remember but we found it eventualy.
We tryed to enter but was unable to for some reason so we had to walk back and then wolleed the manager took us to get in.
On entry the room overall was smashing.I asked for a nice view when booking and they had placed us over looking the pool area.
My partner was sure as hell chuffed and i couldnt wait to crack open the bubbly.
I looked around and noticed neither was there,no prosecco and no chocolates.
At this point the suprise was gone and i rang down to ask where it was stateing this was a suprise!
The bar staff said leave it with them and they would see what they would do.
So i thought ok next suprise pool and sauna.
So we went for our robes to find there wasnot any.
We got down to the pool to be greated by i think tasha im not sure.
I told her about the robes and she said she would send them to the room,I said oh comon surely you dont want me to walk all the way back they should have been there on arrival with the wine and chocs.
Wine and chocs she replied......you dont get that anymore its dosent go in the rooms.I couldnt believe it at this point i wanted to cry my suprise had gone so wrong.
After much talk she got our robes brought to us and spoke to reception (Mark) regarding the wine.
Finally we got changed into our robes to enter the pool to find a stampa,yea you read right a used tampax floating.
Well we was so shocked i couldnt believe it.
The pool was then closed and we returned to our room upset.
Back at the room things was looking up as the wine was there on chill.Only 2 and a half hours late with the valentines suprise out of the window but we had our evening meal to look forward to,surely my suprise night away couldnt get any worse????
Well Yes,we plugged in the iron to iron clothes for dinner and the room went into darkness it was pitch black out side and we couldnot see a thing.I couldnt believe it.
I managed to get through to reception after 10 minutes of sitting in the dark with a mobile phone as a torch mark came and said we had to move GREAT.
We went down to room 187 maybe it was awfull.
Small bed and so small and cold.....we had been down graided.I didnot have any makeup anything as we couldnt see to pack our bags,What a nightmare!
We got a free bottle of wine with our dinner which we was so upset we didnot eat or drink and asked for this to be sent to our room but we never recieved it.
At this point i had given up.
We slept in the small cold bed overlooking the car park and woke up in the morning to trapse back to the old room in the light for my clothes.
What a nightmare and they charged me full price,I have the reciept.
So to top it of i even paid for a room i never recieved.
So upseting :(

Room Tip: Nothing to say
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SarahBee1,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay.

I am so pleased that you chose The Derbyshire for your Valentines treat, and I really cannot apologise enough for the disappointment that you experienced. I am sorry that the wine and chocolates you ordered, and robes were not in the room ready for your arrival, clearly there had been a miscommunication on this.

I am aware that a hygiene issue occured which caused the pool to be closed, and that you have already spoken to management in regards to this. It is very unfortunate that this happened during your stay but I am sure you can understand that in the interest of health and safety the pool had to be closed to enable us to deal with the problem. We regularly check the facilities, however things can happen in between these checks which we have no control over.

I am sorry that there was an issue with the lighting in your room when the iron was plugged in, and that the new room you were given did not meet your expectations.

As I understand you received complimentary drinks, wine and have since been offered a discounted stay here at the hotel, and it is disappointing to see that you did not feel satisfied with this offering.

If you would like to discuss your points, please don't hesiate to contact me and I will be happy to discuss these again with you.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night only and was surprised how small the room was (Room 145). The front desk staff were unwelcoming. The room was like a sauna in the night. The WiFi was very poor and a strange system of being free for 30 minutes before having to log on again with all personal details. The buffet breakfast was in the main cold and totally lacking in service.

Overall this hotel lacks any character or friendliness and when I checked my bill after leaving I noticed I had been overcharged by some £14 charging me for an extra breakfast ?? The overcharge was subsequently refunded but I will not be revisiting this overpriced hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear BrightonUKMike42,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am disappointing to see that you felt unwelcome when you arrived at reception; we usually get great feedback about how friendly and welcoming our team are and I apologise that you did not receive the level of service you expected on check in, or at breakfast.

We do offer WIFI cards which enable you to stay logged on, and I am sorry that you did not find our 30 minutes free system to work for you. Usually the signal is good throughout the hotel so I apologise on this occasion it seemed not to have been. I will be sure to look into the heating in the bedroom to ensure the temerature remains comfortable.

Breakfast is served in the Tempus Restaurant, and we do receive a lot of positive feedback in this area so its disapointing that the food available was not as hot as you would have liked.

I am pleased that the error on your bill was corrected for you, and if you would like to discuss any of the points in your review in more details, please don't hesiate to contact me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
11 mi away
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!