“Mixed view”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
yorkshire
“Mixed view”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Me and My partner stopped here for one night, it had been pre booked by our children through groupon, On arival we were told we could not check in because we didnt have the printed off paperwork from Groupon, and were faced with a considerable drive back up the motorway to get it...there was no flexibility at all....in the end i got my daughter to email the paperwork as requested and we were then allowed to check in.....Hmmmmm, nice start..
On inspection of the room we noticed the bed valance had.......erm how shall i put it...what appeared to be stains from a certain type of activity, obviously the valance had not been changed.
We asked to re roomed, or a complete change of bedding, new bedding was fitted with no qualms.
The overall look of the hotel was nice, although as stated by previous posters, it was starting to look like it needed money spending on it,
The meals were nice and not small in portion, and we were served by excellent staff, however the drinks were quite expensive, which meant we were not going to drink in the bar, we went out for the evening and found a local watering hole.
The gym, sauna/steam room etc were excellent, and we spent a nice couple of hours in there.
To summarise, it was a nice place, and we had a nice time, would i go back.? possibly not

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank banjodeano
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear banjodeano,

Thank you for your recent view following your stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I do apologise that your check in to the hotel was not as smooth as you would have liked, however with some of our special promotions we do require the booking information to be available when you arrive for your redemption code.

It is disappointing to read that the housekeeping standards were not as you expected in your bedroom, but thank you for informing our team who rectified the issue quickly for you.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience in our Tempus Restaurant, and the staff will be so happy that you found service to be excellent, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team. I can assure you that all of our prices are placed in line with other 4* hotels in the local area, but I'm sorry that you found these to be higher than you would have liked in our bar.

Our leisure facilities are very popular with all of our guests, and its great to see that you had the chance to use them during your visit.

I hope you will choose to return to The Derbyshire Hotel in the near future,

Glynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Chester
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We attended a business function. The accommodation was excellent, the staff were welcoming and efficient. The use of the spar was a bonus. The evening meal was very good as was the buffet breakfast. The room was not double glazed but that is just an observation. Overall an excellent stay

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear ChesterGraham,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent business function.

It is encouraging to read that you found your bedroom to be excellent, and the staff to be welcoming and efficient - I will certainly pass your comments on to the team who will be most pleased.

It's great to see you had the chance to use our spa facilities; these added extras are ideal for our guests who like yourself are travelling on business, as well as our leisure guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future,

Nottingham
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one of the Xmas party nights. Friendly welcome. Clean room. Comfy bedding. Food at party was ok but most bulk service is average, however breakfast wa excellent! Full English great sausages, etc, even did me special order poached eggs. Can recommend for price paid. Did not use gym or pol but all looked ok.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Bev C
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Bev C,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel during the festive season.

Its great to see that you found your welcome to the hotel to be friendly, and also that your room was clean and comfortable as well as value for money.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the food during your stay, and will pass on your comments to our kitchen team, who will be delighted to hear that you found your breakfast to be excellent. Our chef's are always willing to go the extra mile, as well as cater for any special requests where possible.

I hope next time you visit us, you will have the chance to take advantage of our leisure facilities.

I look forward to seeing you again soon at The Derbyshire Hotel,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and i stayed at this hotel on Saturday night and were not impressed.

I'll start with the good points. We were greeted at reception by Alison, who was polite, efficient and very helpfull during our stay.

Denise, who works in the restaurant was also friendly, efficient and very welcoming.

Now the bad stuff. We were given our room number, 174, which we found on the dark gloomy lower level. I had read before we arrived that you could take your pet with you, and as soon as we opened our room door we knew someone had done just that. The smell was awful. There were two chairs in the room, the sort you find in nursing homes, and one of them had a large stain in the middle of the seat. I walked in the bathroom and saw what i thought was a large hair in the sink. Upon trying to remove this, found it was a large crack which had gathered dirt.

I did not feel at all comfortable in this room so went back up to reception where i told Alison about the room and she moved us to room 329 which was marginally better, certainly a little fresher smelling, but still a little tired looking.

After our move we decided to head to the bar for a drink. A pint of lager and a white wine and soda came to £9.05, which is very expensive.

We decided to go to the pub just across the car park where the same drinks cost us £5.40.

We had booked to eat in the restaurant at 9.30 so headed back to the hotel and went back in the bar for a last drink before our meal. The same barman poured us the same drinks and then told us that would cost us £11.35!

I asked why the same round had previously cost us £9.05 and he said because that wines dearer.

I had not asked for a more expensive wine so therefore why did he pour that one, did he think we wouldn't notice. There was no apology and i told him to change it to the one i had had previously as that was expensive enough.!

He went to the till, refunded my husband the difference, never spoke and walked away, leaving me with the more expensive wine obviously thinking he'd done me a huge favour.

I found his attitude abrupt and rude.

The meal was so so, the service as i've said very good.

The rooms in this hotel are crying out for a re-fit. All the armchairs in the rooms and the ones scattered around the corners of all the coridors look like they were bought in a job lot from a retirement home.

We will not be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay H
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Kay H,

Thank you for your time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay.

I am really pleased that you found the front desk and restaurant service here at the hotel to be very good, although it is disappointing to see that you did not find your bedroom to the standard you had expected. We usually get great feedback on the quality of our product, and our bedrooms are very often described as being very clean and comfortable.

I'm sorry that you found our bar prices to be more expensive that you would have liked, however I can assure you that we regularly complete competitor analysis on other 4* hotels in the area to ensure our prices are competitive.

I apologise for the misunderstanding with your drinks order, although I am pleased that your husband was refunded for the mistake and I will certainly look into how any such issues are dealt with in the future - we normally get very good feedback about the attitude of our staff and so I am suprised to read that on this occasion you did not find this to be the case.

If you would like to talk about your stay in more detail, please don't hesiate to contact me and I will be more than happy to discuss your feedback in more depth with you.

Manchester
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here for our anniversary deal was very reasonable. The wife used the spa facility's and they were fine. I would have liked to use them but unfortunately was ill on the morning we left and only getting over it now! ( nothing to do with the hotel!)

Only thing was that its located next to the motorway and to get to any sights it's a bit of a drive, saying that still a very nice hotel.

Rooms were very clean and tidy.

Would visit again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Colin W
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Colin W,

Thank you for your review following your anniversary stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

Congratulations on your anniversary, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your celebrations with us. Its great to see that your wife had the chance to use our leisure club, perhaps you too will be able to relax there on your next visit.

We do pride ourselves on service and quality levels, so to read that you found your room to be clean and tidy is great feedback.

Although we are located just minutes from Junction 28 of the M1, we do find this places us well for a selection of local attractions across the East Midlands.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

mottingham
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday and really enjoyed it.we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful reception team.we had a deluxe double room with a huge comfy bed, nice bathroom,tea and coffee tray with biscuits and bathrobes and slippers. Only fault with room was old style tv and not much choice of channels.considering we were right near the motorway we never heard a sound.
The gym was small but equiped.the pool area was lovely with loungers,jacuzzi and sauna. A steam room was also there but a tad too hot. We had a great treatment each and then had a glass of bubbly in the relaxation room. We had dinner in the restuarant there was a wait to be seated. Nice menu but very limited. The staff had decorated the table for my birthday and also bought out my birthday cake which was lovely.breakfast was buffet style and could not be faulted.

Would recommend this hotel.a great place for a short get away to relax and fairly eady to get to from nottingham. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank jules73
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Jules73,

Thank you for your time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay for your birthday.

It is great to hear that you found the service to be excellent - this is something we very much pride ourselves on, and team will be very pleased to hear your comments.

Our bedrooms are often said to be very comfortable, and it is encouraging that you too found them to be. The Leisure Club is a great addition to our facilities and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your treatments with a glass of bubbly to celebrate your day.

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your dinner in our Tempus restaurant as well as breakfast, and that the staff looked after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Derbyshire Hotel in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a nice hotel, very conveniently situated next to junction 28 of the M1, but not 4 star. Nice leisure centre/spa although the pool is a too small for anything other than splashing about. The reception and bar area is a little small particularly when there are queues to check in/out. The room we stayed in was perfectly fine, although again a little on the snug side and starting to be bit tired. My biggest criticism was the house keeping, you don'y expect to walk into your room to find cobwebs in the corners and thick dust on the top of the TV. We were also disappointed that the room had no information about the hotel facilities and the TV info facility didn't work. Because of previous reports we didn't eat our evening meal in the hotel but, went to the pub across the road (very nice but busy). Breakfast was excellent. Generally, they have pretension to be better than they are.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark C
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you found your stay to be enjoyable, and that the hotel was located in a place convenient for you. Our Tempus restaurant serves a fantastic menu, and its great to read you found breakfast to be excellent.

It's good to hear that you also enjoyed our leisure facilities, I'm sorry that you found some other areas of the hotel to be smaller than you expected.

I am disappointed that you found the cleanliness of your room and facilities within to be below the standard you would have liked - we usually receive great feedback on all aspects of our bedrooms so I will certainly look into this further.

If you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope you do choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,153 reviews
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!