“Amazing!”
Review of Hotel Sagorika

Hotel Sagorika
Ranked #40 of 118 Hotels in Gangtok
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I visited Gangtok after nearly 33 years and was quite apprehensive about staying in a hotel. I checked a number of hotels online and zeroed in on sagorika as I felt like home away from home. I want the Thank Navin, Sagar and the entire family for making me feel welcome and at home. All me needs and requirements were tended too. EXCELLENT !!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 5, 2011

the hotel is good but there is no electric backup. no proper facility of hot water that was frustrating. room service was good but lazy thrice we have ordered a cup of tea and every time the tea served was cold. super delux room are non mountain facing so again frustrating.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank studentabhijeet
Sagorika, Owner at Hotel Sagorika, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

We would like to inform that we have the electric back up and for that we have in house generator . The guest who said that no electric back up reason was that , particularly on that day coz of technical problem generator dint get started and whole day couldn't supply the electricity but on that day only by evening it got sorted out and electric supply was normal

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Hi,
Hotel Sagorika is really a good hotel and really a Value for Money.
It's reasonable in price and best in quality. Rooms are very clean, neat, well decorated and staff is very cooperative. Food quality is really good and price is within limits.
Near to the main road and 10 mins from the Mall Road.

Room Tip: Book atleast a Delux room. They are well decorated, ventilated and large in size.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was my third trip to Gangtok...and the best so far...mostly because of the Hotel I choose this time. The rates are moderate...good quality food and nice room.
The hospitality of the support staffs are simply outstanding. They arranged cabs,cars and every other things we needed. You can definitely arranged all these through any Hotel if you are ready to pay..but it definitely matters the response and cooperation you are getting from them.
You can also book through internet and can be absolutely sure about the service you will get.
I will recommend Hotel Sagorika to all my friends who are travelling Gangtok.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2011

It was my first trip to Gangtok (Sept 2011) and had booked 2 nights since I was skeptical how this hotel would be (we were a couple with a 1 and half yr old kid). I had booked a Super Deluxe Room. The room was provided on the 3rd floor (please note there are no lifts). The room was big, very spacious, large windows with enough natural light. Unfortunately, we didn't have a view of the mountains from the room.The room and the bath/toilet were sparkling clean. For great views, we'd go to the terrace (a floor above) and enjoy the views (see the attached pictures). Since this was an off season, the owner gave me 40% discount and I extended my stay for another 2 nights there. The manager was quite helpful in arranging local sightseeing trips, arranged a trip to Nathula and even arranged our drop back to NJP station, all at very competitive rates. The food in the hotel was good, order them early because they take some time to prepare and deliver in the room. I found Gangtok to be amazing and the people nice and welcoming. Overall had a enjoyable stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for off-season discounts. Do ask for travel rates from other operators apart from the one provi...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed here with my wife in a deluxe room (EP) @ Rs 7920/= total.for four nights, in first week of October 2011. I had to make the booking at the last moment, because my own official guest house at Gangtok had been damaged by the earthquake. But I need not have worried. The hotel was devoid of guests, but even then, the management was hesitant to upgrade my room. I had selected this particular hotel, after reading the mostly positive feedback of travelers in this very site. And going through the impressive website of the hotel itself. In truth, it is nothing more than a B&B joint, situated in a dark and steep lane in Gangtok. The 'deluxe' room was dingy, with a tiny cupboard, a portable color tv and over-sized cane furniture. Believe it or not, the first thing I did was to re-arrange some of the furniture, and throw out one cane sofa out in the landing, to make way for some leg space in the tiny 'deluxe' room. The 'terrace' was nothing but a roof, with water tanks, 2 shabby plastic tables and few faded plastic chairs. People hang up their clothes here to dry, so the terrace is not at all a sophisticated place to chill out, as made out to be in the website.

The stewards were friendly enough, and the shopping centers of MG Road and Lal Bazar were nearby. The vegetarian breakfast was limited to aloo subzi or aloo / paneer paratha, which were freshly prepared and reasonable priced. Rest items in the menu were over-priced, but that is common to most eating joints in Gangtok. Paneer and aloo (cottage cheese and potato) rule the roost, and there is acute shortage of green vegetables - based dishes in Gangtok restaurants, although the markets themselves have lots of green vegetables for sale. The hotel menu did not have any Sikkimese-style fare to offer, and a bowl of noodle soup ordered by my wife turned out to be utter rubbish.

In short, grossly over-priced, dingy and certainly not worth visiting again. A bread & breakfast joint, in the middle of a residential area, touting itself to be a 'hotel'. Early, each morning, we would be awakened by banging, hymn-singing, clashing of cymbals, loading of transport trucks, a bell tolling and God-knows what.. I would be reminded of a Hollywood comedy film, My Cousin Vinny. I had never thought that I would face a similar situation like Vinny one day.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with a view of the valley. Some of the rooms face gutters, back lanes etc.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Sagorika, Owner at Hotel Sagorika, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear Sir/Mam,

The review written by the guest is completely untrue and also unfair in regard of Hotel business.
Genearally in the month of Oct most of hotel gets over booking because of festive season and so people used to book in advance only but this year because earthquake(18th Sep 2011) most of hotels were having very few rooms as we had.
When guest checkd in hotel they found that most of the rooms are vacant so they asked for upgrade the room but without paying extyra amount and we refused and they threand that they write the bad review on travel portal and they did which means simly blackmailing.

Now the clarification :
1. As festive season at that time we dont offer any discount but when guest checked in hotel they expected discount but we dint provide the discount so now in review they are saying that the amount which they paid was not the value of money which is untrue
2. Hotel is located on the slope of raod but not on the steep height of the lane.
3. Without paying extra amount if we refuse to upgrade the room then any can write anything on portal site which i think you should consider for the shake of the busienss of any hotel.
4. Our rooms are really neat and claen and spacious and bathroom with all modern amenities and hyegenic , so how can any one say its dingy ? its completely untrue.
5. In the Gangtok every where Garbage people come in the early morning to collect the garbage and they used to ring a bell and that happens every where in Gnagtok . So i thing this not real reason to say any hotel bad located.

I hope that i was able to clarify my views and hope that you will understand the same and will do the needful or else next time also any one will come in hotel and can blackmail that if i dint upgrade their room withoiut getting extra amount then they will write the bad review.

Thanks and Regards,
Navin Kumar Singh

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We had booked two rooms for 3 nights in Sagorika in June and our stay was comfortable and service was excellent. The location of the hotel was a little difficult for my old parents, but enjoyed going back and forth from Hotel to MG road...The rooms are clean and staff was cooperative.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family