“Excellent food, service, ambience”
Review of Le Dupleix

Le Dupleix
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Pondicherry
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent food, service, ambience”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I went to Le Dupleix's restaurant for a romantic dinner and boy, did it deliver. The food was great - I had a dish that consisted of fish, prawns and lobster and my wife had a vegetarian raviolli. Well cooked, and tastefully seasoned. The interiors were also very cosy and the service was punctual and courteous. A great date place!

Room Tip: We only went to the restaurant so can't help you here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Le Dupleix recently and thank you for your kind reply. I am happy that you enjoyed your evening with us and your appreciation of our cuisine has been conveyed to the Chef and his team. I do hope that upon your next visit to Pondicherry we will be able to welcome you to Le Dupleix once again.

Warmest Regards,

Danielle S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Beautiful, calm, serene, heritage property in the French colony, very close to the sea. All the major tourist attractions like museum, Aurobindo Ashram, Promonade, Churches, restraunts, park, etc are at walking distance. Auroville and Paradise beach are around 10km from this place. The rooms bear a heritage look with antique furniture and fittings. The food was great and the staff were courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Stayed in room no: 2 on the ground floor. 18ft x 16ft room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest recently, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family. I understand the importance of the hotel being centrally located, especially when one travels with children. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Pondicherry and that the Le Dupleix team has been able to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.
I do hope you will stay with us again, should you visit Pondicherry in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is an old governor house. The owner of the hotel turned the place into a morden hotel while still able to keep those traditional elements. This hotel is full of beautiful details. From the floor to the ceiling, you can find the woodern decor and arts everywhere. The big tree in the centre of the courtyard is a home to some small aminals, like squalls squirrels and geckos.

There are severl communal area for guest to sit and relax. However, october is still too hot for us to sit outdoor.

Room: we have been upgraded to a room 13 at the third floor/top floor. From the room, you can see the whole Pondicherry town/French side. The 4 poles bed is amazing, but it is a little bit high for us to climb up to the bed. The bathroom is huge and clean. The room is a little bit dark and we found a palm size moth in the room in the middle of the night and it really scared us at the beginning as we thought it is a bird! But this do happen in this type of old house. The shower water is warm and the hot water never come. Again, it is not the first time we experienced this in India.

Service: The staff are very friendly and helpful. Imagine that we woke them up at 4am to catch a bird in our room and they were so helpful!

Food: Many variety of food choices. The prawn risotto we ordered is yum~~ and I ordered it again the next day.

The only downside of the hotel is there is no lift. That means you need to walk 3 levels a couple of times a day. It is ok for people with good physical condition but not that easy for seniors.

Room Tip: The rooms (room 3,4,5 I remember) at the ground floor are very small. Request for the roomas at seco...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SydneySamantha
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, it was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our guests. I am glad that you appreciate the true heritage of Le Dupleix and happy to read that the entire team has made every effort possible to make your stay with us comfortable.
Should you revisit Pondicherry in the future I hope to be able to welcome you to Le Dupleix once again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Authentic, traditional, beautiful, hospitality at its very best, from the truly aesthetic decor to the ever smiling staff, it was a wonderful experience. breakfast was good.Rooms all different in each category. love the suite with a swing outside especially with kids they enjoyed a lot. chef made our foods outstanding and uncomparable with other hotels. i got tips from him to make different dishes on my own.

Room Tip: corner room with swing best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jeanpierre love p
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us, it was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our guests and we appreciate your kind review. I am glad that we have been able to provide our services as intended by the management. I am glad the Le Dupleix has been able to make your stay in Pondicherry comfortable and memorable.
I do hope to be able to welcome you to Le Dupleix in the future, should you visit Pondicherry again.

Mumbai
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After much research on various websites we zeroed in on Le Dupleix for our first trip to Pondicherry. It was a memorable experience.an exquisite boutique hotel we were mesmerised by its old world charm.
We tried many restaurants in Pondi but the food here came out tops..big thanks to the chef Lokendar, simple food bursting with flavours..do try the chefs special of the day.
Cant sign off without a big thanks to the wonderfully charming head of operations Danielle Suri who went out of her way to offer fun tips making our trip so full of wonderful memories.
The staff was the most courteous we have met and went beyond their call of duty to make our stay so very pleasant. Big thanks to Robert and Gladys for looking after us so well.

A must must choice of stay in Pondicherry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharoonMumbai
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your husband and having you as our guests. I am happy that you enjoyed Chef Lokendra's cuisine, I shall make sure to convey the compliment to him and his team.
I am glad that Le Dupleix team has been able to make your stay a comfortable and memorable one and I do hope to be able to welcome you to Le Dupleix again upon your next visit to Pondicherry.

Warmest regards,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Choosing Le Dupleix to stay in Pondicherry was a good decision. I enjoyed the peace and quiet I needed. The quaint and heritage feel that this hotel has, is a big plus. The location of the hotel is also ideal as all the important sights of Pondy like the Boulevard, Museum, Gandhi Statue, French War Memorial, Aurobindo Ashram, Church Of Notre Dame Des Anges, Aayi Mandapam and Bharati Park etc are at a walking distance from the hotel.

The hotel offered me a complimentary upgrade from a deluxe room to a penthouse room on my arrival, which was a very pleasant surprise.

I want to express my appreciation for the superior service I received during my stay at the Le Dupleix. In particular, the front office managers Mr. Robert, Ms. Gladys and the F&B Manger James were very helpful and deserve a great deal of praise for their excellent customer service. A special mention here should also go for the chef, whose name unfortunately I don’t remember. The food was excellent and among the best that I have eaten out anywhere in India.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a quiet and comfortable stay with good food in Pondy,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest recently, it was a pleasure meeting you. Your kind review is appreciated by the entire team. I am glad you felt comfortable with us and that the services provided by us met your expectations.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to Le Dupleix upon your next visit to Pondicherry.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Everyone needs to stay here! We stayed at Le Dupleix for two nights, and everything was wonderful. The room we stayed in - nr 9, a normal room on the second floor, not one of the suites - was really nice; the beds were comfortable and everything was clean. It really felt like the staff were doing everything possible do make sure we had everything we wanted, so if you have special needs I am sure they will try their very best to help you. (When they realized it was my birthday they even brought up a cake to the room!) It is possible to have everything on the restaurant's menu delivered to your room, and enjoy it on your private balcony. The food is amazing. and the breakfast too, both continental and south indian items are available, both as a buffet and to order from a menu without extra charge. I would, and will, absolutely stay here again. (The location is also really convenient, close to the beach and the best café in town are on (almost) the same street as the hotel).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guests, it was lovely having you with us and it was a pleasant surprise to see you back for lunch a few days ago. I am glad the Le Dupleix team has been able to make your birthday as well as your stay with us memorable and on behalf of the entire team I thank you for your kind review.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back to Le Dupleix in the future.