“Excellent place to Stay in Gangtok”

Greendale Residence
Ranked #16 of 202 Gangtok B&B and Inns
India
“Excellent place to Stay in Gangtok”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I visited the property in May 2013 with my family - Parents, spouse and kids. Excellent property indeed!

Location: Location is pretty good, on the main highway - with a small disadvantage though! In daytime (probably 8am-8pm), any vehicle is not allowed to stop on the road even for a few seconds... that means if you are arriving in daytime and hotel's small parking area is full, you'll have to go to nearest designated common parking area, and will have to come back to the hotel with porters/ local taxi. In terms of vicinity to the main places, it is at a 10-15min (~1km) walking distance from MG Road.

Rooms: Brand new rooms with excellent quality (the hotel was started in Oct 2012). Linen is as good as any 5-star property. All furnishings are of high quality, and you enjoy being in the room. All basic amenities are available - including Tea-coffee maker. In terms of view, certainly the back-side valley-view rooms are good. Each floor is having four such rooms - the corner ones being super deluxe and the middle ones being deluxe. I certainly recommend to go for bigger Super-deluxe (corner rooms) if you have kids as they would get ample space to play around. Even with extra bed, the rooms are pretty spacious with outer windows on two sides. In case you are travelling in a group, you should opt for one Super-Deluxe and one deluxe, as those are interconnected from inside. Bathrooms are very clean with all basic toiletries.

Food: Hotel has a very good _PURE VEGETARIAN_ restaurant. Highlighting it as if you are fond of non-veg food, you might find this as a limitation, but still I would recommend staying in this hotel for it's all other positives (you can always have non-veg food elsewhere). On first day, we had our dinner at a restaurant on MG Road, but regretted it later, as found the food at hotel's restaurant much much better - that too with good ambience and peace around. Both Indian and continental dishes are equally good. Breakfast buffet is pretty rich, and I recommend not to miss that.

Staff/ Service: Again a big positive. Staff is very quick- both for room services (housekeeping or in-room dining) as well as restaurant. People at reception are very courteous. I mostly interacted with Vickey Chettri - a very humble person.

Travel services: Travel services are taken care by Milestone travels, which is a full-fledged travel agency (not mere a travel desk taking services from others). Named “Milestones”, it is housed on the ground floor in the same building. One of the best options in case you are planning for a North-Sikkim tour.

And, more to all this, owner of the hotel - Mr. Manoj Agrawal is an avid photographer who has captured the beauty of Sikkim and adjoining places with his camera, and has shared that in number of books published. We bought couple of good quality picture books at Darjeeling, and later found out (when arrived at Greendale) that those are published by MileStones only - the travel arm of Greendales, and contains photographs taken by Mr. Manoj only. We spent almost an hour chatting with him. Don't miss checking out some of his books at the lounge area.

Overall certainly a very good experience and I would surely recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Gangtok.

Tips:
- If you are a first time traveler to Gangtok, please be aware that the local taxis (which are also used for local sightseeing) are allowed to carry maximum of four passengers at a time. If you are five (which was the case with us), either you need to hire two taxis, or book one "ECCO" in advance which is allowed to carry six - but are available in a very few numbers.
- Also, another important thing is to carry a photo-ID with address for everybody - for the permits required to visit Nathula Pass/ Changu lake or North Sikim. PAN card won't do here as it does not contain address. Also carry 3-4 passport sized photographs.

Room Tip: As mentioned in review, I recommend the Super Deluxe rooms on first/ second floors. If a group requi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greendale_Residence, Owner at Greendale Residence, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Sir,
I am really grateful for your kind words.
I must thank you for the time spent for writing such an encouraging review. It is important as it gives us more happiness when a senior reviewer writes good about us.
I just pray God that we keep serving like the way we have done so far.
We look forward to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
kasaragod
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed in Greendale in the month of May 2013, it was a special month for me, since i got married to my beloved. Most of our family members stayed here and I must say it has been a memorable stay. With very few vegetarian hotels in Gangtok, I wouldn't hesitate to say that Greendale is 'The Best' place to stay at, especially for vegetarians like us. Mind you, they do have a bar as well, which i feel is very special since you don't find too many vegetarian restaurants serving alcohol.Since we were a huge group,we had booked both Deluxe and Super deluxe rooms.The rooms were spacious,clean,with a touch of local feel.What more do you want on a holiday than waking up amidst the lap of Mother Nature ? Yes I am talking about the valley view room of the hotel.Excellent service,courteous and efficient staff,lip smacking food of Hara Bhara(that is the name of the restaurant) are the things you can look forward to. We arranged the transport and local sight seeing from Holiday Milestones which happens to be the travel agency connected to the hotel. They even arranged Sikkim and Darjeeling tours for us. Great experience over all.

