“The best Dosas & Chutney's I ever had”

Sri Mani Kandan Mess
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Karaikal
Madurai
“The best Dosas & Chutney's I ever had”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was on a business trip to Karaikal and my friend suggested we go to Sri Mani Kandan mess. First I was a bit skeptical when I saw the place from outside. But upon entering the mess, I found the place to be very clean and the well maintained heritage looks of the place told this is one place that should have lasted long. And yes, when I asked the owner Mr.Packrisamy, he said it's 27 years old.

My friend ordered a Spinach Dosa and said its a must try! We did and GOD... the best kind of Dosa I've ever had. The spinach is called MUDAKKATHAN in Tamil (Its botanical name is Cardiospermum halicababum. It is a woody perennial climbing plant with large ornamental seed pods that resemble balloons. Hence it is called BALLOON VINE in English) which is a well known healer for joint pains in siddha medicine and usually is bitter in taste. But here they had prepared it along with small onions that the taste was so delicious and i couldn't stop with one.

The best part was the four different kind of chutney's and the sambar they served along. The server was very attentive and stood by us and took good care. Very hospitable people. They served coconut chutney, malli chutney, a very spicy chilli chutney and tomato chutney. All of them tasted so heavenly.

In the mean time we also ordered kesari, a sweet. And wow... one of the best Kesari I had in recent times. Flavored with cashews, it was too good. And our second order was Podi Dosai, a Dosai sprinkled with a little spicy Idly Powder(a mixture of various spices). They also had small onion mixed along and it tasted even better. My friend said you should taste their Idli, poori, pongal and the list was going too long. But my appetite was well satisfied already and I decided to come back on my next trip to taste their other dishes.

Being a foody, I talked with the owner Mr.Packrisamy a humble man and thanked for the wonderful food we were served. And I thanked my friend for showing such a nice veg restaurant in Karaikal that my taste buds would never forget what they served here!

• Visited March 2014