“Ok for 1 night”

Mariestads Stadshotell
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mariestad
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed one night since it was closest to the venue we were going to. The hotel is a no frills hotel. They offer room and breakfast nothing more. The hotel is a bit run down although some refurbishment has been done to the room. There is no in room phone only one in the corridor. The bathroom is in need of refurbishment. There is mould in the shower. They only offer the cheapest soap and shower gel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a night club in the hotel open to 3 am which can be disturbing when trying to sleep. Parking is free. There is no 24 hour front desk which seems odd, neither is there any staff at the desk, you have to call them to speak to someone. The price is above to what I would be expecting to pay for a place like this. I only chose to stay here because of that the venue was in the area. I will not return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andreas N

Reviewed August 30, 2013

There aren't many options in the city if you want to stay in Mariestad. The hotel is clearly riding the wave of tourists staying one night and never coming back.

I read reviews before and thought, how bad can it be. Well, even the coffee was horrible at breakfast (undrinkable), not to me toon that breakfast consisted of cereal and a small selection of bread, sandwich meat, and condiments.

We paid 200 euros, far overpriced and a one-night stay we'll never forget. Read the reviews here and be warned! What's written is not comments of disgruntled guest, but rather true reviews!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Jason34242
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Me and my girlfriend where on our way to Goteborge and we had planned to stay 2 nights in this hotel. when we arrived first impression was it hasn't been updated. But we where tired and just wanted to go to our room. Woke up in the morning with red rash on both our backs didn't think much of it. after breakfast we both went back to our rooms to sleep more and watch tv. Despite a do not disturbe sign on the door the maid still tried to get in our room only that the chain stopped her. I went to complain at the front desk as the maid didn't understand Swedish or English. and the man at reception said he would tell the maid not to come in if the sign is on the door. Next morning rash had got worst. we went out for lunch and came back and couldn't find the tv remote. searched whole room up and down all over in our bags everywhere no remote ! Went to the reception to say ummm wheres the tv remote. With explaing anything he goes to the back and then comes out and gives us our tv remote without explanation. awfull place left a bad feeling with us for the rest of the trip

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Robin H
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Traveling across Sweden had been full of promise and great adventure, until I ventured upon this hotel that is. I have never had such a shocking stay in a hotel establishment in my life.
To begin with, there was no person working in the reception when I arrived, the hotel looked to be dead inside. Then after a fifteen minute wait for staff to arrive I was charged 1000Kr or 100 POUNDS for a night there. I thought to myself, that for that amount of money (HIlton prices and up), the stay would be worth it and so I spent the money. I was assured I would have the best suite in the building. There was no working elevator and had to mount three floors with heavy suitcases. There was no lighting in the hallways, and I was surprised this building was actually open to the public. Upon arrival at my room, I quickly discovered there was no room telephone, no bathtub, no facilities such as coffee maker/alcoholic beverages, light refreshments etc. There was absolutely nothing in the room but a bed and a television. Oh and a wardrobe. The toilet left much to be desired also, there was no bathtub and the shower looked like it hadn't seen a cleaning any time in the last century.
After *stupidly* accepting it for what it was, I decided to make the best of a dire situation and laid my baggage down. About half an hour later I wondered whether there was any food on for an evening meal, especially after paying 100pounds. I had to go out to the hallway to make a call to what I thought was reception only to find it was a direct line to some person's house!!!!! I had no idea what was going on, it seems the hotel is not yet operating as an actual hotel!!!
I went out into the town to find a place to eat after the reception informed me that there is no food to be served in the hotel, nor breakfast.
That night was a disco in the downstairs of the hotel. I met many disgruntled people there whose opinions of the hotel and owner were less than kind. After my ordeal, I can say this is not a surprise. To expect more than 30pounds/300Kr for a night stay in this box is more than cheeky!!!
It's a real shame, my overall opinion is tarnished. As this building *could* be spectacular, being set in the heart of Mariestad, a town over 400 years old that has long held a top reputation for great service and historical attractions.
This hotel will bring the town down if it does not buck its ideas up and perhaps get a new owner. Under the current supervision, I doubt there is a hospitality bone in their body, this left somewhat to be desired in every sense.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
17  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while doing a road trip through Sweden. We had to stop somewhere, and we randomly chose Mariestad and this hotel.

First, while the building is clearly a bit old, and the elevator is a perfect example with pink carpet on the walls, they made extensive renovations of the rooms, the breakfast and bar area.

First, the room was very large compared to other rooms in Sweden/Norway. They had very modern furniture too. Unfortunately they didn't get around to renovating the bathroom, which was ok, but dated. The shows had very good water pressure but was not very attractive...

The breakfast was pretty good but we had to find someone to bring us more bread and milk.

They had free wifi and parking and very well located in the city, although we found there wasn't much to do in Mariestad... But it was just an evening stop for us. We had diner and watched tv!

Unfortunately we had a small incident with the service but it had nothing to do with our stay per se.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank psycho_dalia
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This hotel is not a good value for the money spent. Outdated decor, no blackout curtains, only one really thin pillow per person. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank helenesmajl
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, the entrance didn't feel like a hotel, the lady in reception was friendly enough but the room was horrible, messy and dirty, ripped wall paper and worn and crappy furniture, the view was really boring, looking over the car park at the back of the building, at a time when there we're no other guests then they could at least given us a room with a more pleasant view.
I should have looked at the room first, but I have never needed to do that in Sweden before, but will do in the future.
The breakfast, which are usually great in this country was very tasteless and boring.
The only things that saved the weekend was a great Indian restaurant we found in town.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Timmot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariestad
Hotel Wictoria
Karstorps Konferenscenter
Hotell Vanerport
Hotell Vanerport
#4 of 7 in Mariestad

Been to Mariestads Stadshotell? Share your experiences!