“Overall Average hotel and unorganised.....Nice room view and location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gangtok
Himalayan Retreat Cum Resort
Ranked #55 of 120 Hotels in Gangtok
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Not sure why the hotel is ranked # 9 in Gangtok....Here are couple of pros and cons of staying in hotel from my perspective...
Pros :
1.) The owner "Bishnu" does get things done eventually when followed up regularly...
2.) The rooms are fine and has nice view
3.) About 2 km from Mg road /Taxi stand etc. and can easily go anywhere using a local taxi...
4.) Room and food prices are value for money...
Cons:
1.) The owner "Bishnu" does the booking in very unorganized fashion. No email confirmation is done. We booked on phone a room for 4 people and even then after reaching there he send us to a sister hotel "Himshikha Residency" saying he only has double rooms....
2.) BE WARNED : Bishnu sometimes does not inform the guests in advance and may send them to Himshikha Residency (near Himalayan retreat hotel) This is what he did to us....The owner of Himshikha Residency (Subhash) is one big megalomaniac and overcharges for everything ....Subhash ( Owner of Himshikha Residency ) did not even offer to change the room even though the geyser was not working (he had empty rooms then) .Please ensure that when you book make it clear you want to stay in Himalayan Retreat and not any sister hotel . He only has double rooms .
3.) You have to follow up many times with Bishnu to get small things done like cab bookings etc.
4.) If you are booking cabs through Bishnu then double check the rates with your drivers and what points/spots you are going to visit . Our driver asked for more money even though I had already negotiated the same with Bishnu.
5.) Bishnu is not process oriented and hence the aforesaid issues. If I am on a trip I would like to have hassle free service and not call up ten times to remind the hotel owner for basic stuff.
6.) From next time I will stick to Top 5 hotels in Tripadvisor else not make the trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Abhishek S

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have spent 5 days here. First of all, manager here is best for his service. I liked him very much. Rooms are good enough, spacious. Room service is very good.
This hotel is located at good place, view from the hotel is very good.
Hotel owner has taken care of our trips to Lachung, nathulaa etc..
I would like visit gangtok every year and stay at the same hotel.

Room Tip: I have requested for view side and manager arranged for the same.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank srids
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I found Himalayan Retreat on TripAdvisor in early May, and as it had extremely good reviews for a budget hotel, I booked it by paying a small advance deposit around May 10th, for my family's stay in Gangtok from June 3 to June 8.
Then on May 21st came this really negative review - giving this hotel only 2 stars out of 5 and that really frightened the daylights out of me! In fact, I was so afraid that I would not be able to enjoy my trip to Sikkim that I anxiously wrote down the contact details of other hotels, just in case this hotel lacked water and food as that reviewer claimed!

Thankfully, none of that happened. As I later found out, that had just been a bad time in Gangtok (when there really had been no water in the city, for many hotels alike).

Based on my stay here, I found this hotel SUPERBLY comfortable. Wonderful help, hospitality and organization skills by the Manager, Mr. Bishnu Raul, and delicious (and very affordable!) cooking and room service from the 3 cooks - Poojan, Vishal and sorry-I-forgot-the-third-name(!). The rooms had a gorgeous view of the hills, were spacious and well-lit (see my pictures!), had television and large toilets with excellent water supply (both hot and cold, thanks to the well-functioning electric geysers). Given the good quality and cleanliness, excellent view and homely look of the rooms, I found it hard to believe that we were paying only Rs. 700 for each. We could easily afford 2 deluxe rooms at that rate (as we were 4 adults), and had a very enjoyable stay.

The best part of my day in Gangtok was waking up before 5 in the morning to see complete daylight (we didn't need to turn on the lights during the day thanks to the wide French windows in our room). Ordering hot tea (thank you Pooran!) and sipping it in our bed as we looked out at the beautiful mountains and the green garden below was such a refreshing, relaxing way to start the day. (Of course, most of the rest of our day was spent in a 4-wheeler, driving around beautiful sights in Sikkim, from Ganesh Tok to Hanuman Tok to Flower Show to Rumtek, etc.!)

