My husband and i stayed at this hotel on Saturday night and were not impressed.
I'll start with the good points. We were greeted at reception by Alison, who was polite, efficient and very helpfull during our stay.
Denise, who works in the restaurant was also friendly, efficient and very welcoming.
Now the bad stuff. We were given our room number, 174, which we found on the dark gloomy lower level. I had read before we arrived that you could take your pet with you, and as soon as we opened our room door we knew someone had done just that. The smell was awful. There were two chairs in the room, the sort you find in nursing homes, and one of them had a large stain in the middle of the seat. I walked in the bathroom and saw what i thought was a large hair in the sink. Upon trying to remove this, found it was a large crack which had gathered dirt.
I did not feel at all comfortable in this room so went back up to reception where i told Alison about the room and she moved us to room 329 which was marginally better, certainly a little fresher smelling, but still a little tired looking.
After our move we decided to head to the bar for a drink. A pint of lager and a white wine and soda came to £9.05, which is very expensive.
We decided to go to the pub just across the car park where the same drinks cost us £5.40.
We had booked to eat in the restaurant at 9.30 so headed back to the hotel and went back in the bar for a last drink before our meal. The same barman poured us the same drinks and then told us that would cost us £11.35!
I asked why the same round had previously cost us £9.05 and he said because that wines dearer.
I had not asked for a more expensive wine so therefore why did he pour that one, did he think we wouldn't notice. There was no apology and i told him to change it to the one i had had previously as that was expensive enough.!
He went to the till, refunded my husband the difference, never spoke and walked away, leaving me with the more expensive wine obviously thinking he'd done me a huge favour.
I found his attitude abrupt and rude.
The meal was so so, the service as i've said very good.
The rooms in this hotel are crying out for a re-fit. All the armchairs in the rooms and the ones scattered around the corners of all the coridors look like they were bought in a job lot from a retirement home.
We will not be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family-friendly and very comfortable, you'll feel relaxed from the moment you arrive. Near the heart of the Peak district where you will find delightful walks and spectacular views. Chatsworth House, fun-packed thrills of Alton Towers, and extensive shopping at East Midlands Outlet are all nearby. Enjoy our modern gym, indoor pool, spa bath and optional health & beauty treatments. Beautiful suites available for meetings and events, from conferences to weddings. If you are planning a trip abroad, the hotel is just 30 minutes from East Midlands Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Derbyshire Derby reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Derbyshire Hotel South Normanton
- Derbyshire South Normanton
- The Derbyshire Derby South Normanton, UK