Room Tip: Ask for valley view room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your views about our small hotel.
I am particularly happy to learn that there are people who love the unique combination of pure veg. food with a small bar. Some hard core vegetarian people do object the presence of bar but it is a combination which makes sense to a lot of vegetarians too. We always ensure that the environment is never uncomfortable for the families too with the presence of bar.
We are happy for being a part of your new beginning, wish you and your beloved a life full of smiles always.
We hope to see you again.
Take care
New Delhi, India
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in jan 2013.
Very well maintained. Hotel in totality is very clean. Food quality is excellent. Staff well behaved.
Room size are XXL .
Nice view from the terrace.

Not too far from taxi stand or the market.
I would recommend if travelling with family.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sanjeevkuchhal
Thank you for rightly describing XXL room size and an overall very good rating for quality of food and service.
It is always special when it comes from a senior reviewer of Tripadvisor.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose this hotel on basis of its reviews which i think was the best thing to do. The hotel is actually clean and gives beautiful valley view from your room and Aasma. The staff should be praised above all as I think without them the stay wouldn't have been delightful. I asked for a birthday cake and a good cake was arranged. I would suggest the travel desk to help the guests more with few options like cab sharing for sight seeing, if there are some guests who want to do so. The food is nice and I really appreciate the restaurant staff as they are quite attentive towards guests whether they have taken their meals or not which is a really nice gesture. I was totally thrilled to see the size of the room and its arrangement (for ex: an extra diwan is placed at one side of the room which is additional benefit for a guest who has come with family) and felt that the price for that room is worth it. I will give a big thumbs up to this hotel for all the efforts they are taking in, to make us happy!

Room Tip: Choose a valley facing room and enjoy the view. I will definitely suggest to enjoy a dinner or few d...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, I noticed that you have mentioned about cabs on sharing basis, I would particularly like to mention here that we have purposely never encouraged the sharing cabs as it saves money but is very inconvenient due to 1) peculiar settings here in Gangtok 2) each guest has their own preferences and timings which becomes bad experience for others. We have seen very unpleasant scenes with other travel operators and hotels.

In fact through this response I highly recommend to always opt for exclusive vehicles when travelling in Sikkim if you can afford.

Thank you for noticing the extra Diwan in the large rooms.

We always brief our staff to treat each of the guests equal making them feel at home. Fortunately we have a good team with a capable lead.

Our efforts are always aimed for the comfort and an experience to remember.

Thank you once again and looking forward to your more visits.
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Good, nice, cosy hotel. Theme of the hotel and the concepts inside the rooms are eye catching. Rooms are good but great if you get a hill view room. Staffs were efficient and courteous. Front desk is very courteous and friendly. The travel desk is good and honest. Food has to improve. Very very near to MG Road.

Room Tip: Mountain facing on the first floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Sir,
I am sad that my people could not impress with the food quality.
Probably it was a bad day for us.
We will see to it that we don't let down others.
Thank you for your overall good review
Mehsana, India
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I along with my wife stayed in Greendale Residence at Gangtok. Hotel is newly constructed and is on the National Highway. MG Road is walkable distance from the Hotel. Rooms are spacious and clean and facing valley. Reception/front desk service is excellent. Hotel also has a travel desk providing good service. Food price and quality is a bit lower as compared to lodging.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Dear Mr. Ajay
Thank you for your review.
We always keep putting our efforts to improve the quality of food as well as everything else in the hotel.
I do agree that at times we may not meet your expectation but our approach is always positive for improvements.
Hope you will change your mind when you visit next.
Jaipur, India
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed with family for one day. It is a beautiful and clean hotel. The linen was great: 5 star quality. Staff was efficient and courteous. The restaurant is a little slow, I guess. They took a lot of time to serve and..it is only vegetarian. The hotel is walkable distance from the MG Marg and the valley facing rooms would provide an excellent view. Overall, a great experience and we were unhappy that we had to vacate in one day as rooms were not available any longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mam
Your review speaks of everything.
I thank you for your special note about our quality of linen. We have been trying to provide the best in a small town like Gangtok with limited sources.

Great to hear the appreciation.

Sad that the restaurant did not impress you much due to little slow service, probably you happened to be around during the rush hour. I am sorry for the inconvenience faced.

I am sorry again that you had to leave early due to non availability of the room. It is always advisable to book in advance to avoid such inconvenience.

Thank you for your kind words.