“Take air freshner and plenty of money for drinks!”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and i stayed at this hotel on Saturday night and were not impressed.

I'll start with the good points. We were greeted at reception by Alison, who was polite, efficient and very helpfull during our stay.

Denise, who works in the restaurant was also friendly, efficient and very welcoming.

Now the bad stuff. We were given our room number, 174, which we found on the dark gloomy lower level. I had read before we arrived that you could take your pet with you, and as soon as we opened our room door we knew someone had done just that. The smell was awful. There were two chairs in the room, the sort you find in nursing homes, and one of them had a large stain in the middle of the seat. I walked in the bathroom and saw what i thought was a large hair in the sink. Upon trying to remove this, found it was a large crack which had gathered dirt.

I did not feel at all comfortable in this room so went back up to reception where i told Alison about the room and she moved us to room 329 which was marginally better, certainly a little fresher smelling, but still a little tired looking.

After our move we decided to head to the bar for a drink. A pint of lager and a white wine and soda came to £9.05, which is very expensive.

We decided to go to the pub just across the car park where the same drinks cost us £5.40.

We had booked to eat in the restaurant at 9.30 so headed back to the hotel and went back in the bar for a last drink before our meal. The same barman poured us the same drinks and then told us that would cost us £11.35!

I asked why the same round had previously cost us £9.05 and he said because that wines dearer.

I had not asked for a more expensive wine so therefore why did he pour that one, did he think we wouldn't notice. There was no apology and i told him to change it to the one i had had previously as that was expensive enough.!

He went to the till, refunded my husband the difference, never spoke and walked away, leaving me with the more expensive wine obviously thinking he'd done me a huge favour.

I found his attitude abrupt and rude.

The meal was so so, the service as i've said very good.

The rooms in this hotel are crying out for a re-fit. All the armchairs in the rooms and the ones scattered around the corners of all the coridors look like they were bought in a job lot from a retirement home.

We will not be going back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kay H
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Kay H,

Thank you for your time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay.

I am really pleased that you found the front desk and restaurant service here at the hotel to be very good, although it is disappointing to see that you did not find your bedroom to the standard you had expected. We usually get great feedback on the quality of our product, and our bedrooms are very often described as being very clean and comfortable.

I'm sorry that you found our bar prices to be more expensive that you would have liked, however I can assure you that we regularly complete competitor analysis on other 4* hotels in the area to ensure our prices are competitive.

I apologise for the misunderstanding with your drinks order, although I am pleased that your husband was refunded for the mistake and I will certainly look into how any such issues are dealt with in the future - we normally get very good feedback about the attitude of our staff and so I am suprised to read that on this occasion you did not find this to be the case.

If you would like to talk about your stay in more detail, please don't hesiate to contact me and I will be more than happy to discuss your feedback in more depth with you.

Glynn

Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Went here for our anniversary deal was very reasonable. The wife used the spa facility's and they were fine. I would have liked to use them but unfortunately was ill on the morning we left and only getting over it now! ( nothing to do with the hotel!)

Only thing was that its located next to the motorway and to get to any sights it's a bit of a drive, saying that still a very nice hotel.

Rooms were very clean and tidy.

Would visit again.

1  Thank Colin W
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Colin W,

Thank you for your review following your anniversary stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

Congratulations on your anniversary, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your celebrations with us. Its great to see that your wife had the chance to use our leisure club, perhaps you too will be able to relax there on your next visit.

We do pride ourselves on service and quality levels, so to read that you found your room to be clean and tidy is great feedback.

Although we are located just minutes from Junction 28 of the M1, we do find this places us well for a selection of local attractions across the East Midlands.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future,

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for my birthday and really enjoyed it.we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful reception team.we had a deluxe double room with a huge comfy bed, nice bathroom,tea and coffee tray with biscuits and bathrobes and slippers. Only fault with room was old style tv and not much choice of channels.considering we were right near the motorway we never heard a sound.
The gym was small but equiped.the pool area was lovely with loungers,jacuzzi and sauna. A steam room was also there but a tad too hot. We had a great treatment each and then had a glass of bubbly in the relaxation room. We had dinner in the restuarant there was a wait to be seated. Nice menu but very limited. The staff had decorated the table for my birthday and also bought out my birthday cake which was lovely.breakfast was buffet style and could not be faulted.

Would recommend this hotel.a great place for a short get away to relax and fairly eady to get to from nottingham. Would stay again.

1  Thank jules73
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Jules73,

Thank you for your time to review The Derbyshire Hotel following your recent stay for your birthday.

It is great to hear that you found the service to be excellent - this is something we very much pride ourselves on, and team will be very pleased to hear your comments.

Our bedrooms are often said to be very comfortable, and it is encouraging that you too found them to be. The Leisure Club is a great addition to our facilities and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your treatments with a glass of bubbly to celebrate your day.

I'm very pleased you enjoyed your dinner in our Tempus restaurant as well as breakfast, and that the staff looked after you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Derbyshire Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a nice hotel, very conveniently situated next to junction 28 of the M1, but not 4 star. Nice leisure centre/spa although the pool is a too small for anything other than splashing about. The reception and bar area is a little small particularly when there are queues to check in/out. The room we stayed in was perfectly fine, although again a little on the snug side and starting to be bit tired. My biggest criticism was the house keeping, you don'y expect to walk into your room to find cobwebs in the corners and thick dust on the top of the TV. We were also disappointed that the room had no information about the hotel facilities and the TV info facility didn't work. Because of previous reports we didn't eat our evening meal in the hotel but, went to the pub across the road (very nice but busy). Breakfast was excellent. Generally, they have pretension to be better than they are.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark C

Dear Mark C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you found your stay to be enjoyable, and that the hotel was located in a place convenient for you. Our Tempus restaurant serves a fantastic menu, and its great to read you found breakfast to be excellent.

