After a long and tiring jeep trip from Shiliguri to Darjeeling to Gangtok we found a nice clean peaceful oldstylish but well repaired good hotell. Nice and stylish. Good vue over the city and valley, from the pleasent little garden. Very nice and helpful staaf. And just 10min walk to the market place. And the food, more than ok for an non-indian. But you can probably look fore some more exciting reastaurants in the city. As my summery - if you have traveled so far, stay for some days in this oasis!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elgin Nor-Khill ("the house of jewels")is known for its tradition and ethnic Sikkimese ambiance. It is now a luxury heritage property. The Kanchan garden affords a rich view of the hills with the Mount Kanchenjungha in the background, which inspired the Chogyal (King) of Sikkim to paint for hours. The Elgin Nor-Khill was built by the King of Sikkim in 1932 and is the oldest heritage property in Gangtok, the property has played host to numerous celebrity guests such as his holiness The Dalai Lama, Hollywood stars Sir Richard Gere, Michael Douglas and Shirley Maclaine, the US Ambassador to India His Excellency John Galbraith and many more. The lobby is resplendent in the bright folk Sikkimese art with design motifs depicting dragons and flame symbols to thankas and ornate Sikkimese furniture (bachu, chocsue) and traditional jewelry. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your The Elgin Nor-Khill, Gangtok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elgin Nor-Khill Gangtok Hotel Gangtok
- Nor Khill Gangtok
- The Elgin Nor-Khill, Gangtok Sikkim