“adored this rooftop shack!”

New Banana Cafe &Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 396 Restaurants in Pondicherry
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Awesome cool drinks. Even better environment. Open air shack on the 3rd floor. Even in the warm weather the breeze here is so much cooler. We went here twice in three days to spend hours of book reading, surfing the net (they have free wi-fi) , drinking iced-teas and nibbling on salads.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I'm unsure if I should write this review under this Banana Cafe heading or the other one listed on Tripadvisor. Anyhow, I'm sure it doesn't matter as both are the same resturant, but I mention it because I want to give this place maximum exposer because I thoroughly enjoyed my meal here. This resturant is located on Cazy Street, number 48 I think. Inside the decor is nice, interesting paintings on the walls, clean tables and no offensive Hindi dance anthems paying in the background. The food is fresh, tasty and homely. Like something mum would make. I had a mushroom quiche and chocolate cake with ice cream for dessert, my girlfriend had tofu salad and three lemon sodas (thirsty girl) - grand total 425RS. if your looking for fine dinning then this is not the place for you. But if your looking for home style, fresh, tasty food in a clean environement all for a good price then this is the place for you. Check it out!!!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Well we went ther this afternoon arnd 1.30 but it was all quiet n evryone was asleep. They whipped up a tuna salad n roast chicken real quick tho n it was quiet gud. Not much variety tho. There was no fish or prawns like other reviewers recomended.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Last Sunday two of my sisters and I drove down on a whim from Chennai to Pondicherry for the day . The drive was the objective - getting away from urban sounds and hanging out together outside the context of familiar spaces. Just before we left I googled us a fall-back lunch destination since we love our food and would be hungry by the time we reached Pondicherry. I liked what I read about the New banana Cafe .We had a lovely drive down and called Mr Senthil for directions to his place . We found it on quiet old-world Cazy Street without much trouble. We climbed up three flights of stairs with a small worry about how intensely hot the terrace on a HOT day would be. One look and we were happy. The place is all that the reviewers had written about . It was relaxed and charming; quiet and no flash . Even on a hot afternoon it was breezy and cool. There was a crow nesting at a convenient height for us to bird away !The food was refreshing and stayed true to it's European roots while incorporating some delightful Asian twists (ragi and smoked Tofu being examples). We loved the ragi galette and the smoked tofu salad very much. &.I loved the bread from Auroville served here . Mr. Senthil is an attentive host who is happy to help out when faced with food intolerance or allergies. A little advance notice would help here we realised ! Its a lovely place to while the hours away and Mr Senthil also sees the space as a place to hang out in , and not to 'eat & depart' . Would we drive down for lunch here when next we desire a break ? In the whisper of a heartbeat we would , and recommend it to people who will trade in chilli flakes and spices for an excellent herbed home-cooked lunch ;). And the prices tell you that good food need not cost way as much as pretentious places like to make you think it does !

1  Thank suja_wrongsami