It's good to hear that you also enjoyed our leisure facilities, I'm sorry that you found some other areas of the hotel to be smaller than you expected.

I am disappointed that you found the cleanliness of your room and facilities within to be below the standard you would have liked - we usually receive great feedback on all aspects of our bedrooms so I will certainly look into this further.

If you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me. I hope you do choose to stay at The Derbyshire Hotel again soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at The Derbyshire this week for a conference evening. First impressions were good, the bar/reception area was clean & tidy but the receptionist was on her own & consequently check in was slow.

We had a double room on the ground floor which was comfortable & tidy but very tired & in need of some new furniture & electrical equipment. The bathroom was less impressive as the grout was stained & the shower mat was mouldy & everything we touched fell off the wall (coat hooks, mirror bracket, toilet roll holder).

We had a set menu for the event we attended which was very good, the wine was pleasant & breakfast the next day was perfectly fine. Expect to pay hotel prices for bar drinks.

The really disappointing part was the leisure 'centre'. The pool area was clean but everything is very substandard. Showers were freezing & couldn't be adjusted & the ceilings are mouldy. The changing areas were messy & grotty and let the rest of the hotel down. It wasn't the relaxing afternoon by the pool we had in mind.

Overall this hotel served its purpose for the night. It would have been lovely 15years ago but it's now a bit faded. Unfortunately everything is charged at 5* prices when it's really only a 3* hotel.

1  Thank Sunnysam80

Dear Sunnysam80,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am pleased that you found your bedroom to be comfortable, as well as our public areas to be clean and tidy. Our Tempus restaurant boasts an extensive food and wine menu, and it is great that you enjoyed your meal, and breakfast.

I am sorry that you found check-in to be slower than you would have liked. Our Leisure Club usually gets fantastic feedback so it is disappointing to read that certain areas were not to the standards you expected.

I can assure you that we regularly complete an anaysis of other 4* hotels in the area to ensure that our pricing is competitive, including our food and beverage offering and so I am disappointed that you found the pricing to be higher than you would have liked.

I hope that you do choose to stay with us again, and if you would like to discuss any aspects of your stay in more detail, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed before Christmas. We booked for on of their Christmas parties and stayed overnight. You get a discounted room rate if you book for the party so we thought we might as well. The room was lovely, warm, spacious and a very comfortable bed. We could have used the hotels indoor pool and saunas but didn't have time. Great stay, friendly staff, would do it again.

Room Tip: We didn't choose a particular room but I think they will all be lovely. We didn't hear any n...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SharonSmh
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear SharonSmh,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Derbyshire Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas party and overnight stay and found our rooms to be comfortable for you. Our team will be happy to hear that you found them to be so friendly and I will pass on your comments to them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future where I hope you will have time to enjoy our leisure club facilities.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I recently stayed at The Derbyshire for 3 nights whilst away on business. On check in, the reception is hidden almost behind you as you enter, which is weird. The staff seemingly had better things to do than check me in, and I was passed from one staff member to another and then back again. The room I was given was dated and in need of a refresh, the TV was very old (with a fuzzy picture), room fairly small, poorly lit and far too much furniture for the size of room. The radiator had been turned off when I first entered the room, making it very cold as there was snow on the ground outside.

I used the spa facilities one night, the shower areas in particular are in need of refurbishment. Of 2 out of 3 showers I tried, they were broken and it was not possible to change the temperature from freezing cold. There was a large amount of mould on the ceiling in the shower area and some of the ceiling was starting to peel away. The hot tub was ok, but the pool was a bit cold, though clean and well maintained.

Now on to the bar, which was staffed by just one person, despite it being busy and long queues for a drink. The drink prices are ridiculous for the location, £4.10 for a pint of bitter and the food prices not much better. There's a Brewers Fayre opposite, which offers much better value and a wider menu, so I ate there on 2 of my 3 nights. I was offered breakfast for £15, but declined. The food I did eat was ok, but expensive for what it was. From the menu and bar prices, you'd think that this hotel was in central London, not just off the M1 near Mansfield!

The room itself was ok value as I got a promotional offer through Laterooms. If staying in this area again, I would opt for the Premier Inn opposite and eat in the Brewers Fayre instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear BrightonAlex 1985,

Thank you so much for your feedback following your stay here at The Derbyshire Hotel.

We usually receive great feedback from our guests for our service and quality standards and so it is disappointing to see that you did not feel welcomed when you arrived to check in. All of our bedrooms are maintained to a high standard and we are receive regular feedback about how comfortable they are, so I am sorry to have read that your room was not to your taste.

Our leisure club is a great addition to the hotel and most of our guests enjoy the facilities, however I will make sure that these are reviewed to ensure they consistantly reach our high standards.

We regularly complete price reviews of other hotels in the area, to ensure that our own food and beverage pricing is set in line with this. We do have a wide selection of food and beverage available for you to choose from, and I am sorry that you did not find this to meet your expectations.

I hope that you do choose to stay with us again soon, and if you would like to discuss any aspect of your stay in more depth, please dont hesitate to contact me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Normanton
11 mi away
Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ringwood Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Brimington

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!