Le Dupleix
Palais de Mahe(Pondicherry)
$139
$132
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe penthousemango treeheritage hotelwhite towncourtyard restaurantsister hotelfrench quarterrecommend leold world charmsarovar groupheritage feelno elevatorcolonial erafour poster bedtop floorfirst floorcharming hotel
Reviewed January 23, 2010

great looking french colonial structure . excellent food and rooms are very different in their look. was a great stay and would request one and all to have this experience if a stay to pondy is planned.

sheetal

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2010

Perfect hotel rooms, clean property, helpful staff, parking space available. There were no facilities for drivers wash rooms. Food was good but slightly over-priced.
Will visit again. 2 minutes walk from the beach. Decent selection of wines too.
No elevators though so you need to climb the stairs.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Great location on a quiet street just 5 to 10 minutes walk to promenade. Former mansion of the mayor of Pondicherry. Be sure to read the menu which provides historical information on the namesake, Marquis Joseph Francois Dupleix and information on the restoration process. Beautiful building and courtyard. Be sure to check out the bed swing on the 1st floor.

Stayed in room 8. Large room and away from busy streets. Some of the rooms have outside verandas, number 8 did not. Which was fine, as there was a large internal courtyard and veranda and it was pleasantly quiet. Each room is unique and furnished with beautiful writing tables, beds and shuttered windows. The rooms were very clean. I have stayed in filthy supposed 4 star hotels in India, so always nice to stay where the staff clearly takes prides in providing the visitor with a clean room. The housecleaning, reception and front door staff were very pleasant. We had read a number of reviews about Pondicherry hotels where travelers complained about the towels - our towels appeared to be practically new.

My only issue is with the restaurant staff. One morning my husband and I both ordered poached eggs, toast and coffee. 15 minutes went by and my eggs came. 15 minutes later my toast came. 15 minutes after that my husband's eggs came to the table. Its not brain surgery to bring the eggs and toast together. The butter was disgusting. Clearly had been previously used with leftover toast remants still in the butter. Trying to get a refill on coffee was like pulling teeth. Only when I got up to get the coffee pot and pour for myself did someone pay attention.

The night of our arrival we had dinner in the restaurant. I ordered a pasta that was described as cooked with sausage, carrots, onions and tomatoes. When it was delivered there were yucky black olives. I rechecked the menu and there was no mention of black olives. I said this to the waiter who shrugged her shoulders. I asked her to take it back, as I don't eat olives and it would have been difficult to pick them out as they were everywhere. She made a big fuss, rolled her eyes and acted as if I had asked her to perform the most horrible of tasks. She didn't offer to get me something else or have the pasta remade without olives. About 15 minutes later the restaurant manager finally came to the table and asked if I wanted to cancel the order. Well duh!

So, stay here, but don't eat here, except the breakfast which came with the price of our room. This could be an exceptionally nice place if the owners would invest some time in training of their restaurant staff.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2009

i came to know about le dupleix through my very close friend who had recently celebrated their first wedding anniversary here.the way she was describing about the hotel was absolutely correct.i got everything the way i have expected.
the staff there was very well trained and experienced, know evry well how to keep the guest happy. everything was amazing,it seems to us that they knew us from a very well, it was like very well planned stay for us.
we celebrated our kids first B'day there as grand celebration.it was not us who was celebrating,it was the whole hotel joined with us,some of our local friends also joined us.
from the hotel side it was beyond expectation.we were so happy to see all that.
a big salute to the hotel and all the staff.wish them very best in future.keep it up always.
and im gonna defenitely recommend this hotel at my workplace and my other friends too.
THANK YOU ALL.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Very picturesque pretty hotel set in white town on Pondicherry. Walking distance to the sea front, other eateries, the ashram in town, Nehru street for shopping etc. I've been here lots of times with my friend and my partner. its both fun and romantic.

Nice food, nice in-house bar, lovely furniture all around, esp the unjal or swing on the first floor. Some rooms, as a lot of French-themed places, have open/semi-open loos, something to watch out when holidaying with friends. We were 4 people sharing 2 rooms and we ended up using the closed loo in the 2nd room most of the time.

Each room is done differently and has a lot of charm (apart from the open loo)., large picture windows give a feeling or even more space and light and air (although its too humid most of the time to remain without aircon). I'd advice to add in a ceiling fan in each room to be more eco-friendly and give also give ppl a break from living in aircon air all day.

No pool, no spa, no beach, no sea view.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends