“Worst experience of my life”

Mariestads Stadshotell
Mariestads Stadshotell
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Mariestad
London
“Worst experience of my life”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Traveling across Sweden had been full of promise and great adventure, until I ventured upon this hotel that is. I have never had such a shocking stay in a hotel establishment in my life.
To begin with, there was no person working in the reception when I arrived, the hotel looked to be dead inside. Then after a fifteen minute wait for staff to arrive I was charged 1000Kr or 100 POUNDS for a night there. I thought to myself, that for that amount of money (HIlton prices and up), the stay would be worth it and so I spent the money. I was assured I would have the best suite in the building. There was no working elevator and had to mount three floors with heavy suitcases. There was no lighting in the hallways, and I was surprised this building was actually open to the public. Upon arrival at my room, I quickly discovered there was no room telephone, no bathtub, no facilities such as coffee maker/alcoholic beverages, light refreshments etc. There was absolutely nothing in the room but a bed and a television. Oh and a wardrobe. The toilet left much to be desired also, there was no bathtub and the shower looked like it hadn't seen a cleaning any time in the last century.
After *stupidly* accepting it for what it was, I decided to make the best of a dire situation and laid my baggage down. About half an hour later I wondered whether there was any food on for an evening meal, especially after paying 100pounds. I had to go out to the hallway to make a call to what I thought was reception only to find it was a direct line to some person's house!!!!! I had no idea what was going on, it seems the hotel is not yet operating as an actual hotel!!!
I went out into the town to find a place to eat after the reception informed me that there is no food to be served in the hotel, nor breakfast.
That night was a disco in the downstairs of the hotel. I met many disgruntled people there whose opinions of the hotel and owner were less than kind. After my ordeal, I can say this is not a surprise. To expect more than 30pounds/300Kr for a night stay in this box is more than cheeky!!!
It's a real shame, my overall opinion is tarnished. As this building *could* be spectacular, being set in the heart of Mariestad, a town over 400 years old that has long held a top reputation for great service and historical attractions.
This hotel will bring the town down if it does not buck its ideas up and perhaps get a new owner. Under the current supervision, I doubt there is a hospitality bone in their body, this left somewhat to be desired in every sense.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
17 Thank Sophie H

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while doing a road trip through Sweden. We had to stop somewhere, and we randomly chose Mariestad and this hotel.

First, while the building is clearly a bit old, and the elevator is a perfect example with pink carpet on the walls, they made extensive renovations of the rooms, the breakfast and bar area.

First, the room was very large compared to other rooms in Sweden/Norway. They had very modern furniture too. Unfortunately they didn't get around to renovating the bathroom, which was ok, but dated. The shows had very good water pressure but was not very attractive...

The breakfast was pretty good but we had to find someone to bring us more bread and milk.

They had free wifi and parking and very well located in the city, although we found there wasn't much to do in Mariestad... But it was just an evening stop for us. We had diner and watched tv!

Unfortunately we had a small incident with the service but it had nothing to do with our stay per se.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank psycho_dalia
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 20, 2011

This hotel is not a good value for the money spent. Outdated decor, no blackout curtains, only one really thin pillow per person. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank helenesmajl

Travelers are raving about these Mariestad hotels

Sweden
Reviewed February 16, 2010

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, the entrance didn't feel like a hotel, the lady in reception was friendly enough but the room was horrible, messy and dirty, ripped wall paper and worn and crappy furniture, the view was really boring, looking over the car park at the back of the building, at a time when there we're no other guests then they could at least given us a room with a more pleasant view.
I should have looked at the room first, but I have never needed to do that in Sweden before, but will do in the future.
The breakfast, which are usually great in this country was very tasteless and boring.
The only things that saved the weekend was a great Indian restaurant we found in town.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Timmot
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Unlike what the picture promises, this hotel is an ugly addendum to old building. According to info in the hotel it was renovated in 2002, but 1992 is more likely. The rooms are spacious and have solid doors, but that is about everything positive to say. Not very friendly staff. The information folder in the hotel told us about an old mill that was closed over 10 years ago. This hotel gave you the feeling it is just waiting for going out of business. We paid 950:- which is about twice as much as it was worth. Great location though (but then again it is difficult to find a bad location in Mariestad :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank bjorkby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariestad
Hotell Aqva
#3 of 7 in Mariestad
Appelgarden
Appelgarden
#2 of 7 in Mariestad

Been to Mariestads Stadshotell? Share your experiences!