“Good place to stay, not very expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Surguru

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pondicherry
Hotel Surguru
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Pondicherry
Chennai (Madras), India
“Good place to stay, not very expensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

If you are looking for a reasonably nice place to stay with no big holes in your pockets, then Surguru might be place for you.

The Good :
1. Large and comfortable rooms for a couple and a kid.
2. Price is quite competitive. Around 2000 INR per night (24 hrs check-in/out)
3. Efficient room service.
4. For south-indian veg cuisines lovers, the restaurant is the best in town!
5. Front desk is helpful in giving tips and advices on Pondicherry.

The Bad :
1. Far away from the beach front. The beach is 2 kms away!
2. Not much choice of food in the restaurant. Completely vegetarian menu.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JaguarIndia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

I selected this hotel, based on the reviews on this site. And I was quite looking forward to the holiday that lay ahead of me. But even before I had started the journey, I was in for a rude shock.
I called up the front desk on 7th Dec, to ask if rooms are available for 24th & 25th Dec. I was told that they were, & that I should drop them a mail, which they will respond to, with the account details of where I have to transfer payment to confirm my booking. I did that, but for next 24 hrs, no response from them. I called again the next day, they told me that the rooms are still available, & that they will respond to my mail shortly. After another 24 hrs wait & follow up call, I finally received the a/c details on 9th Dec, & I transferred the money immediately. But I received a confirmation mail from them on 10th, only after calling them once more, & particularly insisting for the same.
Anyways, the booking was done, & I had the mail. Time to relax…or so I thought.
On 15th, I received a call from them, saying that they have yet not received the payment, & are therefore unable to hold my booking any longer. I mentioned the email transaction that we had, & mentioned that probably they are mistaking me for some other customer, as I have made the payment. They said that they’ll check & call back. But calling back is not their style, no sir. In the next 48 hrs, I called them 6 times, & every time I received the same response – “we’ll check and get back to you in 10 min.” neither would they confirm my booking, not would they clearly tell me that it stands cancelled. Then, finally, on 17th, i.e. 8 days after making the payment & one week before my travel, they told me (on my calling them) – “we are really sorry for the inconvenience ma’am, but your booking is cancelled, as we don’t have rooms available.”

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BlueJoy08
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Hi! First of all let me tell you that our stay at Hotel Surguru wasn't planned at all... infact, we drove down to Pondicherry from Bangalore without any prior plans or itinerary. This being our first trip to Pondicherry, we apparently had no idea about the locales or the places to stay. Being a beach town, we obviously wanted to pick up a hotel nearby the beach, but to our dissapointment couldn't find one...the ones near the beach were either very expensive or not worth staying! So, a friend of mine suggested we try Hotel Surguru although it was located in the town area. We called up the reception desk to ask for directions....and that is when the good experiences began! The lady who answered the phone was extremely polite and helped us with very easy directions to the hotel. There is ample parking space and the initial look and feel was pretty good! We were quite happy to find available accommodation and the tarriffs were very very reasonable! The greeting at the reception was warm and the people were quite helpful in advising us about places worth visiting and also helped us promptly with a map of the town! Rooms were spacious and fairly standard with independent A/C controls in each room. Room service was prompt, food was excellent and hospitality was outstanding! One alert though..the hotel is a vegetarian one and hence you cannot expect non vegetarian food! But there being more than ample and variety of Indian/Coastal and especially conti food options galore in Pondi..you wouldnt need to worry about that. We stayed there for two nights and there wasn't one experience that might count as negative. We needed a morning alarm for leaving early on the departure day and they were quite punctual in that. Overall...a very nice stay in the hotel and it would definitely be our choice of stay when we are next in Pondicherry!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

After an initial booking for 2 nights, we were so comfortable here that we extended our stay by a further week. Good sized rooms, maintained well, very clean and with very comfortable beds. The bedding was good quality, very clean and it was most welcome to have duvets, rather than stiff sheets and scratchy blankets. Helpful Reception man called 'Smiles' answered anything we needed. We only ate at the restaurant twice as the menu does not have anything to help non Indians understand what the dishes are. We did try the dosai's though and they were really good. Great coffee also. Hotel Suguru is recommended.

• Stayed November 2011
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Six of us good pals headed to Pondy for a common pal's daughters wedding....

Stayed overnight at Surguru and found it to be neat and clean.... we were demanding and the service was excellent even late into the night... excellent degree coffee in the morning :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

Hotel is budget type, not properly maintained. Even front look gives u feeling of ill maintenance inside rooms.

Rooms stinks, though staff try to manage to make your stay comfortable.
Ambiance is also not appealing. No internet facility.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

First, when I called over phone to book, they told that they do not take advanced bookings on the Deluxe and Executive Suites, but assured us that they will have rooms available during the time period which I enquired for. And we luckily got the requested rooms. One Executive Suite, and one Deluxe room. The rooms were clean, non-smelly, and comfortable. The Executive Suite had a small foyer where there is a 3 seater sofa and a small LCD TV , and thru a small pathway, it lead to the main room. The main room looked the same size, look and feel as the Deluxe room. The difference in the bath is that the Suite had a bathtub while the Deluxe room did not. The TV had a Dish based connectivity, albeit the channel signals were not great. The bathroom was clean. The EWC had both toilet papers, and the health faucet. The towels were fresh and toiletries were new. The restaurant associated with the hotel was a very popular, and it did keep up to its name. We stayed there for 1 day (afternoon to afternoon), and it was worth the while. The hotel is located on the corner of MG road, the main bazaar road, and walkable distance to the Ashram, the beach, and many other tourist sites. All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family