“Thank you for renovating Mr.Kapoor”
Review of Le Dupleix

Le Dupleix
Ranked #11 of 85 Hotels in Pondicherry
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Dear Kapoor and the family in Le Dupleix,

It was immense pleasure staying (02Oct-05Oct) with you. We understand the painstaking patience and dedication in restoring the property. We will forever reviere the indulgence in History at this place. The very thought of staring into the mirror that Dupleix once stared into is mesmerising. Thanks to James, Krishna and Daniele for the service and talk.

Thankyou Mr. Kapoor,

For the good thought in restoring and preserving.

Pavan, Shwetha

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Le Dupleix team I would like to thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure meeting you. It gives me great joy to read that you appreciate the restoration as well as the historical value of the building and I am sure Mr. Kapur appreciates your sentiments.
I am glad that my team has been able to make your stay with us a comfortable and memorable one and I hope to be able to welcome you again to Le Dupleix upon your next visit to Pondicherry.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

its a really peaceful place. all the rooms in the hotel are different and each depicts a different story. all rooms are unique in their own way.
food is excellent. the best thing is that everything is in the vicinity. Rock beach is at walking distance.
The rooms will make you feel royal. it was a comfortable stay and a good break.
You can go for walks in the evening. Its very much in the city so really convenient.
rooms are clean and give you a calm feel.
the room tariffs are also perfect.
the staff is cordial.
overall experience was too good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest, it was a pleasure meeting you and on behalf of the entire team, thank you for reviewing us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Pondicherry and that our location as well as our services and facilities have made your stay both comfortable and memorable.
I do hope you will visit Pondicherry again in the future, I am looking forward to welcoming you to Le Dupleix one again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Calm and quite place, just a walking distance away from sea beach, this place offerers you good value for money as this as in old 18th century house converted into Hotel so you get a different feeling, things like large door, window, big varandah (I stayed in room no 5 which has varandah attached), wood work makes it different. In this room with wood work, elevated floor is created which has a seprate bed, sit out and a small TV, this portion was an added attraction, overall good experiance however house keeping is an area of improvement as during our stay we did notice RAT inside the room. Breakfast spread could also be an area for improvement.

Room Tip: Room No 5 has a varandah attached with a big swing, I did not check out second floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nirmalendu M
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family. I am glad you enjoyed Pondicherry and the peace and calm that Le Dupleix offers. I understand your apprehensions about the breakfast, I am currently working out a new concept and hope to be able to put it into place soon. I immensely regret the inconvenience caused by the housekeeping department, and I can assure you that corrective measures have been taken.
I do hope you will visit Pondicherry again and I would be looking forward to be able to welcome you once again as our guest.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is the Governor generals home that's been taken over by Sarovar and converted into a hotel. Loved staying here, it still has a lot of the original decor and old canpy beds with large shutter windows and high ceilings. Its very good value for money and as small as it is, its well maintained with a touch of class. The staff is wonderful and cater to your every need. Easily accessible and one can walk around the area outside the hotel and explore many other old french structures and quirky cafes and stores.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was a pleasure meeting you and having you as our guest. I am happy that you felt comfortable with us and that your stay was a memorable one. I do hope you will stay with us again, should you visit Pondicherry in the future.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We arrived to a free upgrade: a wonderful suite full of colonial style wood panelling for only £80. (I think it was suite # 7) This is one of the best places we stayed in in South India despite the bath tiling and sealant being in urgent need of attention. Le Dupleix is style incorporated! Breakfast on the first morning was great: freshly ground coffee and croissants! Unfortunately, the second morning saw the remaining croissants served up again; now horribly dried out and ...worse still...instant coffee! It took a gentle prompt to bring forth the 'freshly ground'. The food in the restaurant was good quality but make sure you order early. Ours took 45 mins to arrive and then to my dismay, I found myself with chicken not the fish that I had ordered. In a somewhat surreal moment that saw the waitress asserting that I DID have the fish, we were then treated to a plethora of headless chickens as managers scurried around in the belief that the quicker they moved, the more reassured I would be. Rather than wait another 45 minutes for the correct dish, I think they simply cooked me a fish fillet and re-used the sauce from the chicken dish. As it was well past 10pm by this time, I didn't care, but it would have been nice to try the coconut fish sauce that I had ordered. Has anyone else tried it?

Room Tip: First floor rooms, especially Suite 7
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Danielle S, Manager at Le Dupleix, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was a pleasure meeting you. We do try to upgrade our guests whenever possible, I am happy you felt comfortable in room 7.
I apologize for any inconvenience caused at the time of having your meal. I assure you that I have spoken to the concerned people, service standards are being reviewed to ascertain that there is no such reoccurrence in the future.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back at Le Dupleix upon your next visit to Pondicherry.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

It was a fantastic experience staying at Le Dupleix. Warm & memorable service by affable and efficient staff. Food was great and reasonanbly priced. Last but not the least, the location of the property was pretty good with good accessibility.

I definitely would love to return.

Room Tip: Perhaps having a fitness centre at the property would help. We had ayurvedic massage which was great...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for being our guest during your recent trip to Pondicherry, it was lovely meeting you. I am glad we have been able to provide you with our services as intended by the management. I hope you will be returning to Pondicherry in the future and that I will be able to welcome you once again at Le Dupleix.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Have stayed at the hotel a few times and its always been a pleasant stay. Though mostly on a business trip, the ambience and experience makes it feel like a short holiday! Each room has been done differently and i would highly recommend Room no 5 for those seeking the old world experience. With wooden flooring, antique four poster beds and a study, it also has a mezzanine floor done up with comfortable cushions and mattresses. Don't miss to spend some time on the swing outside the balcony of this room! Try out the fushion cuisine in the courtyard if its not too hot and its an awesome experience!

Room Tip: Room no 5 or the penthouses are worth a stay!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review, it's a pleasure having repeatedly welcomed you as our guest. I am happy that even though you come on business, your stay with us makes the trip to Pondicherry like a small holiday.
We do hope to be able to welcome you soon again at Le Dupleix!