I visited the property in May 2013 with my family - Parents, spouse and kids. Excellent property indeed!
Location: Location is pretty good, on the main highway - with a small disadvantage though! In daytime (probably 8am-8pm), any vehicle is not allowed to stop on the road even for a few seconds... that means if you are arriving in daytime and hotel's small parking area is full, you'll have to go to nearest designated common parking area, and will have to come back to the hotel with porters/ local taxi. In terms of vicinity to the main places, it is at a 10-15min (~1km) walking distance from MG Road.
Rooms: Brand new rooms with excellent quality (the hotel was started in Oct 2012). Linen is as good as any 5-star property. All furnishings are of high quality, and you enjoy being in the room. All basic amenities are available - including Tea-coffee maker. In terms of view, certainly the back-side valley-view rooms are good. Each floor is having four such rooms - the corner ones being super deluxe and the middle ones being deluxe. I certainly recommend to go for bigger Super-deluxe (corner rooms) if you have kids as they would get ample space to play around. Even with extra bed, the rooms are pretty spacious with outer windows on two sides. In case you are travelling in a group, you should opt for one Super-Deluxe and one deluxe, as those are interconnected from inside. Bathrooms are very clean with all basic toiletries.
Food: Hotel has a very good _PURE VEGETARIAN_ restaurant. Highlighting it as if you are fond of non-veg food, you might find this as a limitation, but still I would recommend staying in this hotel for it's all other positives (you can always have non-veg food elsewhere). On first day, we had our dinner at a restaurant on MG Road, but regretted it later, as found the food at hotel's restaurant much much better - that too with good ambience and peace around. Both Indian and continental dishes are equally good. Breakfast buffet is pretty rich, and I recommend not to miss that.
Staff/ Service: Again a big positive. Staff is very quick- both for room services (housekeeping or in-room dining) as well as restaurant. People at reception are very courteous. I mostly interacted with Vickey Chettri - a very humble person.
Travel services: Travel services are taken care by Milestone travels, which is a full-fledged travel agency (not mere a travel desk taking services from others). Named “Milestones”, it is housed on the ground floor in the same building. One of the best options in case you are planning for a North-Sikkim tour.
And, more to all this, owner of the hotel - Mr. Manoj Agrawal is an avid photographer who has captured the beauty of Sikkim and adjoining places with his camera, and has shared that in number of books published. We bought couple of good quality picture books at Darjeeling, and later found out (when arrived at Greendale) that those are published by MileStones only - the travel arm of Greendales, and contains photographs taken by Mr. Manoj only. We spent almost an hour chatting with him. Don't miss checking out some of his books at the lounge area.
Overall certainly a very good experience and I would surely recommend this hotel to anybody travelling to Gangtok.
- If you are a first time traveler to Gangtok, please be aware that the local taxis (which are also used for local sightseeing) are allowed to carry maximum of four passengers at a time. If you are five (which was the case with us), either you need to hire two taxis, or book one "ECCO" in advance which is allowed to carry six - but are available in a very few numbers.
- Also, another important thing is to carry a photo-ID with address for everybody - for the permits required to visit Nathula Pass/ Changu lake or North Sikim. PAN card won't do here as it does not contain address. Also carry 3-4 passport sized photographs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greendale Residence is a new deluxe hotel with 21 excellent rooms, (9 Super Deluxe & 12 Deluxe rooms). The property was inaugurated on 17th October 2012. Situated less than a kilometer away from M.G Marg of Gangtok - the most convenient and popular shopping and business hub. The hotel rooms are tastefully decorated, with all modern amenities. Each room is designed to meet the basic comfort & necessity of the guest. An in-house pure vegetarian restaurant 'Hara Bhara', with facility for Jain food on demand serves delicious Indian, Chinese and Continental food. Along with vegetarian food hotel does have an in-house bar 'Taatopaani' offering most of the usual beverages and our signature cocktails. For the convenience of the groups preferring non-vegetarian food, arrangements can be done with hotels opposite ours and nearby (few steps away). NON VEG. FOOD IS STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED INSIDE THE HOTEL AND THE MANAGEMENT IS VERY STRICT ABOUT THIS. A separate kitchen and a separate dining hall for around 50-60 pax is available for groups with their own cooking team, only pure veg cooking is allowed though. 'Aasmaa' a roof top sit out is an additional feature of this property offering 180 degree view of Mt. Khangchenzonga range and green valleys. The property is being managed by experienced professionals of the hospitality industry in the region. In case if you are not in an organized package tour of a travel agent and need last minute transport assistance, you may contact Mr. Suren Gurung for all your transport requirement. He is a reliable operator in the region. However, please note, your arrangements with him will be independent without Greendale's involvement. 'Laddoo Gopal' - Sweets, Snacks & Fast Food parlour (our sister concern) is ideally located for the convenience of the tourists travelling to & fro NJP or Bagdogra or Siliguri. Do visit for delicious food and high quality sweets ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Greendale Residence Gangtok, Sikkim