“Good short stay”

The Derbyshire Derby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in South Normanton
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights on a deal and were nicely impressed. Not a super duper hotel but a nice small spa hotel with friendly staff and a good feel to it. Modern so not quite what we prefer as like older character places really but was a very welcome break non-the-less. Food was good and position was excellent. Pool small but nice and jaquizi very bubbly and hot but again nice if you like that sort of thing. Tried the steam room and lasted 2 minutes but liked the sauna as was nice dry ehat and very relaxing. Managed to get no people at the end of the day so was like private pool for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leskir1710
GlynnJ, General Manager at The Derbyshire Derby, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback
It was pleasing to read your review that you were nicely impressed with our modern hotel.
We receive many positive comments about the Leisure facilities we offer to our members and guests alike.
I am glad you found the staff to be friendly, they do offer a warm welcome to our guests.

Kind Regards

Glynn Jones

There are newer reviews for The Derbyshire Derby

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Really dissapointed with the hotel - the number on the website does not include reservations for the restaurant and the number I was given just keeps looping with no answer from ANY of the options including operator or room booking. If this is the service so far it leaves me with very little confidence!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Diddlum
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I have to say that after booking the hotel and then reading the reviews - it was with some trepidation that we went along. The hotel from the outside looks a bit dark and foreboding (but hey it is winter!) however on walking through the front door the reception area was beautiful - clean and bright. We had a very spacious double room on the first floor, comfortable and clean with plenty of storage space and a fridge! The bathroom was spacious and very clean and if I was to say anything negative it would be that the furniture was a wee bit dated and the TV's picture was not brilliant - but hey if that's all then there is not much to complain about. The pool and spa area at night was lovely - very clean and romantically lit and we enjoyed a very relaxing couple of hours there. The staff we met were friendly and helpful and we had a lovely cooked buffet breakfast. Good distance from the Outlet Village - literally 5 mins in the car and across the road from a Beefeater pub. All in all a def. 4 out of 5 !

Room Tip: We were in Room 245!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2011

On Sunday we had our Church Christmas dinner. The company was great but the food awful (tough meat, bullet hard brussel sprouts, miniscule portions and everything bought in NOT homemade never mind chef-made)and the drinks some of the most over priced I have ever had. One member of staff virtually shouted at a 99 year old member of our party for not hearing properly. The same member of staff was very rude to a member of the group who had specified some dietary needs in advance and been assured they would be catered for - they were not...so humiliating.This is the nearest hotel to our home and we often need a place for relatives to stay...it won't ever be here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank REVFS
Reviewed December 10, 2011

start with a positive. hotel is clean and reception and waiting staff were pleasant. Hotel was nightmare to find, receptionist said stated there is a sat nav problem with the postcode which wants to take you to junction 29. so after a two hour drive which should have taken 30 mins we arrived. The bedroom was functional but dated.. Very hot and stuffy and window nailed shut. Classy! We were there for a function and found that the function room was stuffed to the brim. The poor waiting staff had to squeeze down between the tables. It amazed me that no one ended up with a plate of food down their backs. The food was really poor. Tasteless, very very disappointing. Have memories of better school dinners!!! We retreated to the bar following dinner as the function room was just too packed and noisy. The bar staff seemed to have trouble raising a smile let alone a please or thankyou. The ladies toilets were a disgrace. no soap, hand dryer did not work. We stayed for breakfast in the morning which is in a pleasant room with really nice staff. The buffet breakfast was really good but would be improved by being hot rather than room temperature. This hotel is suitable for conferences which I guess is its major function but would advise people not to hold social functions here as is not the best.

Room Tip: premier inn opposite
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2011

This place is in a brilliant location for those that need to be here - very close to the M1 and yet very quiet, without any motorway noise. When I arrived in the dark, the TomTom told me I had arrived at my destination as I came off the M1, yet I had to make three right turns; it would have been helpful if the hotel was better signposted.

On arrival, I noticed there was plenty of parking (although it didn't appear to be covered by CCTV) and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. When I made my way to the room, one thing became apparent - the place is a bit of a maze. Most hotels are built tall (rather than wide) so you can get the lift to your room. This place is the opposite, and can involve a long walk to your room.

Arriving at my room was slightly disappointing. It was very clean but it was old and tired. There were stains on the carpet, black scuff marks on the walls, and holes in the ceiling tiles such that you could see through into some ceiling cavity. The bathroom fan made a constant whining noise, there was a very thick hair in the bath, and the air-conditioning was ineffective and antique (only working in Fahrenheit temperatures). I got so hot in the night (with the air conditioning on full) that I had to get up and open the window. The decor was generally lackluster and in need of refurbishment. There was an old-fashioned CRT TV, with only four channels which could be viewed without interference.

The bed was pretty comfortable, although the pillows were very thick and not to my liking. I was delighted to find two spare pillows in the cupboard which were much thinner. Sadly the pillowcases - although I am sure they were thoroughly washed - were very old and had a large number of dark spots on them, I think the linen is simply overdue for replacement.

The room had an iron, ironing board, trouser press, kettle with tea & coffee sachets, and a hairdryer so everything which you would need - but a bottle of water would have been nice. I also thought it was poor that the Wifi is only complimentary for 30 minutes, and then you have to pay. The shower was quite good, but suffered from that common issue that it changes temperature as you shower, leaving you constantly fiddling with the temperature controls. Also, due to the poor configuration of the shower, a steel safety handle brushed against your side as you wash, and trying to avoid it inevitably meant that the shower curtain stuck to you on the other side. Not a four star shower experience!

The restaurant area is nice enough, the staff friendly and the service good. But the prices are expensive for what you get (based on a four star pricing - but this is honestly not a four star hotel, no matter how the AA might have rated it). The menu attempts "fine dining" but doesn't deliver it. They would do better to serve traditional pub food and a more reasonable price.

Breakfast was adequate, but nothing more. I think that is my overall summary of this hotel: adequate. I have pointed out a lot of shortcomings, but that is par for the course at this price level, so I can't complain. Next time I will stay at the Premier Inn across the road.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank tibi08
Reviewed December 7, 2011

The location was very handy for me being close to the motorway although I drove passed it twice as the lights on the sign were broken. The lobby area is very nice with an open (gas) fire and is light and airey. The staff were very nice and helpful. I paid 69 pounds for one night. I arrived late and left early so did not use the leisure facilities. The room was a bit dated and the bed was very odd with no support at all. Tea and coffee facilities and some nice toiletries. The breakfast was ok, but not amazing. I think if you were going to use the leisure facilities or were there for a conference etcetera it would be a good option but if you just need somewhere to sleep and to get a breakfast for one night I think in future I would use a travelodge or premier inn.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Travelodge Alfreton
Travelodge Alfreton
#1 of 1 in Alfreton

Been to The Derbyshire Derby? Share your experiences!