I would really recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget stay in Gangtok. By the way, the distance and location of this hotel, being in Upper Sichey, is NOT an issue in a city as small as Gangtok. I too had my apprehensions about staying approximately 3 km away from M.G. Road (the main road in Gangtok) as it seemed like it would be unsafe and lonely. But Mr. Bishnu was very helpful and effective at arranging for our sightseeing and travel around Sikkim at very reasonable rates and at Rs. 60 we could hire a taxi whenever we felt like visiting MG Road, which took about 10 minutes drive.

In fact, we only needed to visit MG Road twice, as it is a noisy shopping and eating district but nothing more interesting. The atmosphere around our hotel on the other hand was more peaceful (being surrounded by quaint houses instead of shops!) and quiet and it felt wonderful returning to rest here after a busy day spent in sightseeing, shopping and eating out in crowded places. I really feel sorry for those that had to live in overpriced, tiny rooms in cramped hotels on MG Road without breathing space or a view.

Towards the last few days of our stay (June 7 and June 8) it was raining heavily in Gangtok and there was a cloudy mist in the mornings. Mr. Bishnu arranged for an experienced Qualis driver who got us safely to the airport on time. Despite us leaving early in the morning (6 am), the cook whipped up a scrumptious omelette-toast for breakfast so we wouldn't go hungry on the 4.5-hour journey.

If you're looking for outstanding hospitality at a pocket-friendly price, and love the smell of fresh air and the sight of a good mountain view from your windows, I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 302 was very well-lit. Room 304 had a better view due to the direction of the windows (even 302...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank TravellikerDelhi
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I just returned from Gangtok and stayed in hotel for two days - 16th and 19th May. This was my second trip to Gangtok and last time I stayed at Cherry Guest House and Hidden Forest Retreat. This time our intention was to spend little less and find a budget accommodation since we planned to spend only two nights, returning from our East Sikkim and North Sikkim Tours.

On 16th, we had water supply in our room for only 2-3 hours. We had to request the stuffs badly to have some buckets filled and they did that only for 2-3 times. Since we were 7 people total, that was certainly not enough and we even had to buy mineral water bottles and use that in toilets. hen we asked the reason of this, they said it is due to a landslide which resulted poor water supply to whole Gangtok town and not just to this hotel.

When we again returned back to this hotel on 19th, we experienced the same issue and there was almost no water supply and this time the manager (Mr. Bishnu) said the situation is like this for some time, specially during peak tourist seasons.

Although this hotel has a restaurant, you will not get good quality food. Manager said they will not be able to provide anything more than bread-butter since there is no water in hotel.

When we were returning to NJP, we asked hotel manager to arrange a car for us which he immediately agreed. We asked hi to have the car ready at 1PM as we had tickets for Darjeeling Mail (to Sealdah, Kolkata) and we thought to visit Siliguri market once. We were waiting for some time and there was no car. Finally the car came at 2.30PM. fortunately we had some time and this did not cause any issue but we had to drop the plan to visit the market.

We had to ask multiple times to get soaps or towel and those were not given when we entered in the room.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. If you are planning to book this, please make sure water supply is there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sankmik
Reviewed May 20, 2012

verygood stay at himalaya retreat. strongly recomeding to stay there. specious room and clean.hotwater available round the clock. cheap and best hotel . also foods are very good and tastee. staffs are very co-ordial specifically bishu raul is. he is the genuine and always acts on customer favour. he is also arranging the vehicle cost to cost basis no margin usally they have kept. as i understand most people are booking this hotel verbally and subsequent they getting diverted to broker or some other hotel but i can say realy they missed to take advantages of this hotel/mr.bishnu. we stayed there 5days but never feel that we are out of familiy.

bishnu babu
thanx for support and guidance
suresh panda
bhubaneswar

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had been in Himalayan Retreat and Resort in April, 2012 and stayed there for 5 days with family. The rooms are spacious. The double-bed room allotted to us was such a big that four persons can sleep with comfort. There is good view of the surroundings. The food provided is delicious and its like homely food. Mr. Bishnu Raul, Manager of the Hotel takes very good care of the guests. He also arranges for a vehicle at reasonable rate. He also arranges for accommodations at other destinations/places at reasonable rate. Though the hotel is little away from the main market, it is not that very far away from market and considering the room tariff, it is worth staying there.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have been in Himalayan Retreat this month . The manager Mr. Bishnu Raul is a great person .I strongly recommend any person to visit there.The only low side of this hotel is that it is away from the main market .The food they cook is very delicious. They can also arrange for a vehicle which is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple