“It cannot be better”

Ranked #37 of 74 Hotels in Pondicherry
Chennai (Madras), India
“It cannot be better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at la maison a couple of days back, and I am so much impressed with the service and the beauty of the place that I have planned a second trip very soon!! Trust me! this place is the best you'll find in Pondicherry. Excellent service, superb decor and awesome rooms.

I stayed in the room Cat's Eye, and it was amazing experience. The room was connected to the terrace and had really good place for a sit out. I loved almost everything about the place, the wooden ceiling and steps. the antiques used for decor , room's design and arrangements were all far exceeding expecations.

I was also very much impressed by the service the staff provided at la maison. There was an urgent need for a medicine, and when i contacted the hotel staff they said they do not have a medicine but offered to get it for me. It was 10 PM in the night and the medicine was delivered to my room in 15 minutes. at one other time i did not want to eat anything which was on their menu and i wished to have egg fried rice and the staff prepared it for me, also it tasted really good. I remember the names of the most friendly guys Ram and selva , really good people.

Really good place, staff and service. Enjoyed the 2 day trip. Thanks.

Room Tip: If you can afford choose the duplex rooms, otherwise go for cat's eye!! that room is fantabulous...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review about the La Maison Tamoule heritage hotel in Pondicherry.

It is heartening to learn that you had a comfortable stay in the Cat’s Eye room.

We are delighted to receive your feedback, and have conveyed your appreciation to the entire team at Pondicherry. We thank you for your visit and look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay.

friendofneemrana@neemranahotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

By far, the best holiday experience till now and most of it is credited to La Maison Tamoule, from the first experience till we left, it was an amazing experience. I traveled with my wife, and we stayed for 6 days we travelled during 2nd Week of April 2013, thus climate was fairly good.

The best part :
Heritage property, we choosed a duplex room, and I suggest everybody to choose this room for an unforgetable experience, its just a kind of thing u generally dont get anywhere.
Staff par Excellence, I felt like living in my own mansion, with the staff it felt like d king you want to be, Personally, "Ram" was brilliant, with his religiously dedication towards his service.

Good part :
Food, it was just right, not flooded with typical stuffs, rather just exquisite savory dishes, you would just like to try once in a while, then the breakfast was just too rich in terms of quality and freshness you would forget you are on vaccation.

Improvents : None,

This is the finest properties so far, it gives as it promises, the prices are reasonable and I am glad I choosed this for my stay in pondicherry.

Room Tip: Yellow Sapphire or Emerald, because its a duplex room, and you will enjoy this really well, if its j...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank globediscovery
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and appreciative review about the La Maison Tamoule heritage hotel in Pondicherry.

It is heartening to learn that you had a comfortable stay at the property and thoroughly enjoyed the concept.

Your compliments about the hospitality have been conveyed to the entire team at Pondicherry. We have also conveyed your appreciation about the food to the Chef.

The 28 Neemrana 'non- hotel' Hotels across India are instrumental in and custodians of much of India's restored and revitalised architectural heritage. Seven hundred years of history, await humbly for you to extract all the joys of travelling and living out the essence of India in all its nobility and simplicity.

Panjim, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is a tamilian house which has been done up by the Neemrana group. Its a lovely heritage property. They have maintained most of the original design with minimum invasive alterations which I highly appreciate.

As a result the rooms are a bit small for a family of 4. The bathroom also is tiny. They have put in innovative ideas like putting the bed on a loft which my kids thought was quite cool. There were larger rooms which we somehow missed out during our booking. There was a slight musty smell when we entered.

The staff is wonderful and very helpful. We had a problem with our airconditioner but it was attended to immediately. In fact our friends in the next room were shifted to another room immediately.

The location is excellent and is walking distance to the french quarter and the beach promenade. It is also on a very quiet street in between 2 busy roads. The food is ok and I didn't find it exceptional. Their home made ice cream was really nice but they soon ran out of it.

All said and done a good stay.

Room Tip: The rooms have no numbers but names. Ask for the larger rooms without the loft beds
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about the La Maison Tamoule heritage hotel in Pondicherry.

Neemrana not only strives to revive and restore heritage structures but also generates jobs and economic reforms for locals by hiring local peoples. Your compliments about the warm hospitality have been conveyed to them.

Do inform our Sales team about your requirements and they shall gladly assist you in finding a suitable room whenever you stay with us next.

We have noted your other observations and have already taken the necessary steps to improve upon the same. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you at our 28 properties across India !

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

We stated here for two nights.It is in the Tamil Quarter ( Pondi has Tamil & Portuguese Qtr).It is very near to the buzzing market place.The steet is a residential area.The room was decent.Breakfast spread can be worked on.Would recommend people to choose room wisely,ours was on the top floor and we had to climb two floor high plinth stairs.Overall experience was ok but the feel could have been better.Though it was value for money.

• Stayed February 2013
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your observations regarding the breakfast have been noted and we shall be taking the requisite action at the earliest. It is our endeavour to constantly improve our services and feedback such as yours helps us to do so.

We thank you for your visit and look forward to welcoming you at our 28 properties across India.

Chelmsford, Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I'm torn between rating this hotel 'average' and 'very good', for while it wasn't average, it certainly wasn't 'very good'. The hotel was beautiful, with terracotta tiles and a courtyard just like a typical South Indian house. Its winning points were the street it was located on (stunning, heritage homes) and the restaurant. However, I'd give it an 'average' rating because the room we were given was so dusty I could smell the dust from the moment we entered the room. The bedside lamps and ceiling fan had a thick layer of dust. Despite the poor maintenance, I'd definitely recommend the hotel and would stay there again just to sit at the veranda and stare dreamily at the heritage homes!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the location and cuisine of the property.

Your feedback has been conveyed to the housekeeping department and they shall ensure better maintenance going forth.

We thank you for your visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon !

Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I read the "Filthy" review before my trip and it gave me pause. I am at La Maison Tamoule right now and my experience is the exact opposite. The "Filthy" review says there were bloodstains on the walls from mosquito kills. Bunk.

This is like all the other Neemrana hotels. It is a charming architectural connection to a prior time. The staff is extraordinarily polite and eager to provide anything you need. Since the hotel is new, they have not yet obtained their liquor license. A staff member went out and purchased beer and wine for us.

The food here at the hotel is good. The food in Ponducherry overall is outstanding, with many great restaurants and lots of European influence on the menus. We went to the sister hotel, Hotel de L'Orient, for dinner. It was an extraordinary meal at a very reasonable price. We are used to spending quite a bit more in Delhi.

The street the hotel is on is in transition, as properties are being restored. It is architecturally rich and while some buildings may be in disrepair, you can see the former beauty. This is an excellent spot to explore from.

My only complaint is the Internet service being a bit spotty. It works, just slow at times. If you are desperate for a good connection, go to the second floor lobby. Wireless routers are located there and your signal strength will improve.

I recommend this hotel as delightful and well above average.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Basman71
NeemranaHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Neemrana's - La Maison Tamoule, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your encouraging review about the La Maison Tamoule heritage hotel in Pondicherry.

We are pleased to read about your experience at the property. This is exactly what we strive to achieve.

Your compliments about the service and the hospitality have been conveyed to the Manager and his team.

It is heartening to learn that you enjoyed the cuisine at both La Maison Tamoule and Hotel de l’Orient. Your appreciation has been conveyed to the Chefs at both the properties.

We thank you for your continued patronage and look forward to welcoming you at our 28 properties across India.

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Having stayed in a Neemrana non-Hotel Hotel earlier, I had great expectations from this property.
This property lies in a very narrow street, the way streets were during early part of the century.
We would have definitely missed it, if not for the sharp memory of my spouse for remembering this during our previous visit.
There is no parking provided by this hotel, just like most of the hotels in Pondicherry.
I parked my car by the side of the road. We checked into the Hotel. There was no welcome drink as described by one of the travelers.
We were shown into our room. The room was on the 2nd level. There was a bathtub and a closet in the bathroom. The room was like any other room at Neemrana, the typical furniture style and placement.
They provide an English as well as south Indian breakfast. We also ordered our food from our suite for dinner. The dinner was a decent fare.
Overall I would rate this as a decent place as the ambiance resembled the houses I used to stay in while growing up and I really those days..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review about the La Maison Tamoule heritage hotel in Pondy.

We are pleased to learn that you had a comfortable stay at the property.

However, the team at the property has been pulled up as they should have provided a welcome drink upon arrival.

We hope that as you continue to travel with Neemrana, you’ll find more to tell us about.